Lo carb breakfast ideas

Options
I really could use some help with lo carb breakfast ideas. I gave up bread, pasta, rice and potatoes for lent. So it's basically been eggs, fruit, and yogurt for breakfast. Nuts aren't an option either since I have a child with an allergy. Thank you!!

Replies

• ican_doallthings
    Options
    I know you named eggs, I enjoy spinach pepper and feta omelets when I have time to make a good breakfast. I also buy a bunch of bananas every so often and freeze them once they are very ripe, and I mix it with other varieties of frozen fruit in a blender for smoothies. Smoothies are great and I can drink them on the way to work.
    Hope this helps!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I do blended coffee and string cheese or baby bels. The coffee I add heavy whipping cream and coconut oil, and the fat and protein are enough to keep me full until around 2pm most days. Depending on what kind of cheese, it comes in between 350-450 calories.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Refried beans with some cheese on top.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I know you named eggs, I enjoy spinach pepper and feta omelets when I have time to make a good breakfast. I also buy a bunch of bananas every so often and freeze them once they are very ripe, and I mix it with other varieties of frozen fruit in a blender for smoothies. Smoothies are great and I can drink them on the way to work.
    Hope this helps!

How are bananas low carb?

For someone eating low carb, a large banana can have a whole day's worth of carbs.

I like cottage cheese with a 1/2 serving of fruit for breakfast--usually a lower carb, lower GI fruit like cherries or raspberries.

Frittata/tortilla espanola is another good option--lots of veggies, no potatoes.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Most mornings I eat a bagel with smoked salmon and cream cheese, but sometimes I take the bagel out of the equation (OK, I only do this when I run out of bagels, but still) and make smoked salmon rolls filled with cream cheese. It has less calories than you'd think and all the fatty, protein goodness I find very filling.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Um....hellooooo....BACON!!!

:-)
  • shraniken
    shraniken Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast so much I just cut out lunch to make more room for it.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon/sausage
    Protein pancakes (lots of various low or no carb recipes online that are easy)
  • kxforg
    kxforg Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do little quiche's but instead of the crust i put them in muffin tins sprayed with non stick spray. You can fill them with lots of yummy things like onions (I like grilled), bacon, sausage, spinach, kale and loads of hard cheese like parm or cheddar. They make a great snack too.
  • lefreitag
    lefreitag Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try protein shakes with almond milk-- unless your child is allergic the almond milk. Like the previous commented, I've done chicken sausage, or chia seeds with almond milk, also you can do a lot with eggs... I've made fritattas with veggies and put them in muffin tins to eat for the week, also remember that you don't necessarily have to eat "breakfast food" for breakfast!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Protein shake with additional protein powder and coconut oil.
  • OregonButterflygrl
    Options
    The bananas and bagels are not lo carb unless you use LO CARB COMPANY bagels and they are not the greatest.
  • OregonButterflygrl
    OregonButterflygrl Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    BTW...
    The almond milk was unpalatable to me. It was like Kaopectate (medicine). You really have to have a taste for it so buy a small container to try. You have to use the unsweetened for it to be lo carb. Ugh. The quiche idea was great. So were the beans in moderation.

Go to a company online that sells lo carb stuff. You can get a lot of great things like Big Train pancakes or muffins.
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Mix up an egg & 2 oz of cream cheese in a mug, put a bit of cinnamon on it & a tiny bit of Splenda -35 seconds in the microwave eat with 2 carbs worth Whipped Cream (from the can) and 1/2 cup of fresh berries.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Bacon, sausage, egg, chicken, steak.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Given that OP was doing it for Lent, it's probably not really an issue anymore.
  • jnlamppert
    jnlamppert Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    mix 1 egg with 1 scoop of protein powder and make a pancake... generally has about 1 carb depending on the protein powder you use.