What is a good/tasty and low-calorie substitute for olive oil in salads?

Options
The most calories in my salad come from olive oil I use. It's ridiculous! What can I substitute it with? I am lactose intolerant so yogurt won't work. I'm not willing to use just balsamic vinegar. I need to find something low-calorie that works as a binder and has similar texture to olive oil. Any suggestions?

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    you aren't going to like it, but I recommend you stick with oil. You may need to use less dressing. The advantage of using an oil is that it is healthy and it is important so your body can use the fat soluble nutrients in the salad.
  • captivatedlife
    captivatedlife Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I use greek yogurt mixed with herbs, garlic and salt as one of my go to dressings. There is a good one on food network - light italian dressing.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    you aren't going to like it, but I recommend you stick with oil. You may need to use less dressing. The advantage of using an oil is that it is healthy and it is important so your body can use the fat soluble nutrients in the salad.

I agree totally. Olive oil is amazing, do not give it up or substitute it with anything else. A little goes a long way.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »

I agree totally. Olive oil is amazing, do not give it up or substitute it with anything else. A little goes a long way.

Me three. In an average salad I use a teaspoon per large portion of salad, which is only 40 cal. Totally worth it for both taste and nutrition.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar for me. Olive oil is great but I already use it to cook with and it's in some of the things I get at a salad bar during the work week already.
  • AnnaNutBread89
    AnnaNutBread89 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use lemon juice
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Mustard? I mix balsamic, mustard, and olive oil, but you may be able to get away with skipping the oil. I personally like it, and I use 10g in my salad, which is only about 80 calories. Or, if I'm doing taco salad I'll use salsa instead of salad dressing.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I have found that if your salad is more veggies and less greens, the dressing spreads way farther. Choose veggies you like. I think common ones include tomato, cucumber, zucchini. Maybe add a bit of fruit. Fresh herbs. And then some greens, but keep it mostly bulky, like "have a few greens with your veggies" sort of a ratio. I like baby spinach, which also allows the dressing to spread well, because it's smooth.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I use 1 teaspoon olive oil with 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar salt pepper and lemon juice
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Ellaskat wrote: »
    I use 1 teaspoon olive oil with 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar salt pepper and lemon juice

I like this. Olive oil is so good, giving you long term satiety.

Diamonds are small and expensive too but who wants to give them up?

• spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    If I have a complex meal salad with meat or s pile of cottage cheese, I have learned to skip dressing but I add a heathy sprinkle of good salt.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I use guacamole and melted cheese instead of a dressing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    stick with the olive oil...it's good for you...just use less if you're worried about the calories.
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I bought one of those Misto sprayers that you can fill with your own oil and use instead of nonstick spray. It isn't perfect, but it's handy for stuff like salads. A little goes a long way.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Talkradio wrote: »
    I bought one of those Misto sprayers that you can fill with your own oil and use instead of nonstick spray. It isn't perfect, but it's handy for stuff like salads. A little goes a long way.

This sort of thing is great. Also, get a massive bowl and stir the bejezis out of your salad so the little oil you use is well distributed.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    lemon juice. Salads need nothing more.
  • yolo9752
    yolo9752 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Less olive oil plus more lemon juice or good quality vinegar with fresh herbs. I love greek yogurt on my sleds without lettuce as well (tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, onions)
  • Mapes84
    Mapes84 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I use only about a teaspoon of olive oil and mix it with a generous amount of white balsamic vinegar. You really don't need much at all!
    kurocho wrote: »
    The most calories in my salad come from olive oil I use. It's ridiculous! What can I substitute it with? I am lactose intolerant so yogurt won't work. I'm not willing to use just balsamic vinegar. I need to find something low-calorie that works as a binder and has similar texture to olive oil. Any suggestions?

• rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms has a really good vinegarette style dressing, it only has 25 calories in 2 tablespoons. I love their dressing line, it's delicious.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Personally, olive oil enhances the taste slightly for me. You could just skip the olive oil and put lemon. It's going to feel a bit dry but it should taste somewhat the same. Personally, I use olive oil with everything. It's good fat! :)