bipolar?

Options
jonbobfrog
jonbobfrog Posts: 294
Ok, so I'm bipolar. And right now I'm semi-manic about this whole weight loss thing, because I found MFP and I love logging everything and seeing how well I've been doing.

But what happens when I hit a downward slump? I always do . . . I'm more depressive than manic; I would've been diagnosed with dysthymic disorder had it not been for the 2 severe manic episodes I had.

Aaaaaaanyway . . . anybody else out there bipolar? How do you motivate yourself when you hit a depressive episode?

Replies

• believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    With proper medication and guidance (medical professional), you should be able to bypass any swings (in either direction!). Motivation has to come from within, and when you're in a true depressive state, there isn't really much you can do. Manage the disease first, and the rest will come with time. Stay strong! :flowerforyou:
  • tonicia
    tonicia Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think I may be, but haven't been diagnosed. What classifies you as bipolar exactly? How long do your depressive states usually last?
  • tonicia
    Options
    I think I may be, but haven't been diagnosed. What classifies you as bipolar exactly? How long do your depressive states usually last?
  • mamato3inca
    mamato3inca Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Are you on medication? If not, you need to start there. Once stable (it can take a while of trial and error with meds) the swings should be minor, if at all. My husband and son are bp, let me know if I can help.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I am also bipolar type II (the more depressive kind).
    I have found that when I am exercising regularly I have much fewer depressive incidents. And they are less severe. My big problem when I get really depressed is either I eat nothing at all, or eat a lot of garbage. And I don't feel like exercising.
    If you feel a downswing coming on, you can try to counteract it with exercise and better eating, but I know that doesn't always work. Are you still seeing a counselor? Talk to him/her about your concerns. And when you feel the downswing, try to get an extra appointment.
    I've been told that high intake of omega-3 oils can fight off depression (fish oil or flaxseed oil pills), but I've never seen any clinical evidence, just anecdotal.

Keep coming here for encouragement. It's good to start out, at least, a bit manic about tracking. Some of the meds we take can mess with the appetite centers in the brain, leading you to eat more (that's what generally causes the weight gain from the meds, according to my doc). And know that, even if you hit a slump and don't log on for two weeks, you can still come back and work at it again. You're just reprogramming yourself for a healthier lifestyle, not a lot different than a lot of the therapy you get in treatment for bipolar, just this time it's looking at body image and habits rather than thinking patters. :)
  • believetoachieve
    Options

You need to be diagnosed professionally and immediately. Psychiatric disorders often have similar symptoms, but are parts of very different complex diseases. It took my doctors 5-6 years to confirm my diagnosis and control my illness - so nothing you read on the internet or hear from others will give you a correct, accurate diagnosis, and it's almost insulting to think that mental illness is so simple. It's not, unfortunately.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Ok, for those espousing the use of drugs, please realize they don't work for everyone. Now I know there us a process to finding the right one/dosage, but for me that trial and error phase was the worst experience of my life. It messed up my sleep patterns, it messed up my sex drive, it messed up my metabolism. And it took years and years to recover.

I was totally out of control emotionally, in that I had no emotions at all. Now not saying that the highs and lows of BP aren't destructive in themselves, but at least for me they are natural. They are something that I know and something I have spent my life learning how to live with.

My suggestion? When you hit a low, male an appointment to go see your shrink. Move your body, push it and seek out those endorphins. Put even healthier, cleaner foods into your body. If you know you are not going to be able to make these choices on your own, find a trusted friend to help encourage, enforce them.
  • mamato3inca
    Options
    I'm sorry, but a TRUE bipolar needs medication. If you have a good Dr you will not feel "no emotions", and all these horrible side effects. Highs and lows are a normal part of life, but if you have bipolar disorder, riding them out is extremely dangerous and has a very, very high suicide rate. I have been through many Drs and many highs and lows with my husband and am thankful to have finally found an amazing Dr. We went through hell with side effects and rapid cycling, but there is hope if you are patient.

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do. It just scares me to hear anyone encouraging someone with bp to not seek help via meds. There are so many new, better meds available and no need to suffer. My son is only 7 and meds have given him his childhood...I'm not kidding.

Also, Omega 3's have been proven to be very helpful. Good luck.
  • corsayre8
    Options
    Don't think I ever encouraged anyone not to take meds. Think my first suggestion was to seek psychiatric help. Medication at that point is between the patient and doctor.

Personally my body doesn't handle pharmaceutical drugs of any type. Not hormones, not pain killers, not even otcs. But thank you so much for assuming you know better than me and my docs what is the right path for me. I'm not willing to give up years more of my life being patient and waiting to find the correct drugs, when I have had much more success with diet, exercise, counseling and cognitive exercises. But maybe I am simply not TRUELY bipolar. Something new to take up with my shrink, thanks!
  • believetoachieve
    Options
    Ok, for those espousing the use of drugs, please realize they don't work for everyone. Now I know there us a process to finding the right one/dosage, but for me that trial and error phase was the worst experience of my life. It messed up my sleep patterns, it messed up my sex drive, it messed up my metabolism. And it took years and years to recover.

My years of in-patient hospital therapy and severe drug therapy caused me physical and emotional damage. I have brain damage, liver damage, and there is no guarantee that I haven't sustained other organ damage in the process. But without the medication, I would have been dead years ago. I tried in fact, several times. Medication is the ONLY thing that kept me alive. If I can't sleep or have sex... so be it. I'd rather be alive. At least you're ABLE to recover from your ordeal - I'm not. But I'm not complaining. A bipolar patient (a truly diagnosed one), needs medication to survive.There really isn't two ways about this - there are journals upon studies upon cases proving this, time and time again. All the exercise, organic food and wishing won't change this fact!! (If only!).

I'm not saying medication is for everyone - but for a true bipolar patient to survive, yes, they are. Don't ever try to convince someone NOT to seek help from medication if their doctor recommends it. You could be killing them. A true bipolar patient has a chemical imbalance and neurological disfunction - health living certainly helps a ton, but it will never "cure" this. Even medication does not "cure" a patient - it simply manages it.
  • mamato3inca
    Options

My years of in-patient hospital therapy and severe drug therapy caused me physical and emotional damage. I have brain damage, liver damage, and there is no guarantee that I haven't sustained other organ damage in the process. But without the medication, I would have been dead years ago. I tried in fact, several times. Medication is the ONLY thing that kept me alive. If I can't sleep or have sex... so be it. I'd rather be alive. At least you're ABLE to recover from your ordeal - I'm not. But I'm not complaining. A bipolar patient (a truly diagnosed one), needs medication to survive.There really isn't two ways about this - there are journals upon studies upon cases proving this, time and time again. All the exercise, organic food and wishing won't change this fact!! (If only!).

I'm not saying medication is for everyone - but for a true bipolar patient to survive, yes, they are. Don't ever try to convince someone NOT to seek help from medication if their doctor recommends it. You could be killing them. A true bipolar patient has a chemical imbalance and neurological disfunction - health living certainly helps a ton, but it will never "cure" this. Even medication does not "cure" a patient - it simply manages it.

Exactly! Thank you.
  • mamato3inca
    Options
    @corsayre8, I wasn't speaking of your situation, I was referring to the original poster. If you are managing well without meds, that's great for you, but not the case for most with the disorder.
  • tonicia
    Options
    I wasn't trying to self diagnose..just curious what others experience. I don't think mental illness is simple at all....find it sort of funny that you were "insulted" by my asking, but ok.
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I am a TRUE bi polar. Though man, that sounds ****ing snooty as all hell. Anyways, it was passed on to me genetically through my mother who has bi polar and schizophrenia. I had numerous suicide attempts at a very young age. And eventually had my first severe breakdown at 16. By the time I was in my thirties I had one more complete breakdown followed by an almost fatal overdose on sleeping pills. At my worst I was cycling moods every few hours. This eventually led to severe insomnia and my need to 'sleep' forever. I had to step down from my job and take an emergency leave of absence. I was placed on disability from my shrink and placed on medications. I went through a year or so on different meds till they found something that worked for me. I also spent a year in therapy and intensive behavior modification. This included completely a daily mood chart for a year to find my triggers. I had to learn coping skills to safely feel emotions and not swing in and out on an hourly basis. After this intense year and a half I was able to go without medication and just use the behavior modification techniques to curb the emotional yo-yo. You can live a life free of meds for a good portion of time. But then may indeed have to go back on them to get your chemicals back in balance. Though I will never be free of bi polar (since it's a chemical misfire of the brain) I do have longer periods of symptom free time. I only now gett affected right before my period. The hormones set me off just a tad stronger then normal. You can be a true bi polar and not have to be on meds.
  • NickyJones
    NickyJones Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hello all :)

I'm so happy to see this topic, to see that there are others here who are doing their best against the odds. I was diagnosed bipolar at 14, was kicked out of school, sent to a special residential place for kids with emotional issues, etc. etc. What really helped me was finding the right mix of meds and a good role model to look up to and compare myself to.
    For the meds issue, it definitely depends on the person, which one work. One I went on in the beginning was pure hell for a few weeks until we finally switched up. Others can be funky. In college at age 21, I switched one of them because it was making my hair fall out (!). When I started the new one, I almost literally woke up one day and discovered boys. The previous med completely suppressed any interest in the opposite gender, quite a wake up call at 21 :P One of the other meds I am on immediately made me balloon out once I started taking it years ago, but otherwise works wonders.
    I figure a few extra pounds (that I CAN and WILL take off with hard work!) is a small price to pay for mental stability and happiness.
    That said, there are still plenty of times when I hit a slump, find myself turning to the booze, and start spiraling. What helps me during those times is 1. making sure there is NO alcohol in the house (because if there is, I WILL drink it). 2. it is so incredibly hard to do so sometimes, but get out of the house and take a walk. Get some sun. Mix up the ordinary routine. Explore someplace new (either on foot or by car). 3. get busy. I try to keep a schedule of being booked at least half the nights of the week (with sports leagues, etc), with the other half for needed downtime. Too much downtime though, and my mood goes down the toilet.
    People you interact with also make a difference. I work at jr high and elem. schools. After a few classes of elem. school I'm happy as a clam the rest of the day. Happiness really is contagious. :)
    I also heard that fish oil is good. If you can get it from eating fish too, all the better, get some healthy protein in there ;)
    Hope this helps, luck to you all!
  • corsayre8
    Options
    I'm sorry, but a TRUE bipolar needs medication. If you have a good Dr you will not feel "no emotions", and all these horrible side effects. Highs and lows are a normal part of life, but if you have bipolar disorder, riding them out is extremely dangerous and has a very, very high suicide rate. I have been through many Drs and many highs and lows with my husband and am thankful to have finally found an amazing Dr. We went through hell with side effects and rapid cycling, but there is hope if you are patient.

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do. It just scares me to hear anyone encouraging someone with bp to not seek help via meds. There are so many new, better meds available and no need to suffer. My son is only 7 and meds have given him his childhood...I'm not kidding.

Also, Omega 3's have been proven to be very helpful. Good luck.

Funny, a lot of that seemed to have been quoting my response. My bad for thinking it was directed at me, not the OP.
  • jonbobfrog
    jonbobfrog Posts: 294
    Options
    Wow . . . didn't know this topic would verge into so many differing viewpoints. Thanks to all of you for chiming in!

Let's see. I am on quite a myriad of drugs myself. As someone said (I'm sorry, I don't remember who), I believe that an absolute true bipolar (bipolar I, at least) needs medication. I was diagnosed late in life (22), but if I look back on my life and behavior I can see it and can't imagine how no one noticed! Anyway, it took a MAJOR manic episode and hospitalization in a psych ward for it to be officially diagnosed. Anyway, I have both a therapist and a psychiatrist and I can recognize when I'm going up or going down . . . but just because I recognize it doesn't mean I can stop it. That's my main issue.

For those of you who are probably bipolar II (hypo manic and hypo depressive episodes instead of full-blown ones) and can manage without meds, I applaud you! It CAN be done, it's just very very difficult. I sometimes consider taking myself off all my meds just to see what happens, but I know that I should only do so in the safety of a hospital, which I neither have the time or money for. So I continue taking my drug cocktail every night and not killing myself. Seems like a good trade-off to me.

For the person who thinks they are bipolar but aren't sure, go to wikipedia and search for "bipolar disorder." It's obviously not a replacement for a real doctor's diagnosis BUT if you read it and are pretty sure it sounds like you, that will give you a reason to seek professional help.

For those of you who have taken drugs and been physically "damaged" by them, you're right . . . not all meds work for all people. It took me 2 years and a weight gain of 100 pounds to find the right combination of drugs. I'm on here not looking to lose that weight because I finally feel stable enough to do so. I'm just always afraid of that downswing!

So hopefully we can do it together . . . feel free to friend me and/ or post when you're feeling like you're losing motivation. :o)
  • mamato3inca
    Options
    jonbobfrog,
    Have you talked to your Dr about this? Is there something he can give you as needed to help when you feel yourself going too far one way or the other? Is your mood stabilizer maybe not working as well as it could? It's awesome that you can actually see it happening...that can only help!

Hang in there!
  • eviegirl1
    eviegirl1 Posts: 11
    Options
    when I go low, well regrettably I sleep alot. I put myself back to bed after the kids go to school. I know its not helpful or healthy.

Sometimes its just that I have 2 great kids depending on me that I am able to muster the energy to do what I need to do.

I have read alot about bipolar. From this I finally worked out a few key elements to managing well with bipolar.

Stopping alcohol/substances - I have managed to stop drinking any alcohol - had none for just over 2 years now, and it has made a huge difference in how I manage my health. I am proud of this lifestyle change. Plus no extra calories from it! Substance never relevant in my life.

Exercise and healthy eating. This is one area I have yet to deal with as I would like. Sometimes it just seems too hard to deal with.

My weaknesses... cakes, chocolates, lollies, party food, nutrigrain ... basically the stuff that will add to my waistline. Comfort eater, but trying to control it. I put an exercise bike in my family room, so I can cylce while I watch TV. Yes I have used it several times.

I am inspired now that I found MFP. Its just what I like to keep track of how I'm going. But if it gets too much, or other stuff in my life takes over, I may drop it for a while. I think knowing it is a tool that is available to use when I am able to is a huge plus.

I have found managing my bipolar is really helped by knowing about the resources that are available to help me. Add MFP to resources, people.

Other factors for managing well with bipolar include taking your medications (if you are on them); having a support network; getting good sleep (very important); managing stress; practicing helpful thinking strategies (cognitive behaviour therapy).

:smile:

Sure I need to lose a little weight, but overall getting a healthy eating and exercise regime is an important part of me living better with my bipolar. :heart:
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    I haven't been diagnosed but I am pretty certain I am as well.
This discussion has been closed.