Fat or low fat?

Options
after being on weight watchers on and off for years I have recently been trying clean eating and paelo, my question is- both of these diets use lots more fat than I have been using in my diet and I'm still a little nervous about adding more fat. I'm wanting to loose about 3kg by eating healthier and gentle exercise and eating less carbs. I always used to choose products with low fat on them but now I'm finding some products taste so artificial now after clean eating. Thoughts please on coconut oil and more fats Tia

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Fats can be good, but they are calorie dense so you have to work that into your diet.
  • benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Your body needs healthy fats to function properly, and eating the right kinds in moderation can actually help you with weight loss. I like cooking with coconut oil over other oils, and I use avocado in a lot of my meals.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is a myth - http://evidencemag.com/clean-eating
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Can't really paleo without the fat, right? And fat is tasty, needed, and (personally) very satiating.

Try to up your fat little by littw: some olive oil here, butter there, sesame oil in stir fry...yum yum
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't count sugar, carbs, fat or anything else (other than calories). I try to just pay attention to the ingredients in my food.... i avoid artificial ingredients/sweeteners and it really does make a huge difference in how i feel.
  • Eatwell140
    Eatwell140 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been working with a nutritionist who works with fitness models and she recommends keeping fat at 20% or less, and to choose your fats wisely...ex. An egg yolk, avocado, olive oil...
  • johncartor
    Options
    Thanks my dear friends to share your tips. morning walk and cycling is good for fat lose and vegetable use for anytime eating
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eatwell140 wrote: »
    I have been working with a nutritionist who works with fitness models and she recommends keeping fat at 20% or less, and to choose your fats wisely...ex. An egg yolk, avocado, olive oil...

But that is not necessary. Did she explain why she recommends that?

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is delicous...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Low fat wouldn't work for me, so I say it's good to work on your fear of fat, if you've developed one. Just log, because full fat has lots more calories.

I mostly use low fat dairy, personally, because I think it tastes just as good, but would never use something barbaric like low fat cheese and prefer to use oils in cooking (or butter), etc. Also, whole eggs are great.

On the other hand, no need to replace a fear of fat with one of carbs. I find reducing carbs some an easy way to create a deficit, but they don't cause weight gain--it's just what causes you to be most fulfilled and happy with how you eat.
  • Greeneyedgrl_24
    Greeneyedgrl_24 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I believed the lie "fat makes you fat." Once I realized that I needed to worry more about my calorie intake than just fat, it clicked. I eat at least 50g of fat a day now without blinking an eye. As long as I'm still in a calorie deficit, it's all good :)
  • trifitkitty13
    Options
    Coconut oil is awesome!!!!! It's great! Welcome to the Paleo lifestyle! ;-) Eating clean is a wonderful investment in your health! Yes, there are more fats (and that's a good thing). Just be careful of the quality of fats. Fats are essentially the fastest was to transfer nutrients into your body. So when you use good quality (grassfed dairy, organic, gmo free) fats you are loading up on the nutrients your body needs. When you buy (and ingest) really low quality fats (like the cheap bacon, fatty meats that are conventionally raised) you end up transferring all those chemicals just as quickly. You won't need to eat as much when you are eating nutrient rich foods, so just watch the portion size :-)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    For satiety, I like the default that MFP gives me, but lots of people here like a slightly lower carb/higher protein ratio. Specifically 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fats).
  • SamTJones
    SamTJones Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    after being on weight watchers on and off for years I have recently been trying clean eating and paelo, my question is- both of these diets use lots more fat than I have been using in my diet and I'm still a little nervous about adding more fat. I'm wanting to loose about 3kg by eating healthier and gentle exercise and eating less carbs. I always used to choose products with low fat on them but now I'm finding some products taste so artificial now after clean eating. Thoughts please on coconut oil and more fats Tia

Hm. I remember hearing from television that things that are low fat actually have hidden sugars. Not sure if that's true or not.

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I'm at 40/30/30, but I don't sweat it a bit if I'm over on my fat macro. Fat is delicious, and your body needs it. Forget the low fat stuff and go full fat.

Rigger
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Fat is good. It helps your body absorb vitamins and minerals, AND it helps you poop! Don't be afraid of it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

the 80s are over...dietary fat doesn't make you fat. dietary fat is a very essential macro-nutrient...it is essential to balancing out your hormones, nervous system function, brain function, absorption of certain vitamins and minerals, and that's only to name a few.

Also note that a lot of low fat/no fat products simply dump in more sugar. With few exceptions if something is supposed to have fat, I have the full fat version. Also, look at things like avocados and nuts...these things are highly nutritious and packed with all kinds of goodness...and fat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer a diet that includes all macros (carb, fat, protein). They all play a part. But if you are going Paleo you must have fat to keep you in energy. Otherwise, you've cut two of your three macros and it will be nearly impossible to get the sustenance you need from food.

Fat is twice as dense as proteins and carbohydrate, so measure it carefully. I estimate a single portion to be about a tablespoon.
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is a medium chain saturated fatty acid. In a good oil, this will be in a triglyceride form which is better absorbed and utilized in the body. Small and medium chain saturated fatty acids readily cross the blood brain barrier and are extensively used as an energy source by the brain. Not only that they are used as a large cellular energy source throughout the body. Coconut oil also greatly increases HDL and will will help convert large particle HDL into small particle HDL, which is a desired trait. It is a great source of fat to add to any healthy diet.

That said, don't guzzle coconut oil by the liter. I throw a couple tablespoons down here and there. I also drink coconut milk, so there's that.

Fat is good for you, but the source does matter. You want sources that are in their triglyceride form. You want sources that are not heavily oxidized. This means vegetable and seed oils are out. Fruit oils that are extra virgin are generally in the triglyceride form and are not oxidized, but you have to check around with manufacturers.

Animal fat is good. You want fish, ruminant animal (grass fed only) and then things like chicken and pork. Animals that are fed outside of a CAFO model are generally higher in omega-3's, which will help balance out your omega-3 to omega-6 ratio. This will also help out your cardiovascular risk factors.

Avoiding carbohydrates that are easily digested and absorbed as glucose or similar congeners, will decrease or eliminate de novo lipogenesis. This in turn will decrease serum triglycerides and LDL. Specifically, this will greatly decrease small particle LDL, which is the biggie in regards to atherosclerosis.

Eat carbohydrate sources that are high in soluble fiber. This feeds your gut microbiome and they in turn produce short chain saturated fatty acids that will increase HDL, feed your brain and a quick energy source for your cells.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I love fats and use my real butter, avocado, coconut oil, blend oil, olive oil, sour cream, etc. I only use Reduced Milk because whole milk tastes like cream to me, so heavy. Fat Free Half and Half is also in my fridge because it cuts down calories but gives me the richest sauces and coffee.