Paleo Diet

Options
All my coworkers at Abercrombie tried to do the Paleo diet and saw results , does anyone know how to do this right? I know it's a diet based on high protein, eating only meats nd veg bt does anyone have any tips???

Replies

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    That type of diet is only good if it's something you plan on always following. It's very restrictive
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,974 Member
    Options
    No two people will have the same answer. And just to mention the low carb aspect has been popularized because low carb is in fashion but the actual micronutrient breakdown of H-G'ers is as varied as the different latitudes suggest it might be. Basically paleo being a low carb diet is a popular trend not based on science.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I tried it for awhile, I will admit that I did feel better. Mainly you cut out everything processed which is probably why I felt better.

Although I only did 80/20 Paleo. Creamer in my coffee is just NOT getting cut out of my life. Plus the cutting out of "legumes". I had a hard time with that.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Every single person doing paleo is doing 'their own version of it' which is because it's nearly impossible to follow. It's a restrictive diet. You will eliminate grains, dairy, legumes (beans and some nuts), anything "processed"...

I went to a bbq last summer and met someone who was paleo. She ate a burger patty with lettuce and tomato on a plate and literally couldn't have anything else at the table (salads, mustard, ketchup, chips). Sounds like something that is super fun and sustainable... lol

People lose weight doing paleo because they create a deficit by not being able to eat certain things. Just create a deficit while eating the things you want to eat instead.
  • zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you are interested, the best source of informations is to read it starts with food, and Nom Nom Paleo - my favorite food blog on the web (I'm actually meeting Michelle Tam of Nom Nom Paleo today).
    - The important thing to remember is that it's not actually supposed to be low carb exclusively. You can eat low carb and higher fat and protein, but you can also have potatoes and other carb heavy vegetables to balance out the macros. The big thing is making sure to have good quality ingredients. Responsibly raised and slaughtered meat as well as good quality produce
    Also, with any eating plan, you have to tailor it to fit you. This works for me because I have a lot of trigger foods that contain wheat. I don't like to eat dairy, and beans and legumes make me feel kind of awful when I eat them. Some eat dairy and beans, but no wheat. I do have the occasional pizza and beer day (beer more regular than pizza) but it's easier to keep it moderate now.
    A lot of people will say that Paleo isn't necessary, and for many it isn't. But it works really well for me, and the community is fantastic and supportive. Make a decision by reading the material and seeing if it works for you. Happy hunting!
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    It's another fad diet based on false assumptions. If you restrict calories in and burn more then you loose weight. http://www.amazon.com/Diet-Cults-Surprising-Fallacy-Nutrition/dp/1605985600
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Let's just get this out of the way:
    • It's a badly named diet as it has nothing to do with how people in the paleolithic area ate.
    • It can be somewhat restrictive; some people are fine with the restrictions, others can't deal.
    • Some of the restrictions are based on some very strange science that isn't necessarily well supported. (And it often changes. White potatoes were bad, but now limited amounts of raw white potatoes - or a supplement of the starch from them - is recommended.)

That said, it's not a bad way to eat. It focuses on nutrient dense, whole foods which are often recommended for most diets. And many people follow the diet only 80% or 90% of the time, which actually makes their diet appear very similar to people who suggest moderation of all foods that fit into your macros. (The biggest argument seems to be "why bother giving your diet a name if you basically eat the same thing as me".)

I'd suggest trying it out and seeing if you enjoy it. If you struggle, then it will likely not be sustainable for you. There are tons of websites on what to eat, but as someone else pointed out, there are tons of variations of the diet, so just pick something you think will work for you and give it a try. The majors seem to be don't eat legumes (peanuts, beans, etc), processed food (good luck defining that), and dairy (unless you're following primal instead of paleo).

(As a side note, don't do what I did and throw away everything in your house that isn't paleo. I ended up not liking the diet because it was too restrictive, and I had to go rebuy a lot of condiments and sauces which was a little pricey.)
  • amandakopet14
    amandakopet14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would read some articles about it and then decide if it sounds like something that is doable for you. I tried paleo about 2 years ago, it was very restrictive (and I was worried about cholesterol intake with all the eggs and red meat) but it made me try cooking foods in new ways, and different recipes which I am very thankful for. I had never cooked with coconut milk before and now its one of my go to ingredients.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    • It's a badly named diet as it has nothing to do with how people in the paleolithic area ate.
    • It can be somewhat restrictive; some people are fine with the restrictions, others can't deal.
    • Some of the restrictions are based on some very strange science that isn't necessarily well supported. (And it often changes. White potatoes were bad, but now limited amounts of raw white potatoes - or a supplement of the starch from them - is recommended.)

That said, it's not a bad way to eat. It focuses on nutrient dense, whole foods which are often recommended for most diets. And many people follow the diet only 80% or 90% of the time, which actually makes their diet appear very similar to people who suggest moderation of all foods that fit into your macros. (The biggest argument seems to be "why bother giving your diet a name if you basically eat the same thing as me".)

I'd suggest trying it out and seeing if you enjoy it. If you struggle, then it will likely not be sustainable for you. There are tons of websites on what to eat, but as someone else pointed out, there are tons of variations of the diet, so just pick something you think will work for you and give it a try. The majors seem to be don't eat legumes (peanuts, beans, etc), processed food (good luck defining that), and dairy (unless you're following primal instead of paleo).

(As a side note, don't do what I did and throw away everything in your house that isn't paleo. I ended up not liking the diet because it was too restrictive, and I had to go rebuy a lot of condiments and sauces which was a little pricey.)

^All of this.

For as many people saying they do paleo, I don't think any two of them are doing it the same way.

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

*insert goofy applause gif I'm too lazy to go find here*

The science is shaky and some people treat it too much like a religion instead of guidelines for healthy eating, but Paleo is still destined to end better than the low fat processed foods craze. Well unless and until the federal gov cuts meat subsidies. In which case we'll all be following the revolution diet anyway. You can take American's freedoms, but you won't take our steaks!

Or unless you get bitten by a lone star tick and develop a meat allergy. In which case I guess you can eat paleo-sort-of-vegetarian. Those things are evil little bloodsuckers!
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    No two people will have the same answer. And just to mention the low carb aspect has been popularized because low carb is in fashion but the actual micronutrient breakdown of H-G'ers is as varied as the different latitudes suggest it might be. Basically paleo being a low carb diet is a popular trend not based on science.

What do you mean "not based on science" ? Science says Paleolithic man was extraordinarily healthy without grains.... When he wasn't starving, diseased, or dead by 36. You would also think a paleo style life should include working your hands raw for every morsel of food and dealing with broken bones by simply dying.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Drewlssix wrote: »

What do you mean "not based on science" ? Science says Paleolithic man was extraordinarily healthy without grains.... When he wasn't starving, diseased, or dead by 36. You would also think a paleo style life should include working your hands raw for every morsel of food and dealing with broken bones by simply dying.

You can get carbs from other sources than grains. Game animals are relatively lean and hard to catch. Even among modern H-G tribes the macros vary the Tukisenta's eating huge amounts of carbs, or the Kitavans (69% carb diet), or the Hadza (lots of honey, fruit, animal products) or the Kung San (moderate carbs with lots of nuts), or the Ewe Tribe (who eat a diet of basically NOTHING BUT insulin-spiking carbs ... literaly 98% of the diet).
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Paleolithic man ate grains. There's some science for you...
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I more or less follow it...and it's worked for me.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I did it for two years and dropped over 50 lbs in a hurry. I was THIN, but I felt good, slept well, and had a lot of my allergies clear up. Then I got divorced and decided that I didn't want to sustain that any more. I gained 30 lbs back, and my allergies returned. I tried it again recently, and had no results. Not a pound lost, nothing got better sleep or allergy wise. Not sure what was different this time, but I'm having more success with moderation and counting calories.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,974 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

You can get carbs from other sources than grains. Game animals are relatively lean and hard to catch. Even among modern H-G tribes the macros vary the Tukisenta's eating huge amounts of carbs, or the Kitavans (69% carb diet), or the Hadza (lots of honey, fruit, animal products) or the Kung San (moderate carbs with lots of nuts), or the Ewe Tribe (who eat a diet of basically NOTHING BUT insulin-spiking carbs ... literaly 98% of the diet).

Thank you, it saves me my Kitavan analogy. Not to mention just because something was eaten rarely or never doesn't automatically result in declining health when consumed.....critical thinking has gone critical.
  • dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Basically no grains and no dairy and no legumes.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    When he wasn't starving, diseased, or dead by 36.

Yeah...that's the part that always has me SMH. Let's all go back to those wonderful, nostalgic paleolithic days!

• dbkle
    dbkle Posts: 44
    Options
    I felt like crap when I did it, but then again, I work a job that is physically demanding. I just needed the carbs.
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My sister follows a "variation" of it but really all she's done is taken out dairy and most gluten. The dairy makes sense for her because she's very, very lactose intolerant and has always gotten sick trying to eat it...but I wouldn't say that means Paleo is a success for everyone so much as it forced her to stop eating things that make her feel like crap, haha. Supposedly the gluten free part makes her glowing and wonderful as well but I took a bit too much biochemistry and metabolic nutrition in undergrad to bother debating it...if it makes her feel good, great. So that's my advice to you. If you don't find it too restrictive and you LIKE it and can afford it (it's an expensive diet), I mean, go for it?

But I tolerate dairy and wheat just fine and they taste delicious so you can pry my ice cream and bread from my cold dead hands.