Weight Lifting Yes or No? ?

Options
Still losing weight but I've been told not to lift weights because I'll build muscle over fat. Is that even possible? I just do Cardio for 45 to an hour. Would like to tone up

Replies

• Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    that's ridiculous. You should definitely do weight training unless you have some physical condition that counter indicates it.
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You won't build muscle over fat. That's silly.

and if it was actually possible- THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

Seriously though, look into a good program. Like, idk, New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I would definitely add some form of strength training to your routine a couple days a week to start toning up. My personal trainer, through the weight management program I am in, said that I needed to strength train to prevent having loose, saggy skin from the cardio and calorie restriction.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    No, that's not really possible. If you're losing weight, you won't be gaining muscle. You'll save the muscle you DO have rather than losing it along with the fat.

I lifted all through my deficit. You can look at my results in my profile if you want.

I truly believe your end result will be nicer, and you might not have to set such a low goal weight, if you lift in a deficit.
  • jmurguia78
    jmurguia78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the info
  • jmurguia78
    Options

Seriously though, look into a good program. Like, idk, New Rules of Lifting for Women.
    thanks I'll look into it

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    yes lift weights and no you wont build muscle over fat. if you are eating in a deficit you wont gain much muscle if any(some newbie gains) but you will preserve any lean muscle you have(make sure you get enough protein as well) and it will help burn fat too.It will help lean you out as well.you cant tone muscle you can strengthen them and get stronger and "look" more toned but there is no such thing as toning.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    who the heck told you that? WRONG
    Lift Lift lift.
    Trust your instincts because there are many benefits to lifting, it will aid in weight loss, add strength, boost metabolism.....
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great exercise, but won't really tone up the muscles. Most current research leans toward the fact that most women over-do the cardio while trying to lose weight. I think 25 to 35 minutes a couple of times a week with some weight training will probably give you better results. In short, building the muscles will make you look shapely and tone.
  • jmurguia78
    Options
    Lift Lift lift.
    Trust your instincts because there are many benefits to lifting, it will aid in weight loss, add strength, boost metabolism.....
    some guy from the gym told me that
  • arditarose
    Options
    jmurguia78 wrote: »
    Lift Lift lift.
    some guy from the gym told me that

Some guys from the gym have told me a lot of stuff. I usually don't listen.
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    not even possible. I am not an expert, but I do work with weights 3 times a week. I'm still fluffy (but 20 lbs less fluffy than when I started!), but I've felt stronger, can lift heavier, and my muscles are firmer and more defined under my skin. Having more muscle will only help your weight loss, and will help you look good when you get rid of the extra fluff.
    Good luck in your journey, and go lift something heavy!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Unless you want that skin and bone look with saggy skin...then I would start lifting asap.
  • jmurguia78
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your Info. Talk about Insight ☺thanks Ya'll
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Yes, lift.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm working on losing about 40 lbs and started Strong Lifts earlier this month 2x/week. I swear, I lost more than a pant's size within this time frame. Fat pants were tight-ish when I started and now my jeans, a size LOWER, fit a touch loosely. That's in less than a month along with a calorie deficit and 2x/week yoga.

Lift. You're body will respond very favorably.
  • arditarose
    Options
    jmurguia78 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your Info. Talk about Insight ☺thanks Ya'll

No prob! Anytime a guy at the gym gives you information, go research it online or ask here :)
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It is important to get a variety in our nutrition and exercise. I think we need to do strength training as well to build or maintain a good base of muscle. It burns more calories, it ramps up the metabolism, it increases our daily movements (burning further calories), and it reduces injury to the body.
  • MynameisJerryB
    MynameisJerryB Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    yep, what everybody else said. You wont get big from regular excercise but you will get stronger
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    LIFT!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!