Tell me about Zumba!

Options
My gym offers Zumba classes a couple times a week, and I was thinking of trying it out. However, I know very little about it, besides the fact that it's a type of latin dancing cardio exercise. I'm pretty out of shape, but I'd like something more interesting to mix up my cardio routine, so i'm not just doing it all on the elliptical or walking on the treadmill. What can I expect from Zumba? Is it really worth my time? Thanks!

Replies

• Greenbomb
    Greenbomb Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I only went once and it wasn't for me. The instructor moved very fast and I am sure was a professional dancer. I had a very hard time keeping up and ended up frustrated. But...that's just me.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I recently started doing zumba at home, and I've fallin in love. It's really fun, upbeat, and I hardly feel like I'm working out. I'd see if you can just try out a few classes first to see if you like it, that way you'll know if you like the class and the instructor. Especially if it's a class you have to sign up and pay for, cause you don't want to have to pay for it and then find out you don't like it.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I don't have to pay for these classes, they're included with my membership. So technically I could just try it out whenever, but before I jump in headfirst, I wanted to know what I'm getting myself into, lol.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I simply love it!! Sure the first few times I'd be lost with the moves, but as long as you're moving and trying to keep up, you're exercising... and you get the hang of the dancing in a couple of classes. It's really fun cardio to do!! :smiley:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I love it! The instructors here let newcomers know that they don't have to do all the moves - try and keep up with the feet first - and feel free to modify to your ability. I started doing it when I was quite obese and even though I shuffled instead of bounced, the fun and energy was contagious.

I think it comes down to do what you love. If it's not for you, do something else.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    It's dancing pretty much with a small workout snuck in. If you have a good instructor, then they'll break down the moves pretty well so that everyone isn't tripping over their feet the entire time.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I've done a couple of the zumba type classes. They are fun, sweaty, and everyone understands that the new folks don't have it all down yet (They were there once, after all). It is kind of like line dancing at a much higher pace.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    It's fun as hell. It's a combination of Latin dancing and hip hop, basically. It's easy to forget that you're working out because you're having such a good time.
  • dawnlouisem
    dawnlouisem Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like it a lot. I kind of hate working out just for the sake of working out. I need a little fun as an incentive. You can definitely wing it at first, and after a few classes you'll see that there are a few steps that get used over and over again. After you get the steps you can up the intensity. I found it easier than another gym-sponsored dance class that I tried.
  • noaddedsugarx
    noaddedsugarx Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I used to have zumba for the Wii and I loved it! I went to my first class last month and I really enjoyed it. I found the moves fairly easy to pick up and loved the energy!
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba! Well, I love it with my instructor and I'm sure having a good/helpful instructor is a huge part of whether or not you will have a good experience. The first time I went I felt so out of step compared to those around me that I briefly considered leaving after only 15 minutes. I was so frustrated and embarrassed! I ended up staying and I now go to class every Monday. Your body learns the dance steps pretty quickly so I recommend sticking with it if you are having fun, even if you feel like you suck haha. That feeling of being totally lost eventually goes away. And no one else is watching you and cares if you miss a step or two.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If there is no cost to yourself other than time, just go for it. Only you will know if you enjoy it or not. Don't let indecision rule you, especially with something so trivial.

Best case scenario, you love it and find your passion, you lose a ton of weight and become a world famous Zumba person.

Worst case, you don't like it, never do it again. Lost and hour of your life, but at least you burned about 250 calories.
  • pcaakes
    pcaakes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I try to do as many different kinds of classes and exercise as possible. Im not looking for any one particular exercise to love but home that I will not get bored. Zumba has been growing on me. At first I felt like I was stumbling all over but now I'm getting the routine down. Tonight's class is a kick boxing class right after work. That too is fun! The more the merrier ~ cheers
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Just try it! Zumba is where I started and it quickly became my soul mate workout. Now I'm obsessed with all types of workouts but Zumba is where it all started. It might not be for you but you'll never know if you don't try!
  • KatieJo722
    KatieJo722 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Go!!! I used to take every fitness class my gym offered EXCEPT zumba because I didn't think it was a real workout. Then I took a class and I was hooked. It was high intensity and it pushed me to work out hard! Sure the first few classes can be frustrating but I'd recommend going at lest 3 times before saying no thanks. Give yourself a chance to learn the moves. I know I burn a ton of calories during zumba but don't even think about it during the class because I'm having too much fun just dancing. With the treadmill or elliptical I remember always watching the calorie counts.

Let us know how it goes! And remember, you burn the same amount of calories if you go right or left :)
  • boobear264
    boobear264 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love zumba. I dont live close to any place that offer classes, but I have it for the wii and got a Dvd set. Im not a dancer at all but after a few days I was able to keep up.Its a lot of fun and I have lost almost 50 lbs adding it to changing my eatting habbits.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio. Zumba is helpful for me because it gets me moving when I can't bear to do anything else. Good on Saturday mornings!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If it's a good Zumba instructor, she/he will have good visual cueing skills and occasional verbal cues. The songs will include about three or four different moves (max 5) so that by the end of a song, you will have done each one two or three times. She/he will also not teach to the front row, but will be aware of people in back, who are probably new.

A good Zumba instructor tries to get to know people in her/his class or at least smile when she/he sees them. A good Zumba instructor chooses a variety of music that is Latin, international and a variety of American pop, country, hip-hop (not me), etc.

A good Zumba class makes you feel great and makes you not realize you are exercising. Ditch the Workout, Join the Party is the motto of Zumba. You should leave a class slightly out of breath and smiling. If you live on the right coast (East coast) you probably will be silent during the class even if the instructor asks you to whoop or sing along. If you live on the left coast (West coast) you will probably be shouting and singing along. (I'm of the East coast variety)

If none of these things are happening, find another class. Every instructor is different and some of the stuff I just said is incorrect. If you like complicated choreography (I like attending them, but don't teach with it); if you like to whoop and sing along on the East coast or you're silent on the West do what makes you happy.

And finally, if you don't get the steps, make it a solo. Just keep moving and keep coming. The choreography and song choices usually stay the same for a while so after a few classes you'll start to get it. That's how the front row became the front row. :D

And, while you're at it, try an Aqua Zumba class (my specialty) or a Zumba Gold class (which is a bit simpler). And if you don't know - there are Zumba Toning and Zumba Step classes as well.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do think I will go ahead and give it a try once I can kick this cold I've had all week. I do enjoy all of the different genres of music that were mentioned, and I enjoy moving and shaking when a good song comes on, so why not? :)
  • nesian_twin
    Options
    It is fun and I love it!