any protein powder suggestions?

Options
Hi guys! I would like to add a pre\post workout protein shake to my diet but I just Dont know what is best. I'm trying to loss weight and then build muscle. I was told Isopure is a good one but would like to know what others are using. Any suggestions?

Replies

• CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Interested in this too. I've used a few types and am just not a big fan of the taste, but there's so many different brands and flavors when I look around online, I don't know where to start and don't want to waste too much money trying different ones to find a good one.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    They're not really necessary - can you not get enough protein in your diet to equal 0.8-1g protein per pound of LBM?

For instance 170g of 0% fat Greek Yogurt is around 18g protein for under 100 calories

I'm sure people can recommend brands though if that's the way you want to go
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition performance whey isolate. 30 grams of protein, 1 gram of fat, i gram of carbs. The chocolate tastes pretty good.
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you are just looking for PURE protein powders, skip my post. These are more combo drinks, I don't want to go off topic, but it's what I typically use pre/post workout for protein:

Core Power is a ready to drink (usually next to the Muscle Milk) found at CVS, Meijer, and some other grocery stores, or on Amazon (Amazon is usually pricey!). It's some kind of concentrated milk protein (whey casein). It has 26g of sugar (from cane/honey) but you might not mind that if using as a recovery drink. I like it because it tastes like chocolate milk/milk shake and it doesn't have fake sugar or a stevia (but I realize most people don't mind that stuff). 26g protein. There's a light version with Stevia and less sugar & calories (I'm not even gonna try it because I hate Stevia's taste) if you want something with less calories.

I also like Optimum Nutrition Oats & Whey. Also more carbs (mostly starch though) than I'd like for my macros, but it is another one that tastes good in either water or almond milk. I use it for breakfast when I don't have time to make "real" food or sometimes post workout. 24g protein. Has fiber too! It's a whey concentrate/isolate combo. As far as weight loss goes, this one works well as a breakfast choice because I feel full and tend to eat less throughout the day when I drink this in the morning (not sure why, it doesn't have THAT much fiber-but I'll roll with it).

There are higher quality isolates out there. However, these are the only two I have found so far that taste tolerable with out adding a lot of other stuff and don't make me bloated. So they are what I am using right now until I find something better. Core Power is legit yummy and at the grocery store, so if I had to go with one..

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What kind of workouts are you doing? If you aren't doing intense enough workouts (think like 800-1000+ calories burned) you will probably feel best eating FOOD with lots of protein in it. Otherwise you are wasting calories on something that only has one nutrient in it. Cheese, nuts, yogurt, chicken, fish, etc are great sources of protein. Most people can easily hit their protein needs if they would swap out some processed junk for better food.
  • ejuliano85
    ejuliano85 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I may not be an expert, but I try to eat a banana right before my workout in the morning, then my after I use the GNC Total Lean Lean Shake 25. The Rich Chocolate flavor is actually pretty good. I have also mixed it with their Mixed Berry. I don't use water, but Vanilla Almond milk (Walmart brand). Again, you may find something better or someone else may suggest a different option. This one works for me though.

I use this as my breakfast and then eat a snack (normally greek yogurt with berries) around 9 or 9:30, then lunch, another snack and dinner. Mornings that I don't work out (work out when I get home), I only do half the shake but still use it as my breakfast. I don't eat a lot of protein, so this shake helps me get there.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you not getting enough protein in your normal diet?
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    the only one i find palatable is body logix chocolate. 24g protein 122 cals
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I use Jarrow's plain unflavored whey protein. Added to my morning berries and oatmeal it tastes great to me....just adds some creaminess without competing with the berry taste. But I like things plain and not too sweet.
  • kelly29414
    kelly29414 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love BSN's SynthaSix Vanilla Ice Cream flavor. It blends really well (no chalky, powdery, gritty residue) and has a great flavor.