Do you still do crunches if....

Options
So I been debating with my wife and several other people. Now for the record? Do you or do you not do ab exercises if you still have belly fat? Does it make sense to do exercises if you still have a layer of fat around your mid section?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness and health. You do ab exercises to strengthen the abs. If you don't care to have stronger more conditioned abs, then there's no need to do them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    For me having a stronger core helps prevent back pain so I'm always trying to make mine stronger with a variety of ab and back exercises.

However, even if the goal is purely to look good, I'd want to condition those muscles in readiness for when they are revealed by my fat disappearing.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Exercise is for fitness and health. You do ab exercises to strengthen the abs. If you don't care to have stronger more conditioned abs, then there's no need to do them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Pretty much, yup. Fat or not has nothing to do with it.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    LOL, when I was younger so much younger than today, I looked in the mirror, and thought "I am already ugly, cannot do anything about that, but was way overweight, which I can do something abou". So, gave up the drink, which then meant I did not need to go to a snackbar every night when I rolled out of the pub. Also I started working out, including running to and fro the gym, but as part of the workout I did 15 - 30 minutes abs.
    - Today (even after 30 years) I am still doing minimum of 30 minutes of abdominal exercises per day. Not certain it works, but I would feel empty if I did not do them :)