Is Paleo the Answer?

Options

Replies

• InfinitePoss
    InfinitePoss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wow, Cant a guy ask a question;-)

But seriously, I am not sure why this would be a controversial question, it seems pretty legit to me.

And let me point out a couple of things.

First, I obviously know that reducing calories is a huge part of losing weight but I am looking for more than just weight loss. I am looking for a way of eating that will help me lose, and maintain when I get to my goal, and also feel healty as well.

Secondly, I was looking for other ideas as well.

Thanks!
  • JackShow70
    Options
    I am new to paleo...3 weeks in. I am not a paleo nut and certainly do not think paleo is the only way to get fit. I can tell you it is working (fat loss, more energy, better sleep) for me, and it is really not difficult to stick with so far.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I think that whole point is to be healthy. Yes, people can lose weight eating the western diet, but it doesn't mean that they're healthy. I think that a traditional, whole foods diet is a better approach. I've done LC, paleo etc. and read all the info there is about it too. I've now introduced fermented foods into our diet to heal our guts.

I think we've lost the traditional way of preparing foods and this is a big issue (Have a google of Western A. Price Foundation).

I'm in for the "fermented foods"
  • InfinitePoss
    InfinitePoss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Also, what is "modified paleo"?
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I am thinking the same thing..
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Wow, Cant a guy ask a question;-)

But seriously, I am not sure why this would be a controversial question, it seems pretty legit to me.

And let me point out a couple of things.

First, I obviously know that reducing calories is a huge part of losing weight but I am looking for more than just weight loss. I am looking for a way of eating that will help me lose, and maintain when I get to my goal, and also feel healty as well.

Secondly, I was looking for other ideas as well.

Thanks!

And you can accomplish all of the above by eating mostly whole and nutrient dense foods, eating a reasonable number of calories and eating within a range of macronutrient totals that align with your body composition goals. You can do this with or without Paleo.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    High fat, LC is really filling and I feel better eating it. My problem when I first tried it was that I had an idea of portion size in my head and ate that whether I was that hungry or not. Now you replace carbs with fat and eat the same volume of food, calorie counts go through the roof and you gain weight. If you try it, and I do suggest it, just make sure you eat slowly. Start with a small amount and add more until you're full. You need to recalibrate your portion size. I am limiting to about 100 net carbs a day, and not avoiding, but not overdoing the fat. I eat as much protein and veggies as possible (at least at every meal). Last week, my first back on MFP, I lost 1lb which was double what I would expect from my calorie deficit.

Good luck!!!
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I think you will just have to try it and see. I know that for me, it takes away my crazy cravings and that is worth so much for me. I mean to walk by sugar and baked things and not have (or even want) to have it is truly a miracle. So try it and see if it helps.......if not move on. Good luck!
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The answer to Paleo is...

bush_doing_it_wrong_1.jpg
    doing-it-wrong.jpg
    doing_it_wrong.jpg

It's just the latest diet trend, after low-fat, low-carb, now it's "primal" or "paleo," follow "Grok". :laugh:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Works for me.

(And yes, I realize that there will be people eager to explain how it actually doesn't work for me or how it has no bearing whatsoever in how I feel or just general comments about how I'm a bad person for even considering the possibility that not eating grains/seeds/etc. and eating more fruits, veggies, and well-raised meat is a good idea.)

Will it work for you and others? Hard to say. Will you get a reasonable answer from the MFP forums? Yeah...right.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck on your journey.

ETA: And do I *know* that the paleo approach is the only/primary reason it works for me? Nope...I'll leave those kinds of conclusions to the "absolutely-positive-they-know-all-the-answers" crowd...of which there are already several here (and no doubt more on the way).
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Paleo is a broad category. Just try it and see if it works for you. I found that I didn't do well on it unless I included low-fat yogurt, beans, and the occasional whole-wheat low-calorie tortilla.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I am thinking the same thing..

Its a way to say you're paleo and then not follow it strictly.

Eat more whole foods, feel fuller, eat less cals, lose weight... you can even throw moving more into that plan. Paleo is not THE answer, it's not a miracle diet. Eating at a deficit is how you lose weight. If you don't have a gluten intolerance or dairy intolerance then you don't need to eliminate them.
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    No.

Edit: I have to do this, sorry. It's 42.

HAHAH Love it. I agree the answer is 42.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I am new to paleo...3 weeks in. I am not a paleo nut and certainly do not think paleo is the only way to get fit. I can tell you it is working (fat loss, more energy, better sleep) for me, and it is really not difficult to stick with so far.

Ditto. About 5 weeks in and it's great. I loosely follow Primal www.marksdailyapple.com rather than purest Paleo.

Over time I eliminated pasta & rice. Massively reduced bread & cereal. Don't add sugar to stuff. Stay clear from processed foods. Heaps of lean protein, lots of veg (except potatoes) and some fruit, and I can honestly say I never felt better.

On this forum you will always have two camps of eaters, those who think clean eating matters and those who think that as long as you stay under your calorie limit, any **** goes.

You make up your own mind.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I would concentrate on nutrient rich and satiating foods that allow you to more easily accomplish keeping your calorie deficit goals. So, if you allow an indulgence that would not be allowed on a Paleo diet or any other diet for that matter but stay within your goals- who cares?
  • EnuffaMyButt
    EnuffaMyButt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Do cats like to swim?

My neighbors cat does!
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    It's just the latest diet trend, after low-fat, low-carb, now it's "primal" or "paleo," follow "Grok". :laugh:

I don't know where you've been for the last 20 years but it's hardly "the latest trend". Paleo simply pulls together simple principles that have been known for decades... that "white" foods are hugely caloric, that too much sugar isn't good for you, that your body needs lean protein & good fats, that hydrogynated fats are crap etc. Exactly what of that comes as such a huge revelation??
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    On this forum you will always have two camps of eaters, those who think clean eating matters and those who think that as long as you stay under your calorie limit, any **** goes.

So you see, paleo is the one and only true answer, and anyone who disagrees eats "stars". (Or Shlt, depending on if you can read asterix.)
  • bluebug53
    bluebug53 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    no!!! read things like the Engine2 Diet, the China Study! Learn to eat Healthy from people that are experts in nutrition, not from the newest fad diet out there!
  • Eisskween
    Eisskween Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If the question is "What causes every thread to turn into a pissing match?" then yes, Paleo is the answer.

LMAO! ^^^^ And yep, what this gentleman said.