Water retention after intense weight training?

Options
Hi there everyone.

So recently I have kicked up my diet and excersize to shape up and lose some weight for an upcoming holiday. I'm currently eating 1400 cals per day and I'm an avid runner. I usually run for about 30 minutes about 3-4 times a week.

This week, however, I decided I would do some weight training at a class with my friend. Needless to say I'm suffering from a serious case of DOMS! It was a far more intense workout than I had anticipated and I haven't worked out those muscles in months as I have focused on cardio. This morning I stepped on the scales and I'm 4lbs up!! I have never bloated like this before and its really thrown me off as I've obviously not gained that weight. Could I really bloat this much from DOMS?

Replies

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    In because I had read somewhere that you do hold onto more water when you're really sore, but I have no idea if it's true & would also like to know :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yup, it happens... your muscles store water to aid in repair and protect them from the "damage" (micro tears) from working out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Yup, it happens... your muscles store water to aid in repair and protect them from the "damage" (micro tears) from working out.

Dwight-Schrute-Thats-Very-True.gif
  • itsrainingoutside
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Dwight-Schrute-Thats-Very-True.gif

Good to know. I'm relieved! Thanks guys:)

• akkeri
    akkeri Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Am a runner as well and started HIIT and Cardio. Did the *exact* same thing - up 2kg in a week. Just have to get used to the 'swing' of things :D
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I lost 4 lbs a couple days ago, literally overnight. So, yep!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    The human body is 50-65% water.
  • itsrainingoutside
    itsrainingoutside Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    akkeri wrote: »
    Am a runner as well and started HIIT and Cardio. Did the *exact* same thing - up 2kg in a week. Just have to get used to the 'swing' of things :D
    Definitely! Just have to persevere:)
  • itsrainingoutside
    itsrainingoutside Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I lost 4 lbs a couple days ago, literally overnight. So, yep!

Oh lucky, I did the total opposite! :neutral_face:
  • jahmanrv
    jahmanrv Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Well this is good to know as I have been doing weights and cardio, and was wondering why after a weight day, I have been retaining water. Now I know.
  • martinmcneely1
    martinmcneely1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This happens, I can go up and down Kg's literally within days. Since I've started weight loss it's been mostly losing weight but does go up and down so I always give myself a 'range' to expect myself to be in. Keep hydrated tho.....
  • QueenofGuac
    QueenofGuac Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem. I normally do pure barre every other day. I lose about a half a pound a week but on weeks I stop, I drop 2 pounds in a blink. When I start up again, I pop up two pounds.

Thanks for posting this.... it all makes sense now!