Ladies of MFP, what stupid, crazy or downright mean stuff have others said to you at the gym?

Options
envy09
envy09 Posts: 353 Member
Personally, I once had a man tell me that I shouldn't deadlift because it would "mess up my uterus" and make it harder for me to have children. Needless to say, I kept my headphones in from then on.

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I've gotten nothing but fist bumps and "where'd you learn to lift like that?" at the gym. No mean things here.
  • got2bfitmom
    got2bfitmom Posts: 164 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It wasn't said to me personally but a cousin of mine posted on facebook here is to hoping the gym isn't filled with people and their "new years resolutions"
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    tjdsmommy wrote: »
    It was said to me personally but a cousin of mine posted on facebook here is to hoping the gym isn't filled with people and their "new years resolutions"

complaining about resolutioners is a sign you have crossed over into the world of the fitness minded. It's also a sign you go to the gym regularly and notice the flux of people as the year moves on.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    envy09 wrote: »
    Personally, I once had a man tell me that I shouldn't deadlift because it would "mess up my uterus" and make it harder for me to have children. Needless to say, I kept my headphones in from then on.

If your uterus has served its purpose and you're done with it, is it OK to deadlift then? She said with fingers crossed and breath bated?

• elle_bear_11
    elle_bear_11 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym with my friend and this guy comws up to us and starts talking and finally hes tells my friwnd she looks great, i should probably loose some weight then i could be like her! I almost died!
  • PeterSedesse
    Options
    A few years ago I told a girl at the gym that she should spend less time color coordinating her squegie, socks and water bottle, and more time sweating. This was after she asked me a few times to show her how a machine worked, then proceeded to do one set of 5, without a pin in.
  • LiquidSparkle86
    LiquidSparkle86 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I was asked once if i was jennifer lawrence lol (yes because jennifer lawrence would be at some po-dunk gym working out in nebraska lol). I am consistantly approached at the gym and told i look like someone lol. Weird when you're all sweaty and not looking your beat. :0/ aaaand back to my run lol.
  • Azazel882
    Options
    This one bald dude said my hair looked Sun damaged...long story short, he doesn't go to that gym anymore.
  • LiquidSparkle86
    LiquidSparkle86 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym with my friend and this guy comws up to us and starts talking and finally hes tells my friwnd she looks great, i should probably loose some weight then i could be like her! I almost died!

And that guy will forever be alone...
  • got2bfitmom
    got2bfitmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    tjdsmommy wrote: »
    It was said to me personally but a cousin of mine posted on facebook here is to hoping the gym isn't filled with people and their "new years resolutions"

complaining about resolutioners is a sign you have crossed over into the world of the fitness minded. It's also a sign you go to the gym regularly and notice the flux of people as the year moves on.

I understand that but don't be mad because people are going to the gym and in quotation meaning they aren't going to stick with it.
  • Iscah13
    Iscah13 Posts: 1,954 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I go to a gym with all military guys who call me "mam". Even as the only female in there they are all polite and so hyper focused they don't care about what little I can lift. Guess I'm lucky
  • jamielynn47
    jamielynn47 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A lady at a fitness store told me that people of my size really shouldn't do long distance running/walking. Needless to say I'm signed up to do my 4th half marathon in less than a year lol.
  • janaboglione
    janaboglione Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A lady at a fitness store told me that people of my size really shouldn't do long distance running/walking. Needless to say I'm signed up to do my 4th half marathon in less than a year lol.

Good for you!!! People really shouldn't comment. I've never had anything rude said to me at the gym. I try to ignore people. I want to drop 20 or 30 lbs then hit up my friend to start lifting with her. I need to strengthen my back before I get on that crazy train. Lol
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    A man once told me not to run on the treadmill during the hours I was there that my breasts were a distraction. Needless to say I filed a complaint. Another man called me an effing c**t for getting upset that we was in the WOMANS bathroom. And then told me he takes sh*ts cuter then me. And a woman once told me to stop lifting because I am going to look like a dude.
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    envy09 wrote: »

Funniest thing I've heard in a long time
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    A man once told me not to run on the treadmill during the hours I was there that my breasts were a distraction. Needless to say I filed a complaint. Another man called me an effing c**t for getting upset that we was in the WOMANS bathroom. And then told me he takes sh*ts cuter then me. And a woman once told me to stop lifting because I am going to look like a dude.

I would definitely change gyms if you haven't already. This is horrible.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    wolfsbayne wrote: »

I would definitely change gyms if you haven't already. This is horrible.

Lo, yes I've since moved and started at a new gym. It's (so far) been a better experience.
  • Marieenya
    Marieenya Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I once got a kindly, whispered word from a gym attendant saying that the colour of my sweat was upsetting people - I had shocking pink hair and the dye was making my neck/forehead sweat look like blood >:)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I have never experienced anything but positive conversation at the gym I go to.
    What annoys me is when an old dude who is on the cardio machine next to me wants to strike up a conversation. Sorry, I am not here to make friends, converse, anything. I am on a mission. LOL. I wear earbuds most of the time to avoid that.

I know that sounds mean but I am not really a super social person with strangers or even people I sort of know. I have been known to avoid grocery store aisles if I see someone I know in the aisle. LOL. I just prefer to not chit chat when I'm "in the mode" to do something else.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    At the end of a yoga class - a woman who wanted my spot for the NEXT yoga class said - "move your "s*&t" I want that spot"