Insulin Resistance Diet?

Options
I have PCOS and pre-Diabetes. I have read the insulin resistance diet and it seems would be perfect for me. Ya know, except for eating every 2-3 hours. I may be the only fat person that doesn't like eating often. Any who, do you have any tips on this way of eating? Recipes? Guidelines, etc? Thank you all :)

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen that specific diet but if it's like the one that most people I know who have PCOS or pre-diabetes, it's probably fairly low in carbohydrates. There are special groups in these forums for low carb dieting and possibly even for those conditions specifically. I'd highly suggest you take a look there. It's always best to get support from people who are going through the same thing you are. :)
  • ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thank you So much Sue. I didn't realize there were specific groups like that. I will take a look. Thanks again :)
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I started that diet almost 3 years ago and I lost (and have maintained) a 101 lbs weight loss! I LOVE that diet and I cannot recommend it enough.

The one thing that you need to master is the 30 carb to 15 protein ratio. This is not restricting the foods that you eat, rather it's teaching you how to properly portion your foods. The key is a big portion of meat, small carb, tons of veggies.

With the help of MFP I was able to visually see that carb ratio with every meal that I made. Just eat what you like and weigh it out!

Also, add me as a friend to see my diary. I haven't been logging (since I'm snowed in) but I'm always posting stuff.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    there is a type II diabetes group.. I was recently ( sep-2014) with type II I don't really participate in the group and I don't know about eating every 2-3 hours... although I make sure I get in 3 meals/day and a light (fruit like an apple or an orange) snack in between meals... I need to take my meds with food...IF you really want to help yourself out.. the BEST way to take yourself off the "edge" is to begin lowering your Body fat% and start working out regularly... regular cardio helps your body pump up the natural hormones... and don't get all "anti-carb" what you want out of your food is "slow release carbs" so stay away from things like white bread, white rice, white flour, potatoes and quick release sugars... from things like soda and pulpy fruits that need to be skinned like mangoes, pineapple, melons... Good carbs.. are like colourful fruits and vegetables... fruits with skins... like berries, (but not jams or jellies that have added sugar) apples, oranges, grapes, think of foods that take time to digest and absorb... you want slow release carbs... leafy greens and all kinds of proteins (nuts, eggs, meat, poultry, cheese etc.) and there's nothing wrong with fat... all within reason... bes to fluck to ya :)
  • RavenLibra
    Options
    wow.. that almost came out wrong... BEST of Luck
  • RavenLibra
    Options
    oh.. and feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.. I am here most weekdays :)
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    there is a type II diabetes group.. I was recently ( sep-2014) with type II I don't really participate in the group and I don't know about eating every 2-3 hours... although I make sure I get in 3 meals/day and a light (fruit like an apple or an orange) snack in between meals... I need to take my meds with food...IF you really want to help yourself out.. the BEST way to take yourself off the "edge" is to begin lowering your Body fat% and start working out regularly... regular cardio helps your body pump up the natural hormones... and don't get all "anti-carb" what you want out of your food is "slow release carbs" so stay away from things like white bread, white rice, white flour, potatoes and quick release sugars... from things like soda and pulpy fruits that need to be skinned like mangoes, pineapple, melons... Good carbs.. are like colourful fruits and vegetables... fruits with skins... like berries, (but not jams or jellies that have added sugar) apples, oranges, grapes, think of foods that take time to digest and absorb... you want slow release carbs... leafy greens and all kinds of proteins (nuts, eggs, meat, poultry, cheese etc.) and there's nothing wrong with fat... all within reason... bes to fluck to ya :)

Hahaha! I know that's a typo, but definitely the best line I've read all day! Particularly when spoken by an ostrich.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I don't have your specific dietary needs -- but I am following a gluten-free diet due to my NCGI. I will say, it's really hard at first to change your eating habits and your thoughts about food, but once you do it ... you'll be amazed at the difference in how you feel. That was what helped me stick to it and keep on track. Feel free to add me for support!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I was first diagnosed my doctor drew out a diagram like this:
    balanced-plate.gif?w=650

@toscarthearmada I love how you describe this lifestyle as one of balance. Which I think is so much more important than following one diet or another. Especially any diet which forbids macros, forbids foods. It's keeping everything in balance and never getting too hungry or too full that is important.

@ditsyblond17, you may not appreciate those midday snacks right now but they really do help keep everything stable. But baby steps. Change one habit on another until you have it all figured out.
  • foreheadwax
    foreheadwax Posts: 5
    edited February 2015
    Options
    it's called a high protein diet.

Why is eating FRESH meat and FRESH vegetables soooo hard?
  • rachelem89
    Options
    I have PCOS and insulin resistance. I have lost 85lbs by eating very low carb. I mean low too - less than 30g of carbs a day, and as little sugar as humanly possible! (I have around 20g a WEEK). I have a fair bit of fat in my diet and moderate protein. Loads of non-starchy veggies, good quality meats, natural fats and a small amount of dairy. I avoid milk and yogurt due to the sugar content. I workout (weightlifing & kickboxing) 3-4 times a week with the odd swim chucked in for variety. Even by following a low fat low calorie diet I only lost a few pounds very slowly. Google LCHF. Best of luck! x
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    it's called a high protein diet.

Why is eating FRESH meat and FRESH vegetables soooo hard?

I'm not really sure what this has to do with the original post, but okay...
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I have insulin resistance and read that book. I more or less follow those guidelines, although not 100%. I think it is OK to pair carbs with fat rather than protein and I try to space out my protein throughout the day. My diary is open if you want to look at it. So far have lost 50+ lbs without difficulty. I also exercise a lot, which is crucial I think.
  • ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so, so much for your feedback. I am eager to start linking and balancing my carbs to protein. Currently, I just finished off a box of girl scout cookies and feel like utter rubbish. So now, I hate myself for it and seriously think I should run 10 miles tomorrow. (Don't worry, that's sarcasm.....I don't run.)

But any how, you guys (and gals) are great. Thank you for your success stories. Makes me feel a lot less alone on this vast, difficult journey ahead. Best of luck to you. Or as my friend RavenLibra says, "Bes To fluck to ya." ;)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are insuline resistant, do yourself a favour and do not follow random miracle diets you read about. Either talk to your dr and ask for a sample meal plan, or try the American Diabetes association. Here: www.diabetes.org. They have plain and simple instructions on how to change your lifestyle and eating habits and their advice not only is effective, but actually much simpler to follow than most special "diets" you will google about.
  • beatrix205
    beatrix205 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The Glycemic Load Diet by Rob Thompson is a great book to check out if you have insulin resistance.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic too and I do eat 5 to 6 times a day (usually 6). I eat 3 main meals and then 2 or 3 snacks. The snacks are usually my fruit I eat, serving of blueberries, serving of strawberries, apple, orange, tangerine. (fruit has natural sugars and I have learned to eat them seperate from my meals. I will add berries to my breakfast off and on though). I also eat a string cheese, or cheese and crackers, 1/2 or 1 serving of pepperoni with 1 oz cheese.

Your snacks do not have to be a meal. just a handful of almonds (1 oz), a can of v8 juice. etc
  • kayeiam
    Options
    grrr, I wish I could edit my posts like in past times.... I forgot to mention. I have an open food diary for public, so take a look at how I eat that many times a day. (it took me a couple weeks to get use to it, now I actually feel hungry about every 2 to 3 hrs and look forward to my snacks)
  • kayeiam
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    RavenLibra wrote: »

Hahaha! I know that's a typo, but definitely the best line I've read all day! Particularly when spoken by an ostrich.

That is almost as bad as when I sent an email to my boss and in the subject line I typed the, worked over shift. The problem was I left out the F on the word shift and had sent it before I noticed what it said. Glad my boss has a good sense of humor. She sent me back a reply and said she laughed so hard she almost wet her self. That, that was the best typo she has ever seen... OOOpppsssie LOL
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    If you are insuline resistant, do yourself a favour and do not follow random miracle diets you read about. Either talk to your dr and ask for a sample meal plan, or try the American Diabetes association. Here: www.diabetes.org. They have plain and simple instructions on how to change your lifestyle and eating habits and their advice not only is effective, but actually much simpler to follow than most special "diets" you will google about.
    Not really, most of their recipes are geared to lower carbs but most of their diet plans are well over 100g's a day, some as much as 200 on a calorie reduced diet. Nothing wrong with taking a more aggressive stance on carbs, it is a disease after all and reducing carbs to low levels help tremendously and is more effect, especially for women with PCOS as well. You simply fell for the appeal to authority card.