Lifting belt

Options
2»

Replies

• jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!

I prefer to try things on in person, but not if it means choosing between a tapered belt thats 2 inches in the front or a nylon velcro belt. :)
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I highly recommend bestbelts.net They custom fit them and are made here in USA. Get the athlete belt and pick his favorite color. You will have to have his measurement around his belly button, not his pants size. That will be the middle hole. I have one and most people who frequent startingstrength.com recommend them.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    34blast wrote: »
    I highly recommend bestbelts.net They custom fit them and are made here in USA. Get the athlete belt and pick his favorite color. You will have to have his measurement around his belly button, not his pants size. That will be the middle hole. I have one and most people who frequent startingstrength.com recommend them.

I second this. Unfortunately they do not do lever belts, just single and double prong. They are really good belts. They also do a 3" one that may be better for short people.

They have also just been approved by the USAPL and IPF for their meets which is great news.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I will scope those as well. ty
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

To answer the question you did ask, I would buy a 4", 10mm belt. Not the type that is wider in the back, that bad boy should be 4" all the way. I would buy a lever belt since that's what he wants, but I prefer a single prong belt myself.

To answer the question you didn't ask, I wouldn't buy a belt unless you intend to compete in a strength sport. I personally never train with one, because training beltless affords more core development. Belts are NOT a safety thing. They allow you to move more weight by giving your abs something to brace against. You can bet your buns that I wear one at a powerlifting meet.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    To answer the question you did ask, I would buy a 4", 10mm belt. Not the type that is wider in the back, that bad boy should be 4" all the way. I would buy a lever belt since that's what he wants, but I prefer a single prong belt myself.

To answer the question you didn't ask, I wouldn't buy a belt unless you intend to compete in a strength sport. I personally never train with one, because training beltless affords more core development. Belts are NOT a safety thing. They allow you to move more weight by giving your abs something to brace against. You can bet your buns that I wear one at a powerlifting meet.
    Question. I have seen it suggested to use them occasionally in training as "practice" for engaging your core; giving your stomach something to brace against makes you realize what correct bracing feels like. So use it for one set maybe once a week or once every few weeks.

Thoughts? (I haven't invested in a belt yet, but engaging my core is something I struggle with if I don't consciously think about it. But then I forget hip drive. TOO MANY THINGS INVOLVED IN SQUATING!!)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Question. I have seen it suggested to use them occasionally in training as "practice" for engaging your core; giving your stomach something to brace against makes you realize what correct bracing feels like. So use it for one set maybe once a week or once every few weeks.

Thoughts? (I haven't invested in a belt yet, but engaging my core is something I struggle with if I don't consciously think about it. But then I forget hip drive. TOO MANY THINGS INVOLVED IN SQUATING!!)

There are other breathing techniques you can utilize to help with breathing/bracing.

For example:

I really only try to use belts on max effort attempts (at least for the past few months).
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

There are other breathing techniques you can utilize to help with breathing/bracing.

For example:

I really only try to use belts on max effort attempts (at least for the past few months).

Interesting. I think I'll give that a try at home (I have a feeling I'd look like an idiot at the gym...). And it's much cheaper than buying a belt which I don't feel that I need yet considering my lifts aren't that heavy.