What do you think has the lowest calories?

Options
Hi all,

I am going out to dinner tomorrow night at a Swiss restaurant. I don't particularly like eating out as I have no idea what is in the food i'm eating...
Normally i'm pretty good with judging what is least bad for me, but this menu seems ALL bad. Opinions appreciated :)

Thanks!!

Replies

• My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Try a soup. Salads can contain hidden calories and fats depending on how the meat is prepared and the dressing being used. You can also ask for half the order and the other half boxed up in a doggy bag for tomorrow.
  • nutritionenthusiast
    Options
    Woops i was meant to post the link to the menu.. there is no salad :(http://www.urbanspoon.com/cities/337/restaurants/1798008/menu_photos/419006
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for the steak, because you know the weight and can ask for the sauce on the side. The Spatzle will be fairly high in calories, if you like saurkraut, I'd get them to swap out for that and some seasonal vegetables.
  • My_Butt
    Options
    I would probably go with 13M since it seems to be one not in a cream sauce. Only eat half of it since restaurant portions are pretty big.
  • My_Butt
    Options
    I tend to go for the steak, because you know the weight and can ask for the sauce on the side. The Spatzle will be fairly high in calories, if you like saurkraut, I'd get them to swap out for that and some seasonal vegetables.

I like her answer better. Go with this idea.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    why don't you just go out to the restaurant, get what you want, try to log it as accurately as possible, enjoy the meal, and move on the next day …???
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    yum
  • kt277
    kt277 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just get what looks good, chalk it up to a cheat day, and move on with your life hahahah
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Yeah eat the spatzle and then log 400 calories for just that alone because you know it's in cream and cheese and has a ton of high calorie flour.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says 0 pounds to lose. One meal will not make or break you ... enjoy it.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    As a lactose-intolerant person, just reading that menu hurt my gut. They seem like they would make substitutions due to dietary restrictions based on the symbols on the bottom, so maybe you can ask them to swap the cream sauce for tomato sauce in the veggie lasagna. That, or the steak with the sauce on the side (or ask more mushrooms without cream) and subbing Spatzle for something else as Alatariel75 suggested.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,930 Member
    Options
    Hi could I have the steak, medium/medium rare, please and would you kindly trade my starch for extra veggies no sauce or butter or margarine on top of any of my food please. Glass of water with a slice of lemon. Thank you.

*substitute any of the other meat items if you don't want to go for the more expensive steak--you are still avoiding sauces and starches and other high calorie items.

a 6 to 8oz steak and veggies will be what? Anywhere from 500 to 800 calories.
  • amf0324
    amf0324 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yikes that's a tough menu to choose from! I agree on beef but be careful about sauces and sides...
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I'd do #1 or #10, both with sauce on the side.

Chicken is something you can usually eat quite a lot of, as far as calories. The steak is probably the next best choice. Some of those dishes, like goulash, can easily rack up to a 1000+ calories, depending on preparation. I'd try to avoid that.

• nutritionenthusiast
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone, I appreciate the help!

And it's not so much for weight loss, I just know it's bad for me (any of them) so i'm trying to minimise the crap I put in.

And it's not that one meal won't 'make or break me', i've recently had the past two weeks of over eating and eating crap. I'm trying to get back into my good eating behaviours. Don't want to potential fall back when i'm only recently getting back to it! :)
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Asked for steamed veggies (no butter), choose grilled over fried, ask for sauces on the side...
  • nutritionenthusiast
    Options
    amf0324 wrote: »
    Yikes that's a tough menu to choose from! I agree on beef but be careful about sauces and sides...

It is a very tough menu! :) I ormally have no problems choosing something half-healthy... but i've never eaten this sort of food so i don't know what's in it or how it's cooked :O
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It's standard central European fare (German, Swiss, Austrian) ... most will be either broiled, pan fried, or roasted. The cordon bleu will be breaded. The "creamy mushroom sauce" should be a slightly thickened gravy with mushrooms if they're being authentic. The filet without the sauce is decent sized piece of beef. The currywurst is a sausage with curry sauce (usually what is best described as a seasoned ketchup type sauce) with fries. Spätzle is delicious, but calorie rich ... even moreso when cheese gets mixed in.

If you can eat pub food at a place like Pig & Whistle, you can survive a dinner at that Swiss place.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I eat out very rarely...it sounds like you do the same...just enjoy yourself, an evening out is pretty damned irrelevant to the big picture.
  • joanjettsmyt
    Options
    Go for a run or walk before you go and then just use good judgement.
    Go easy on the sauces, meats etc and don't eat anything fried. Avoid breads, keep potatoes to a small serving.
    Then try to pile extra salads and vegies on your plate. If it's not a regular occurrence then just enjoy