What kind of egg is this?

Options
Ordering eggs is even more intimidating than ordering coffee and alcohol - all this jargon that means nothing to me. Like "wrecked" means break the yolks? Anyway, can someone tell me how this egg is likely cooked? I needs must try an egg that looks as delicious as this. Is this what a soft-boiled egg looks like? What do I hafta do to make this egg?

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/eggs-coffee-are-in-added-sugars-are-out/

Replies

• elleykat
    elleykat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    xtzcc6fzys87.jpg
    egg.jpg 105.2K
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Soft boiled - 3 minutes
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,922 Member
    Options
    Looks like 3 1/2 to me. lol
  • TishTash1616
    TishTash1616 Posts: 22 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This is a soft-boiled chicken egg.
    To make one, you can either cook in already boiled water for 3.5(for a medium egg)-4 minutes(for a large egg), or start with cold water and boil for 6-7 minutes. The egg should be covered by at least half an inch of water :)
  • glennat229
    glennat229 Posts: 15
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think it is medium boiled because soft usually still has some translucent slimy stuff. 4 min if the egg is completely submerged in water that is already boiling.
  • glennat229
    glennat229 Posts: 15
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Woops - I'm new, was trying to edit and added a comment instead. I guess you cannot delete a comment you made?
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    That is generally the way 'soft boiled' eggs are served but that one looks more like 'medium boiled'. I don't know how long you have to cook it to be like that but I actually like that level of done-ness on my eggs. Even when I make 'over easy' eggs at home I cook them a bit longer because I like the yolk to set a little like a gel instead of being so much like liquid.

• elleykat
    elleykat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    RosieWest8 wrote: »
    That is generally the way 'soft boiled' eggs are served but that one looks more like 'medium boiled'. I don't know how long you have to cook it to be like that but I actually like that level of done-ness on my eggs. Even when I make 'over easy' eggs at home I cook them a bit longer because I like the yolk to set a little like a gel instead of being so much like liquid.

I love when the yolk sets into that sort of gel. So much yum. That's how I prefer my "over easy" eggs as well, and someone once told me that's over-medium, but then I try to order over-medium sometimes and get this blank stare like "that's not a thing, you dummy." So now I'll say "over-easy, with the white set and the yolk just starting to set." Sometimes that works out for me, sometimes not, haha.

Thanks all. I'll have to give 4-minute eggs a try. :)
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Like "wrecked" means break the yolks

If you order scrambled eggs at a resturant, you would most likely hear the waitress holler. need 2 and wreck'em (meaning scramble the eggs)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I love soft boiled eggs. Man I need to buy some of those egg cups again.
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It seems like there are some egg cooking experts here. I LOVE whenever I can get the egg to be like a gel but a little more set than the egg in this picture. I order over-medium and no one's every given me a weird look but it's often too runny or hard. Would my ideal egg be a 5 minute egg, maybe? Egg experiment time.

P.S. I grew up calling over easy eggs (the runny kind you can dip in toast) "dippy eggs." So, when I moved to different places across the country I learned that almost no one else orders their eggs "dippy." What do you call them?
  • Ginaaa71
    Ginaaa71 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Over medium and if they give you blank stare, they haven't waited tables long.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    fevrale wrote: »
    It seems like there are some egg cooking experts here. I LOVE whenever I can get the egg to be like a gel but a little more set than the egg in this picture. I order over-medium and no one's every given me a weird look but it's often too runny or hard. Would my ideal egg be a 5 minute egg, maybe? Egg experiment time.

P.S. I grew up calling over easy eggs (the runny kind you can dip in toast) "dippy eggs." So, when I moved to different places across the country I learned that almost no one else orders their eggs "dippy." What do you call them?

My Grandma used to give me "dippy" eggs and soldiers!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    This thread forced me to have a poached egg for breakfast. I regret nothing.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I already had my eggs for breakfast but damn that looks good. I usually go over easy with veggies or hard boiled if I'm on the go, but I might need to reincorporate some soft boiled goodness into my life.