Exercise Calories

Options
I always earn extra calories from exercise. I never use them but now I'm down to eating 1,200 calories and I'm tempted. So far I have lost 13 pounds in 56 days. I had to change my settings to 1,200 because I was stuck at 171 pounds for two weeks.
What are your thoughts

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you're going to have your calories set so very low I'd at least eat some of them back. That sounds miserable.
  • Lovemycorgis
    Lovemycorgis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you, maybe if I have something like fruit. Your are right 1200 calories sucks. I took the dogs for a 3 mile walk and it was only 10 degrees, the snow and ice was a workout and i did a lot of hills at 53 and a near miss with a heart a two weeks ago I'm taking this lose weight seriously
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed to eat back your exercise calories. Most eat have to accommodate miscalculations and overestimations.
    If you're stalled, make sure you are using a scale to weigh your food. Also, remember that TOM and ovulation also cause water retention, so this can be masking a loss.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    What is your goal weight? What do you have your weight loss goal for each week set at? You may have it set too aggressively and if you change it you may get additional calories to eat each day.
  • Lovemycorgis
    Options
    Not sure what TOM is but thinking period, I haven't had one of those in three years I'm 53 I'm going to whisper that just in case she shows up :D that would be a major drag
  • Lovemycorgis
    Options
    My weight goal is 155, you probably right I set it at 1.5 pounds I could go 1 pound.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    What are your net calorie numbers? You may be eating 1,200, but that doesn't mean that's what you're getting.
  • Lovemycorgis
    Options
    My Net Calories are really low when I was at 1400 I was always around 1000 now I'm even lower 800 to 700
  • clyn27
    clyn27 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    MFP is designed to eat back your exercise calories. Most eat have to accommodate miscalculations and overestimations.
    If you're stalled, make sure you are using a scale to weigh your food. Also, remember that TOM and ovulation also cause water retention, so this can be masking a loss.

I will second this ovulation thing. I was stuck for the last week going up and down the same 2 lbs no real loss. I track my cycle by temping so I know I ovulated yesterday and wouldn't you know I woke up 3 lbs less than the low end of that 2 lb up and down.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Part of being a healthy and fit individual is understanding how to properly fuel your activities, including exercise.

When you set you activity level in MFP you don't include exercise...so let's say you select "sedentary"...well, if you exercise are you still sedentary? Hint...no. You have to account for exercise.

Your MFP calorie goal is already a huge deficit from maintenance...if your logging is accurate and you're consistent you would lose weight just eating to that goal without any additional exercise whatsoever. When you exercise, you are doing more activity...thus your theoretical maintenance number will increase...thus you can eat more while accomplishing the same objectives. Bonus is that you can actually fuel you fitness...the more rigorous your fitness regimen is, the more important this is. A lot of "over-train" injuries aren't actually a result of over-training...they are a result of under-eating which impedes recovery and repair.