calories burned from lifting

Options
So the MFP database...when I lift weights for 30 to 45 minutes...it does not say that I burned very many calories. Is it right?

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Lifting doesn't burn a ton of calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Correct, weight lifting burns minimal calories. I never account for them.
  • Geekymonkey99
    Geekymonkey99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I heard lifting even burns less than what a heart rate monitor says. The nice thing is that having more muscles ups your metabolism, though.
  • werobins
    werobins Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    well...dang...I enjoy lifting way more than running...gotta do it...boooooo
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    werobins wrote: »
    well...dang...I enjoy lifting way more than running...gotta do it...boooooo

I hate cardio. I mostly lift. Cardio here and there to eat a little extra or help maintain.
  • dawkpound2k
    dawkpound2k Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    calorie burn depends on your intensity level while lifting. The Exercise and the amount of weight u lift will change your burn greatly. for example Heavy Squats will burn more than dumbell curls. but the reality is you won't burn many calories lifting weights. but it will totally change your body comp
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've always gone with the MFP suggestion and found it worked for me.

It is very hard to estimate but the way I see it is MFP gives me a little extra, but not so much as if it was overinflated would kill my deficit
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    In the short term, the calorie burn is minimal. You may even find that you retain quite a bit of water after hard workouts to repair and rebuild muscles, so you may even gain a pound or do, but it's just water and it'll come off in a day or so.

In this longer term, as you build muscle, you'll burn more calories even while at rest. And it isn't just about numbers on the scale. Better muscle tone will make you look and feel better and give you more self confidence regardless of where you are in your overall goals. It's one of the best investments you can make for your long term health.
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting weights for seven years now, and I can assure you that it's a great calorie burner and a great body toner! You burn calories from challenging yourself...lifting weights that are just a bit out of your comfort zone. Your body will tone and change as you continue with this program. It's not a quick fix. And when you are lifting weights, keeping the correct form is a must, otherwise you may hurt yourself. If you want to know more, please feel free to ask me.
  • cargola8
    Options
    So the MFP database...when I lift weights for 30 to 45 minutes...it does not say that I burned very many calories. Is it right?

I do circuit training, which is basically weight lifting at a faster pace. It burns a ton of calories!

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    cargola8 wrote: »

I do circuit training, which is basically weight lifting at a faster pace. It burns a ton of calories!

Based on….
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Lifting doesn't burn a lot of calories. I call it delayed gratification.
  • weightsnbakes
    weightsnbakes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor and lift three times a week. After my weight lifting I then do 3 sets of body weight matrix, which is basically body weight exercises performed without rest, with a 90 second rest between sets. It's all about getting your hear rate up and moving. If you lift heavy, like deadlifts for example, your heart rate will be ramped up. The benefit to lifting is in the long run like previous posters have said. You will build muscle which will increase your metabolism and burn calories at rest. I also do cardio twice a week. I like interval training which again, gets your heart rate up. Don't stop lifting, it's great for you.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    From the Help section of MFP
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/11170-why-don-t-you-calculate-calories-burned-for-strength-training-

HRMs do not accurately calculate calories burned from lifting.