Running in the cold

Options
I was wondering how people manage running/moving when it is freezing out. I had started the c25k program, but the cold air stung when I inhaled. I don't want to take a huge break from the program so does anyone have any tips for the cold weather?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Bundle up and get use to it. Go get it woman!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    It's not so much my body being cold. It is more the cold air stings my lungs.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

How cold are you talking? My personal limit is about 15 degrees. Anything colder than that, and I'm on the treadmill.

I've read some recommendations that you should have a scarf/balaclava over your mouth for the first mile or so, until your lungs get warmed up. After that, you should be fine.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Yup. I know exactly what you mean. I use a balaclava when I bike in the cold. I'm not sure it's a matter of my lungs warming up, as the clava allowing space for the air to warm up before it enters my lungs.

Mine is a nice one by Outdoor Research, but you can get a sexy camouflage one from Wal-Mart's hunting section for like $5.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    LoraF83 wrote: »

How cold are you talking? My personal limit is about 15 degrees. Anything colder than that, and I'm on the treadmill.

I've read some recommendations that you should have a scarf/balaclava over your mouth for the first mile or so, until your lungs get warmed up. After that, you should be fine.

This week it as been upper teens or low 20s. Hmm I should try that.
    Yup. I know exactly what you mean. I use a balaclava when I bike in the cold. I'm not sure it's a matter of my lungs warming up, as the clava allowing space for the air to warm up before it enters my lungs.

Mine is a nice one by Outdoor Research, but you can get a sexy camouflage one from Wal-Mart's hunting section for like $5.

Sounds good to me! :)

Thank you!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

You get used to it, and it no longer bothers you.

You can try wearing a scarf or balaclava over your nose/mouth - that will allow the air to warm up slightly before it hits your lungs.

Every year, in late fall, when it starts to get cold, I experience about a week where the cold air is bothersome to breathe. But then I adapt, and I'm fine. I'll be running tomorrow morning in -20C (approx -4F), and breathing won't be an issue. But that's because I've been running all fall/winter. You gradually get used to it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest wearing something over your mouth. Unfortunately I have asthma and even that won't cut it in the winter for running, but it does help when I'm walking.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas so I don't have much experience with running in weather too cold. My best advice would be to make sure you've got some good gloves and take care not to over bundle.

What I really had to dread is running during the summer. :s
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Canadian here. My biggest worry is ice. I wear cleats for that. I have a balaclava, insulated tights and undershirt. Everything else is layers and cut the wind. I learned to run in the cold and I will keep running outdoors until it gets below 40c (40F). Running in the cold means less sweat.
  • airborne18th
    airborne18th Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    you burn more calories in the cold
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas now but I grew up in Minnesota. The scarf or ski mask over the mouth is right. Another idea might be a surgical mask but people will stare at you. I used sweat socks for mittens so that I could wash them each time.
  • zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Layers.

I wear a turtleneck, a long sleeved shirt over it, and a running jacket. Cold weather tights and then pants. I also wear gloves and a headband. This is a record year for cold, but with the right clothes the cold isn't so bad. Happy running!