weight and booze

Options

Replies

• oolitic
    oolitic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to limit yourself to one glass? I have quite an addictive personality, and I used to drink like you do, and while it did take a while to get used to it, I now treat myself to one glass of 170ml of wine each evening. I won't say that I don't want more, but I am seeing the positive effects, and so that helps.
  • lutra
    lutra Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find that to be the same problem than sitting down with a litter of ice cream or a big bag of chips in front of the tv : you munch mindlessly, without even realizing that you do or appreciating the food. You drink mindlessly because the bottle is there, without even appreciating the drink. Take a small glass (like for port), fill it and put the bottle away. If you have to get up every time to consciously pour more wine/alcohol in your small glass, then you will realize how much you drink before the bottle is empty. If it is the gesture that you crave because you have something to do with your hands (like somebody who smokes), make tea or coffee.
  • dagost17
    dagost17 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    YES. My ex-husband liked to drink. And by liked to drink I mean, he had a problem. We'll, that started to rub off on me and I would have a few beers or glasses of wine a LOT of nights with him. And if we went out on the weekends....geeze. I would starve myself at work (fruits and/or veggies) because I knew he was going to make dinner (he liked to cook and not very healthy things) and I still couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing weight or felt flabbier. Now I can't believe I wasted SOOO many calories on alcohol!! I Ditched him, ditched the booze and I lost a dress size in a few months. (well, a lot of that had to do with being stressed and depressed) However, it is so easy to keep off the weight and I can EAT more because I'm not wasting so many calories on booze! I don't feel bloated and gross anymore. Fyi, I'm small too. 5'2.
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    It's not weight necessarily; if you feel like you need a bottle of wine at night just to wind down, you've got bigger problems than just your weight. Probably should find another way to deal with stress.
    I'm not stressed and I don't have an issue I just enjoy it. I don't use it to wind down either. I don't need a drink I just enjoy having a drink there is a difference. It's only recently I've put on this weight as I also have a sweet tooth.
    Needs and wants are pretty closely tied. If you don't "need" it then you will find the power to stop at a reasonable amount aka cutting down. It may not be a "physical" need but it certainly sounds like it might be a psychological need. Not to split hairs, but it sounds like if "enough" doesn't start until the bottle is empty - you may be looking at a need. That being said. Yes. You will more than likely lose weight if you cut down on the wine. You are taking in a lot of sugar and calories.
  • Missbodyrocker
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Real Quick:

I don't mean to come off as snarky or accusatory. I used to drink way too much and didn't see a problem. Eventually, it became a problem.
    Oh for goodness sake I don't drink a bottle of wine every night I'm just saying if I opened a bottle I probably would! Currently I have a fridge full of alcohol but I'm not downing everything by the bottle. The question was about weight loss and alcohol not to jump on the band wagon about what I am drinking and what I'm not! It's rather frustrating!

• zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Oh for goodness sake I don't drink a bottle of wine every night

This was your first sentence:
    I enjoy a drink everyday but really it's not one it's more like a bottle of wine everyday.

• mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    "I enjoy a drink everyday but really it's not one it's more like a bottle of wine everyday." This is from your initial post which is why we are under the impression that you drink a bottle of wine everyday. Did you not mean to say everyday. I would suggest you edit your post in that case. Not judging, just responding to what you actually wrote.
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, YES! Less alcohol, reduced calorie intake = weight loss. However, I definitely enjoy a glass of wine, a beer and or a cocktail. When deciding to lose weight I purposefully included alcohol as I did not want to set myself up for failure because I know I have a glass of something most (4/7) evenings. Here is one other factor when drinking while dieting (DWD); alcohol affects the part of your brain that controls memory and judgement. That being said, I definitely have a different "attitude" when I've had TOO many drinks - my judgement is totally impaired of what I eat or how much I eat which would sabotage my weight loss goals. So a reduction in alcohol intake is necessary. Honestly, I'm trying not to be judgmental and stick to the question - but a bottle a night is not healthy.
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Real Quick:

I don't mean to come off as snarky or accusatory. I used to drink way too much and didn't see a problem. Eventually, it became a problem.
    Oh for goodness sake I don't drink a bottle of wine every night I'm just saying if I opened a bottle I probably would! Currently I have a fridge full of alcohol but I'm not downing everything by the bottle. The question was about weight loss and alcohol not to jump on the band wagon about what I am drinking and what I'm not! It's rather frustrating!
    Actually from your original post you did say "I enjoy a drink everyday but really it's not one it's more like a bottle of wine everyday."
    This could be why people are pointing out that there could be a different problem then just your weight.
  • Missbodyrocker
    Options

[/quote]
    Actually from your original post you did say "I enjoy a drink everyday but really it's not one it's more like a bottle of wine everyday."
    This could be why people are pointing out that there could be a different problem then just your weight.[/quote]

Yeah I agree maybe I exaggerated a bit I can see the point but this is not the AA it's MFP! As I said rather frustrating!
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree maybe I exaggerated a bit I can see the point but this is not the AA it's MFP! As I said rather frustrating!

I think a lot of us think of MFP as a total health site, not just a weight loss site. Hence, my "fitness" pal. So habits detrimental to health would be pointed out, because we're a community that cares about each other's health.

If you were drinking 5 drinks every single night, that would definitely do a number on your liver over time, even if you didn't notice any consequences at first.

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    It's not weight necessarily; if you feel like you need a bottle of wine at night just to wind down, you've got bigger problems than just your weight. Probably should find another way to deal with stress.
    I'm not stressed and I don't have an issue I just enjoy it. I don't use it to wind down either. I don't need a drink I just enjoy having a drink there is a difference. It's only recently I've put on this weight as I also have a sweet tooth.

If you don't need it, just enjoy it, it shouldn't be a problem to stop having it. Maybe just save it for the weekend? Find something else you enjoy drinking (coffee/tea) and have that in the evening.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Oh for goodness sake I don't drink a bottle of wine every night I'm just saying if I opened a bottle I probably would!

You did say exactly that in your opening post.

Please don't take those responses as critical, people are only trying to help. I get exactly the same responses when I mention my drinking too. It's actually very supportive. If it doesn't apply to you, then just don't take it onboard, that is fine.
  • kimberlynicole79
    kimberlynicole79 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Speaking of alcohol and drinking...I have been drinking gin and tonic for the last few months thinking tonic water didnt have calories(per my bf lol) until I went on a plane and ordered one then read the label that it is pretty close to regular soda! I was so mad but it made sense why I felt like I was gaining weight lol. Drink vodka with water and lime. If its good vodka especially will be tolerable.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Awe...don't feel like anyone is trying to put up on you...true this isnt AA, but like you pointed out, its MFP...My Fitness Pal.. Fitness is taking care of your body and all that it takes to be healthy, and Pal..well, we are friends here :) And really, everyone is not only looking out, but also many of us shared that we can relate to what you are going through.

Anyway...its true, all any of us know is what we are told, so what you said about drinking every day was taken literally...but not judgementally since like I said, a lot of us who replied can relate to the love of wine and offered suggestions on how to work with that.

I totally agree with
    lutra wrote: »
    I find that to be the same problem than sitting down with a litter of ice cream or a big bag of chips in front of the tv : you munch mindlessly, without even realizing that you do or appreciating the food. You drink mindlessly because the bottle is there, without even appreciating the drink. Take a small glass (like for port), fill it and put the bottle away. If you have to get up every time to consciously pour more wine/alcohol in your small glass, then you will realize how much you drink before the bottle is empty. If it is the gesture that you crave because you have something to do with your hands (like somebody who smokes), make tea or coffee.

I TOTALLY agree with this...I really enjoy *enjoying* wine, but when Im downing a bottle like I do, its completely mindless...not really savoring it at all. Am thinking too...maybe instead of my 2 Buck Chuck (Well, now its 2.99 lol) to get a nicer bottle of wine that I will actually appreciate instead of just "drinking".

Right now though, since I grounded myself from wine lol I am doing that with making tea after dinner...I bought a few nice varieties and sip on that after dinner instead.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I suggest you log your wine just like everything else you consume and try to limit how much you drink so that it fits into you calorie goal. Going over every once in a while is ok too.
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

emdeesea: That just might be the best profile pic I have ever seen.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am actually in the same exact boat as you right now, I love my wine & can easily down a bottle in one night. I have found that buying mini bottles and only allowing myself that much in the evening keeps me on track. I may have a bit more if we are out to eat or hanging with friends, but at home I stick to the mini bottle. I also pre-log what I expect to drink that night and find that on a 1200 calorie plan I can eat my 3 meals & still have room left for healthy snacks. I believe that if I quit drinking altogether, my weight loss would increase but then I wouldn't be as satisfied at the end of my workday.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have a similar love of wine. Maybe drinking half to 3/4 of a bottle 4 or five nights a week. So, last wednesday I decided to give it up for lent and replace it with exercise- you can't exercise after your dinner if you're tipsy!

Since I don't think being tee-total will suit me I have decided to allow a social drink, out of my own house, so tomorrow I will have a drink with my dinner at the inlaws.

I haven't missed the wine so far, but its early days. I just CANNOT consume 600 or so calories in wine per day and expect to slim down.
  • rsensenig
    rsensenig Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Alcohol will effect weight loss ability due to calories and the way the body processes it. I know several small framed ladies who have fought those last 10 pounds with resistance training and hormone theropy (40 years+).