Oatmeal Makes me Hungry

Options

Replies

• DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    lessofme43 wrote: »
    same...I never understand when people say it's a good solid breakfast :neutral_face:

Agreed. Never understood why people spent so much time farting around with oatmeal.

You aren't making it right.

Measure out one cup of oatmeal. Fry up some bacon and eggs. Pour the oatmeal back into the oatmeal container, then eat the bacon and eggs.

I used to eat a bowl of oatmeal with raisins and apple pie spice for breakfast. It tasted just like apple pie and I found it very filling until the noontime feeding.

My husband eats a bowl of oatmeal with butter and salt at 6:45 a.m., then doesn't eat again until 1:30. I think he drinks a boatload of coffee with cream and sugar, though.

• mom2nicknat
    mom2nicknat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Same with me - I cannot have traditional oatmeal for breakfast. A half our later I get starving and get the shakes. I still love it so I eat it at night for my dessert. I don't have issue with steel cut oats - I think it has to do with the glycemic index.
  • panddgon
    panddgon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually have a slice of aunt Millie's low calorie toast with a tablespoon of almond butter with my oatmeal in the morning.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    oatmeal doesn't make me hungry because it hurts my stomach so bad I feel like I'd die if I ate anything else. Usually I can't finish a whole bowl.
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I eat oatmeal as a morning snack instead of breakfast, mostly for that reason. On weekdays I tend to eat every 2-3 hours while I'm at work though so I guess that isn't saying much hah. But as others have said, maybe adding some fruit or nuts to your oatmeal will help.
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Any time I eat oatmeal for breakfast, I am starving by about 10. Is this normal? I guess I need to add protein or just go back to Greek yogurt for breakfast.
    @jennylynn_1983
    To the OG poster did you end up finding a solution? I have been eating steel cut oats for a long time, recently I've been getting hungry immediately after eating them. Not sure if I should add things to the oats or just switch my breakfast to something else?
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Like others are saying, I usually have to add stuff to mine to make it last. (nuts, fruit, seeds,etc.)
  • OneTwentyThree
    Options
    Like others are saying, I usually have to add stuff to mine to make it last. (nuts, fruit, seeds,etc.)

I've tried it with berries seems to have the same effect on me. Have been eating it for the longest time and really don't want to switch to something else. Can't figure out what the issue is.

How many calories of oatmeal are you eating?
    And then how many calories of toppings?
  • nlkklrocks
    nlkklrocks Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I prefer steel cut oatmeal - and I usually have a serving and a half for 225 calories in the morning. You could also add a hard boiled egg for 70 calories. But it's great as a snack instead of breakfast so do what's best for you! I'm actually going to try making baked oatmeal with some protein powder this week :)
  • OneTwentyThree
    Options
    nlkklrocks wrote: »
    I prefer steel cut oatmeal - and I usually have a serving and a half for 225 calories in the morning. You could also add a hard boiled egg for 70 calories. But it's great as a snack instead of breakfast so do what's best for you! I'm actually going to try making baked oatmeal with some protein powder this week :)

I eat steel cut oats as well.. 255 calories. Maybe adding an egg will help, i will try that.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with fruit is a carb heavy breakfast. That is not going to keep everyone full, some-maybe. I can't start my day off with carbs like that, I prefer to carb backload and eat them late in the day-starting the day with protein or even fat keeps me running longer.
  • OneTwentyThree
    Options
    Oatmeal with fruit is a carb heavy breakfast. That is not going to keep everyone full, some-maybe. I can't start my day off with carbs like that, I prefer to carb backload and eat them late in the day-starting the day with protein or even fat keeps me running longer.

I was thinking the carb overload might be the issue as well. So I tried lowering my serving but oatmeal is mostly carbs so I could see why it would still be an issue.
    What do you eat for breakfast?
  • arditarose
    Options

I was thinking the carb overload might be the issue as well. So I tried lowering my serving but oatmeal is mostly carbs so I could see why it would still be an issue.
    What do you eat for breakfast?

I don't eat breakfast. If I'm in a decent deficit I add protein powder to my coffee so I start the day with a little protein.

If I were to eat breakfast, it would be egg whites and vegetables. Maybe a wedge of laughing cow cheese. Or a protein bar. Never more than 200-250 calories for breakfast for me though.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    add protein and fat

This^

I love the fiber that oatmeal provides (soluble and insoluble). But I need more than just fiber for staying power. I make my oatmeal with milk, and add chopped apples (or craisins) & nuts.

Steel cut has such a wonderful texture.
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I used to be starving after oatmeal too but now I eat it every AM.

I use 45g oats with 1 cup of almond milk, 100-150g Greek yogurt, 75g berries + .5 tbsp honey and sometimes chia seeds, sometimes not. I find it very very very filling now. Before I think it was simply lack of protein.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    For it to be filling, I'd have to eat 3-5 servings at one time. One serving is a joke. I would rather have Greek yogurt and some fresh berries for that which is way more filling.
  • OneTwentyThree
    Options
    I used to be starving after oatmeal too but now I eat it every AM.

I use 45g oats with 1 cup of almond milk, 100-150g Greek yogurt, 75g berries + .5 tbsp honey and sometimes chia seeds, sometimes not. I find it very very very filling now. Before I think it was simply lack of protein.

How much calories does that end up.. like 400? How many hours does it keep you full?
  • arditarose
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    For it to be filling, I'd have to eat 3-5 servings at one time. One serving is a joke. I would rather have Greek yogurt and some fresh berries for that which is way more filling.

Ditto. I can eat like 300g of Greek yogurt and that is way more filling. And a huge serving.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal fills me for about 2 hrs....eggs are a different story so I have them most days
    :smile:
  • OneTwentyThree
    Options
    It sometimes feels like as soon as I finish eating the oatmeal I am hungry right away. Like if I didn't eat anything to begin with I would've been better off. It is so strange and started happening out of no where.