Is Paleo the Answer?

Options
Okay, I am not trying to cause controversy here but I am looking for some honest opinions and feeback.

Originally I was thinking about posting a question on reducing carbs and cutting refined sugar but when I really thought about it I concluded that all my weight loss challenges are related to the fact that I eact mostly processed food, even when I am supposedly "eating healthy".

Most of what I put in my mouth everyday has stuff in it that has not existed for most of our time on this planet as a species.

So my thought on this is that maybe Paleo is the answer even it it might be a bit challenging. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If the question is "What causes every thread to turn into a pissing match?" then yes, Paleo is the answer.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    No paelo isn't the answer to losing weight. You already know this since you must of seen many stories of people who have lost weight by eating normal western food.
  • doriyoung
    doriyoung Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If the question is "What causes every thread to turn into a pissing match?" then yes, Paleo is the answer.

That is funny,
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Additionally, your weight loss challenges are from overconsumption of calories. If processed foods are what's making it EASY for you to overconsume calories, then reducing your processed food intake and replacing it with nutrient dense and more satiating options would be a great start in creating an energy deficit. This can be accomplished with or without paleo.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

OMG! :laugh:
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Do cats like to swim?
  • ellie319
    ellie319 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i have numerous friends who do the Paleo and OMG they have some amazing results! I use some Paleo recipes and i find them to be quite fulfilling
  • Anon4678
    Anon4678 Posts: 37
    Options
    I think for some people it is. All I know is that, personally, I felt like absolute crap and lost no weight. I went back to eating a balanced diet (just less of it) and dropped 9 pounds. And I don't feel like death, as an added bonus.

Take that for what it's worth.

I think no matter what you do, you need to cut out processed foods. Eat more fruits and vegetables, less stuff that comes in packages.

Disclaimer: IANAN (I am not a nutritionist)
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    No.

Edit: I have to do this, sorry. It's 42.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    If you happen to have alleriges, acid reflux, acne, anemia, arthritis, asthma, depression, cholesterol issues, food addictions (you want me to give up pasta---HELL no!), diabetes, endometriosis, fibromyalgia, lyme disease, sleep apena, vitiligo or any other issues listed here: http://whole9life.com/2011/06/the-whole30-a-z-real-life-testimonials/

then paleo MAY be a solution for you!

Its a lifestyle thing, you have to commit to making a change but I can tell you from personal experience that I got off my acid reflux and depression meds with in two days of making the switch from a vegetarian diet to a paleo one. Literally, two days. I feel amazing and wll never go back.

its worth trying for 30 days...who knows, it could change your life! http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-whole30-program/ <--- this is how i transitioned to paleo...I eat some diary and beans normally but not during the initial 30 day starting stage :)
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what or how clean you eat. As long as you hit your target calorie and macro goals, you can even enjoy fast food and lose weight (you're cholesterol might go up though).

Protein powder is far from clean, and I love that ****
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If processed foods are your problem, why not limit processed foods? Do what works for you and is sustainable, no need to give it a name.
  • MonicaT1972
    Options
    My motto, find what works for you and stick with it!!! There really is no right or wrong system and what works for someone else may not work for you.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am not trying to cause controversy here but I am looking for some honest opinions and feeback.

Originally I was thinking about posting a question on reducing carbs and cutting refined sugar but when I really thought about it I concluded that all my weight loss challenges are related to the fact that I eact mostly processed food, even when I am supposedly "eating healthy".

Most of what I put in my mouth everyday has stuff in it that has not existed for most of our time on this planet as a species.

So my thought on this is that maybe Paleo is the answer even it it might be a bit challenging. Any thoughts?

I don't think one needs to go to one extreme or the other to have a positive experience with weight loss.

If eating processed foods is a problem for you, then start removing them. Doesn't have to be all at once, but if you regularly eat one thing, replace it with a natural food.

I think we all have to do what is best for us, there is no right or wrong answer to how to eat, except to have a calorie deficit.
  • efaitch
    efaitch Posts: 1
    Options
    I think that whole point is to be healthy. Yes, people can lose weight eating the western diet, but it doesn't mean that they're healthy. I think that a traditional, whole foods diet is a better approach. I've done LC, paleo etc. and read all the info there is about it too. I've now introduced fermented foods into our diet to heal our guts.

I think we've lost the traditional way of preparing foods and this is a big issue (Have a google of Western A. Price Foundation).
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Never been Paleo, but I will say if you are eating a lot of processed food and sugar this could be impeading your weight loss. Try eating more whole foods. I personally think grains are ok in moderation as long as you are eating them in the whole form, like whole grain bread, oats, popcorn made from whole kernals, etc. I don't think Paleo is for everyone.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think "modified" Paleo is ok.

http://www.health-bent.com
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

:laugh: it's funny 'cause it's true.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think cutting out as much processed food as possible is a great idea. But that doesn't require following the Paleo Diet.
  • marinweb
    marinweb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Additionally, your weight loss challenges are from overconsumption of calories. If processed foods are what's making it EASY for you to overconsume calories, then reducing your processed food intake and replacing it with nutrient dense and more satiating options would be a great start in creating an energy deficit. This can be accomplished with or without paleo.

+1

If you really wanted to go paleo you'd have to hunt pretty much every animal (including humans) to get your meat quota......