Is Paleo the Answer?

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Sure, if your goal is to ramp up your cholesterol and improve your odds of developing heart disease, kidney dsease, cancer, stroke and osteoporosis.

wut?
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have been doing it for 2 years - we won't go back. I know many others who've done it, love it, and have achieved great results.

I'm betting most people commenting on it haven't tried it for more than a week.
    I've done the Eat Clean Diet for over a year prior to this. Th Eat Clean Diet is basically word for word what the general consensus is for a 'healthy diet' (low saturated fats, lots of lean protein, high in complex carbs, zero processed foods, eat plenty of small meals per day, counting calories, be active).

My results have been much better with Paleo and I'm much more satiated which makes it such that I can maintain my weight much more easily without counting calories.

If you think you can sustain it, I say give it a go. It's not super easy, but in my opinion it's worth it.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    InfinitePoss.

Here are some websites where you can read up on Paleoi/Primal so ypu can make an informed decision.

http://www.archevore.com/
    http://eatingacademy.com/
    http://everydaypaleo.com/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
    http://robbwolf.com/
    http://thepaleodiet.com/

Then, if you decide to make the switch and want some serious information:

Loren Cordain “The Paleo Diet”
    Robb Wolf “The Paleo Solution”
    Mark Sisson “The Primal Blueprint”
    Mark Sisson “The Primal Blueprint 21 day Total Body Transformation”
    Gary Taubes “Good Calories, Bad Calories”

And now that you have received all the negative comments from people who probably have never tried it, go to the Paleo/Primal group on MFP. You will get direct answers to your questions from people that are living it.
  • GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you are at on your weight loss journey! A calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight! It doesn't matter if that deficit is reached through a calorie reduction or exercise. Paleo is a very good plan, however it is not the only plan that will get you weight loss. Paleo or paleo like plans where you consume whole foods as close to thier natural state will help you not only lose weight they will also help you rid yourself of a slew of other problems you may or may not be aware of.. ie allergies, intestinal irregualrity, fatigue, depression.. the list goes on and on =)
    However for someone that has more than 20 or so lbs to lose eating this limited variety of foods can lead to diet failure.
    I would recommend eating a reduced calorie diet, getting in some good old workouts that make you break a sweat and even gasp for air at times and eat a balanced diet mixed w as much whole foods as possible and slowly reduce the processed foods until you are acclimated to the changes. Good luck

BTW I am a Certified Personal Trainer w Nasm and have been over weight myself before so I can tell you from the science aspect and also the first hand aspect =)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Processed foods like cheetos, corn flakes, special K bars, are not good for anyone whether following a paleo lifestyle or not though. You dont have to go Paleo to go unprocessed.

I question the first sentence, vigorously.

You don't have to go unprocessed to be healthy, and stay healthy.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Also, what is "modified paleo"?
    I am thinking the same thing..

Its a way to say you're paleo and then not follow it strictly.

Eat more whole foods, feel fuller, eat less cals, lose weight... you can even throw moving more into that plan. Paleo is not THE answer, it's not a miracle diet. Eating at a deficit is how you lose weight. If you don't have a gluten intolerance or dairy intolerance then you don't need to eliminate them.

so basically, more a modified SAD than modified PAleo.

I won't say that Paleo.Primal is the answer for everyone... But I broke a year long plateau by changing to Primal, and eating the same calories. Feel WAY better too. YMMV.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I tried paleo for a day...until I realised it took me 8 hours to plan one meal and I couldn't buy the ingredients at normal stores.

really? Its not that hard to get a free-range steak and serve with some veggies...come on now!

In some areas it is. No grocery, butcher or health food stores in my area carry organic or grass fed beef, pork or turkey. The local Kroger (grocery chain) has just started carrying organic chicken. Prices start at $6.99 a lb. for bone-in skin on legs (only). Chicken is the only organic meat available without driving many miles, or buying from the internet which is very expensive.

Tyson boneless skinless breasts are $2.99 lb and regularly go on sale for $1.99. (not looking for an argument on the ills of Tyson, just showing how price is prohibitive for some).
  • pattyproulx
    Options
    Processed foods like cheetos, corn flakes, special K bars, are not good for anyone whether following a paleo lifestyle or not though. You dont have to go Paleo to go unprocessed.

I question the first sentence, vigorously.

You don't have to go unprocessed to be healthy, and stay healthy.

Curious to know which of those 3 you'd consider 'good for you', so much that you would 'vigorously' disagree with the poster.

All 3 of those are crap. That's not to say you can't be healthy and still eat them, but you're deluding yourself if you think those are good for you.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

Eat more whole foods, feel fuller, eat less cals, lose weight... you can even throw moving more into that plan. Paleo is not THE answer, it's not a miracle diet. Eating at a deficit is how you lose weight. If you don't have a gluten intolerance or dairy intolerance then you don't need to eliminate them.

I won't say that Paleo.Primal is the answer for everyone... But I broke a year long plateau by changing to Primal, and eating the same calories. Feel WAY better too. YMMV.

Doubtful. Were you diligently tracking calories while you weren't on paleo, as in measuring everything you ate and sticking to a deficit consistently? There is a difference between eating more as in volume of food and eating more as in caloric intake. Yes, with paleo, just like MOST minimally processed diets, you will feel fuller because you are eating mostly nutrient dense foods vs. calorie dense foods. Whole foods diets make overeating more of a challenge, therefore decreasing caloric intake.
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If the question is "What causes every thread to turn into a pissing match?" then yes, Paleo is the answer.

Love how you got that in first. I lol'd. :P
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Doubtful. Were you diligently tracking calories while you weren't on paleo, as in measuring everything you ate and sticking to a deficit consistently? There is a difference between eating more as in volume of food and eating more as in caloric intake. Yes, with paleo, just like MOST minimally processed diets, you will feel fuller because you are eating mostly nutrient dense foods vs. calorie dense foods. Whole foods diets make overeating more of a challenge, therefore decreasing caloric intake.

I've meticulously counted calories for 3 years, actually.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Call it what you want but eliminating processed foods is the best thing you can do for yourself. Fresh fruits/veggies, lean protein, nuts is the healthy way to eat. I recently eliminated all manmade carbs and have busted my 6 month plateau. just remember if you can't hunt it, pick it, gather it you shouldn't eat it. It becomes second nature after awhile and you feel so much healthier. Good luck.
  • pattyproulx
    Options

I actually have counted calories diligently for Paleo vs the Eat Clean Diet, and I can confidently say that for me, I lose much more easily with Paleo, at the same calorie amount. My wife was the same - whether she was eating 1200 calories, 1400 calories, or 1800 calories on the eat-clean diet she could not get the weight to drop below 150 (this while doing Insanity) . She changed to Paleo and is now under 140 and still dropping - though still not as fast as she'd like.

This is what has worked for us. Not saying it's the same for everyone.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Call it what you want but eliminating processed foods is the best thing you can do for yourself. Fresh fruits/veggies, lean protein, nuts is the healthy way to eat. I recently eliminated all manmade carbs and have busted my 6 month plateau. just remember if you can't hunt it, pick it, gather it you shouldn't eat it. It becomes second nature after awhile and you feel so much healthier. Good luck.

I'd call it JERF...

...but you can still expect others to jump on this crazy "just eat real food" diet of yours and explain to you in glorious detail how it is such a horrible approach. (Perhaps if only you'd add more "heart healthy grains", they would approve.)

(But seriously, congrats on your progress.)

Edit: to fix a close parenthesis deficiency.
  • catholic_chick
    Options
    I would say if you truly want to know the answer to your question do the research. What you are getting here is opinions. They are great to read, but don't mean a hill of beans. Look at the science of both. I have read tons of research on the web and have purchased books on the topic of paleo/primal/whole 30 as well as Thrive (a book for vegans) - because all sides have valid points. I do what I feel is best for my body type - but if you don't do the research you won't be able to defend your position on why you are choosing to eat what you are eating. And I don't mean defend your position to your friends or the "nutritionists" on this site. I mean, you need to defend your position internally and accept what you are doing. You are talking about a life change, not just a diet if you truly want whatever you decide to do to make a difference.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

Modified Paleo
    fridge.jpg

Actual Paleo
    caveman.jpg
  • 1989Angela
    Options
    Wow, Cant a guy ask a question;-)

But seriously, I am not sure why this would be a controversial question, it seems pretty legit to me.

And let me point out a couple of things.

First, I obviously know that reducing calories is a huge part of losing weight but I am looking for more than just weight loss. I am looking for a way of eating that will help me lose, and maintain when I get to my goal, and also feel healty as well.

Secondly, I was looking for other ideas as well.

Thanks!
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I just can not understand why the same people immediately jump on to bash paleo/primal as soon as someone posts a question. And, it's always the same people.

Whatever.

If you want to learn more about paleo/primal, ask the people who are having success (or struggling) in the Paleo group.

For me, it's been great. I lost weight years ago on Atkins, and kept it off for a long time. My weight crept back on when I stopped paying attention to what I ate, and let my inner candy freak take charge. Oh, and having 2 kids wreaked havoc on my gut. My trainer recommended the zone diet to me (because he offers it to everyone), and I tried that for about 2 days until my head started to explode from counting "blocks". I had been vegetarian in the past and found that I was always hungry, and that made it hard to resist overloading on rice, bread, and pasta.

So then I researched Paleo/Primal, and I decided Primal Blueprint made a lot of sense to me. I'm at high risk for diabetes due to twice having gestational diabetes, siblings and parents with diabetes. I know that I am very carb-sensitive. When pregnant, I took my blood sugar readings before and after every meal, and got a very clear sense of exactly which foods caused a blood sugar spike and worse, which foods kept my sugar high for longer periods of times. A diet/lifestyle which keeps carbs in check seems to work best for me.

For me, Primal is lots of fresh veggies, berries, seafood, and meats. I'm eating healthier breakfasts at home instead of buying junk on my way to work, packing my lunch more (and saving money), and have introduced healthier veggie side dishes to my family. They call it the Primal Blueprint because the intent is NOT to try to eat exactly how paleolithic people ate, which of course is ridiculous, but to use their diet as a blueprint to help guide decisions in the modern world.

I'm lucky to live where eating organic and local is sort of a given... it's a town full of athletes and very health conscious so we have just about anything you could ever want in terms of organic, grass-fed, pastured, fair-trade, shade grown, blah blah blah.

Paleo/Primal also resonated for me because I really like meat, but hate supporting CAFOs. After reading books like Omnivore's Dilemma and The Botany of Desire (great read!) by Michael Pollan, and Animal, Mineral, Vegetable by Barbara Kingsolver, I was really motivated to eat organic, locally-produced and humanely raised food. Paleo/Primal is not only about calories and carbs, but about quality.

On my way home, if I want pastured eggs, there are several local farms or even just families with backyard coops and signs on their lawn selling eggs. I don't mind spending $5 for eggs when I know that $5 is staying within the community, not going to a CAFO, and those eggs will have bright delicious yolks and taste great. Same for pork and beef. In the fall I plan to support a local farm and buy 1/2 a cow and 1/2 a pig, have it butchered locally, and the meat will last a year. I buy fresh whole chickens from a local farm, and the taste and texture of a pastured chicken is amazing. I didn't think I would really taste the difference, but man... BIG difference.

The first week on Primal was hard, no lie. Your body has to adjust to having less easy sugars to burn. But 1 month into it, I've lost 8 lbs, 3% body fat, feel great, satiated, and like I've been eating more delicious foods than I did before. I used to crave something sweet after every lunch and dinner. Now my sweet tooth is pretty much gone, and fruits and berries, especially now in season, taste plenty sweet and delicious to me. For me, I feel like I'm eating healthier, eating way more veggies than I did before (the space on my plate that used to have the pasta/rice/beans/bread now has veggies), and eating good food. I know I would be losing faster if I could be as disciplined and excited about working out as I am about eating.

My sister is eating vegan, and gave me the whole China study spiel. I researched it. I also read the studies debunking it. I'd rather eat every delicious recipe at www.nomnompaleo.com (and from her amazing iPad app).

Final word... oogah moogah (caveman speak for "time for dinner"). Now where did I leave my club.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It's just the latest diet trend, after low-fat, low-carb, now it's "primal" or "paleo," follow "Grok". :laugh:

I don't know where you've been for the last 20 years but it's hardly "the latest trend". Paleo simply pulls together simple principles that have been known for decades... that "white" foods are hugely caloric, that too much sugar isn't good for you, that your body needs lean protein & good fats, that hydrogynated fats are crap etc. Exactly what of that comes as such a huge revelation??
    Legumes being poisonous would be a huge revelation. If it were true.

I don't know if they're poisonous or not...

...but I do know that the more I eat 'em...

...the more I toot.

That's because they contain saccheride compounds that are not digestible by humans. They also contain phytic acid which inhibits the aborbtion of minerals in the gut. This is the primary rational for eliminting them on a paleo diet. That and they are a food that was not available in the paleo era supposedly.

There are preparation tecniques that can minimize these effects. For example, soaking in water and slight solution of vinegar can leach out much of the phytates and help leach out some of the saccarides. Bottom line is occaisional intake is just fine
  • sherronh
    sherronh Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When ever i eat paleo for a week at a time I notice how much less bloated I am and How my stomach is WAY thinner. I also lose weight with it and have used it to rev up stalled weight loss.

Its not for everyone but personally I believe its better then a "everything in moderation diet" because of all the nutrients you receive.
    I dont understand how people can look down paleo because they decided to skip the bread and the junk food. SIGH