• levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »
    65-75 isn't old! Sheesh.

I'd rather die younger than end up in a home and/or with multiple health issues like so many elderly people I've met (stroke, cancer, dementia, Alzheimer...).

My mother is 66, looks about 50, goes on holiday four times a year, plays bowls every day, and is fitter and more active than people two thirds her age.

Only the young want to die young.

My mom is 52 and looks like she is in her early 40's because she watches her intake and keeps moving. People are always freaked out when they find out her daughter is over 30. "Babies having babies?" haha.

To stop derailing the thread on the "what age do you want to live to" debate:

I have been through periods of watching calories for a while and then stopping for a while for the past 12 years. Every single time I stop counting, I gain weight back. If I want to be successful in the long term, I need to count forever. Sticking with that is the challenge, but at least I know it.

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's good or bad, but it looks like I'm going to have to count forever. I don't seem to be able to figure it all out intuitively. And left to my own devices I will overeat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    65-75 isn't old! Sheesh.

I'd rather die younger than end up in a home and/or with multiple health issues like so many elderly people I've met (stroke, cancer, dementia, Alzheimer...).

My mother is 66, looks about 50, goes on holiday four times a year, plays bowls every day, and is fitter and more active than people two thirds her age.

66 isn't old. 80+ is old.

Also, my point is I'd rather die before I'm too old to actually want to die, if I'm lucky enough to even still be aware enough for it. I'd rather not be a burden for my kids... I've seen firsthand how horrible it is.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    We learn so much from this process it should be possible to stop tracking down the line. I already have done it for a couple of summers without too many problems. At least nothing a month of tracking in the autumn couldn't put right :=)
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    We learn so much from this process it should be possible to stop tracking down the line. I already have done it for a couple of summers without too many problems. At least nothing a month of tracking in the autumn couldn't put right :=)

Like I said, for me though, I don't see the point stopping. Because if I don't track with an app, my brain will have thoughts of intrusion anyway like (hey that egg is 70 calories!)

My mind wants to track it. So might as well. :smiley:
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I will probably count calories in some way for the rest of my life. Maybe not as meticulously, maybe I might be more prone to "eyeballing" based on the mad skilz I pick up along the way. I still have many pounds to go before my journey into maintenance.

I will however weigh myself weekly - maybe 2x a month - but most definitely will be weighing myself on a regular basis.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    65-75 isn't old! Sheesh.

66 isn't old. 80+ is old.

Also, my point is I'd rather die before I'm too old to actually want to die, if I'm lucky enough to even still be aware enough for it. I'd rather not be a burden for my kids... I've seen firsthand how horrible it is.

I'm soon to be 58. Had a stroke (not to mention 2 heart attacks, 1 major). The stroke was awful and I still have brain working problem (word spelling and using) but, technology has well done a great job with working on these "elderly" people and I'd still rather be old and alive.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    My plan is to try intuitive eating when I get to a comfortable weight, but I am assuming I'll be logging for the rest of my life. I'm okay with that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's a matter of "good" or "bad"...i would say logging for all of eternity is unrealistic for most....hopefully I have another 45 years or so in me....I highly doubt I will keep a food diary for the next 45 years.

I stopped counting when I went to maintenance and maintained for a little over 1.5 years. I still ate very healthfully and I still measured out and weighed most things, but I didn't keep a diary; despite what so many people seem to think, not logging doesn't mean not being mindful or maintaining healthful habits...I always think that's such a ludicrous notion...

I had no issues maintaining without logging. For me, logging was kind of like training wheels on a bike...it was a great learning experience, but nothing I intended to do forever.

I'm currently logging again because I went on an intentional bulk cycle from September through the New Year and now I need to cut. Logging is definitely beneficial to cutting and making sure I'm getting proper nutrition and enough calories to meet my training needs, but still cutting...but when I go back to maintenance I won't be logging anymore.
    Completely agree.

+1
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for 3 years. Under my goal weight by at least 3 to 5 pounds right now. Every now and then I'll log calories only for a week or so just to see where I'm at as far as my daily calorie intake. Usually I find out that that I'm not eatting enough and have to bump my calories up a bit.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Ideally you would eventually find a way of eating where you don't need to count. If you analyze all the data about your eating you've collected you'll see which days you had it dialed in. Eat and exercise like those days, don't count, you'll be fine.
  • nesian_twin
    Options
    If it works for you in the way of losing weight or staying healthy - I dont think its a bad thing no

Its when it becomes more important than everything else in one's life eg weight loss obsession can be similar to OCD and I'm sure I have it! lol now that I am sure IS bad