Ladies of MFP, what stupid, crazy or downright mean stuff have others said to you at the gym?

Replies

• kazaargrandcru
    kazaargrandcru Posts: 152 Member
    laurielima wrote: »
    At the end of a yoga class - a woman who wanted my spot for the NEXT yoga class said - "move your "s*&t" I want that spot"

Lol, how zen!
  • jrobinson1633
    jrobinson1633 Posts: 3 Member
    I have had a lot of comments about a tattoo on my shoulder- most of them positive. One older gentleman said that once I was "80 and droopy" that I would wish I would not have got the tattoo. *shrug* different strokes for different folks.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    If there's one thing I love about my gym, it's that no one ever takes their headphones out to talk unless they want to borrow a weight or work in with you. I've had some pretty embarrassing fails and not one of the super hardcore people there so much as batted an eye. I count myself very very lucky.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Wow...I love my gym and never had an issue. Yesterday I got asked if I compete.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    I recently had a very young guy ask me for help by saying he didn't have much experince with "chest work". This made his friend break out in stitches and he turned beet red. He was waiting to use the bench press machine I was using and I'm sure was no alterior motive but it obviously doesn't take much for a teenage boy to get embarassed.
  • Azazel882 wrote: »
    This one bald dude said my hair looked Sun damaged...long story short, he doesn't go to that gym anymore.

Did he meet with an untimely demise?? :worried:

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Guys don't say anything to me because I know how to lift and because they are intimidated by the weights I do! I'm not on the weight floor much anymore, too busy flipping tires and doing crazy stuff in our gym warehouse....but I'll catch slide glances here and there which I assume are for the "crazy girl who wears a weighted vest". I take crazy as a compliment ;)
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    the OP made me LOL. that would get a jaw drop and an "are you *kitten* me?" said to the idiot.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Only one time has someone said something to me... it was a group of guys that thanked me for my dancing on the treadmill in front of them. I was not flattered or amused, I was quite upset. I was trodding along at my then slow pace and trying not to die. That was the last time I used the treadmills in the joint area until this week. Five years ago...

I lift all the time now and keep getting bugged to start doing power lifting competitions. :D
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    I admit I was one of those people that hated when the gym flooded with "New Years Resolutioners", as we called them. Luckily, it always died down by the end of January.

Nobody ever said anything mean to me at a gym but they did take the weights off my rack between sets and that pissed me off a lot. Just because a particular weight isn't being used during the current set doesn't mean it isn't getting used!
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Shoot, just realized this thread was supposed to be for ladies only. FAIL.
  • And then told me he takes sh*ts cuter then me.

Honestly, what the heck is wrong with people? I get these kind of put downs once in a while from men I'd never even spit at, much less talk to. I truly think they're just hateful awful people.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    _John_ wrote: »
    tjdsmommy wrote: »
    It was said to me personally but a cousin of mine posted on facebook here is to hoping the gym isn't filled with people and their "new years resolutions"

complaining about resolutioners is a sign you have crossed over into the world of the fitness minded. It's also a sign you go to the gym regularly and notice the flux of people as the year moves on.

and to be completely off-topic, @_John_ 's profile pic: he LLAP'ed, but very sad. He had quit smoking 30 years prior, but it was still COPD that got him i guess. :cry:
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    laurielima wrote: »
    At the end of a yoga class - a woman who wanted my spot for the NEXT yoga class said - "move your "s*&t" I want that spot"

"Namaste, Beeyotch."

Wow.
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    envy09 wrote: »
    Personally, I once had a man tell me that I shouldn't deadlift because it would "mess up my uterus" and make it harder for me to have children. Needless to say, I kept my headphones in from then on.

That dude needs to be kicked sqaure in the jimmy. Women lifting is awesome and should be encouraged.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    I have had a lot of comments about a tattoo on my shoulder- most of them positive. One older gentleman said that once I was "80 and droopy" that I would wish I would not have got the tattoo. *shrug* different strokes for different folks.

I would have said "Well lucky for you, you probably won't be around to see it, right?"

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    This thread makes me love my gym. Other than battling over the one squat rack, everyone is very nice and respectful.

I did overhear a conversation a couple years ago where an older man was saying how women picking up too much heavy stuff could cause their uterus to fall out, but mostly I just laughed. That is some seriously old school thinking.
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    I've gotten "that's a shame; When you lose that fat, your tits wont be as nice"
    Well. Gooood morning to you too.
    I've also gotten the "can you not go on the treadmill, your jiggly bits are distracting"
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Not at the gym but...I have a postcard with Dana Linn Bailey's picture on it from a Flag Nor Fail order on my bulletin board at work. Someone from another department was in my office and noticed it. He's like "That's not you is it?" I laughed and mentioned that I would love to look like that, but it takes a lot more time than I'm able to dedicate. Naturally, he went off about how gross she looks and why would a woman ever want to look like that.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    No one has ever said anything negative towards me at the gym. :)