5K in two months... not exercising now... is this do-able?

Options
Back issues past 3 weeks (BAD MATTRESS and shoveling snow). Have only done a little daily walking in this amount of time. I have never really ran but thought I could handle a 5K on May 2nd. Can one go from 0 - 5K in 2 months without killing themself? Suggestions on approach please.

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    There's an app for that. It's called C25K.

Edited because ... that sounds a little too abrupt. There's literally hundreds of threads about Couch 2 5k, though. It's a fantastic program.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    ^ yes! C25K and I believe it is doable.
    Stef.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    A lot of people use that C25K program with great success. I only heard about it like a week or so before my 1st 5K. Personally. my friend started my on a 2/2 plan: run 2 mins/walk 2 mins for 20 mins. As you feel stronger, increase the run time while decrease the walk time.

If you need something a little more "structured", you could also use Hal Higdon programs. He has 2, 1 for walking, 1 for running. (I'm currently using his 10K plan) www.halhigdon.com, then 5K-Novice-Training-Program (link to walking in there).

Good luck to you!!!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Run, walk, run, walk, run, walk. The average healthy person can walk 3.1 miles if speed isn't an issue.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    yes
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    yes, worst case scenario is it will take you like 35 minutes to walk the distance. Lots of people sign up and do just that.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    It takes longer than 35 minutes to walk 3.1 miles lol. That is like 10 minute miles.

BUT, yes worst case scenario you can walk it. Every 5k I've ever done there were people walking it. Coming in last is better than quitting half way and is way better than not even starting!

Make sure your back issues are cleared up and start walking and doing some light jogging. There are tons of plans online you can follow.

Best of luck!
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    It is definitely doable! Just do other stuff in between runs to strengthen your upper and lower body muscles. Because believe or not, need a strong upper body as well.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Possibly do-able. You will be ready for a 5K by May but you may not run the entire distance. There's nothing wrong with walking part of the distance.
    C25K (timed version) will take you to being able to run for 30 minutes in 9 weeks of time. BUT, most people won't be able to run 5K in that 30 minutes in 9 weeks of time. That speed usually comes later.
    So, I suggest you try. Download the app, get some good shoes and start tonight. You'll be ready for the 5K, just aim to do your best and walk part of the distance. You'll do great.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    If you're ok walking part of it, it should be fine. 5k is 3.1 miles, so if you're reasonably healthy and aren't worried about time, you'll do fine. You could use it as a way to feel out how you do and get a handle on fitting running into your workouts, and then plan post-race how to run an entire one next time.
  • iankirsch
    iankirsch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Did couch to 5k.its 9 weeks long so close.does as it's titled
  • iankirsch
    iankirsch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    In Britain it's made by the NHS.so has to be correct.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Could be doable, but I do think dependent on the individual. Like others have recommended, C25k is a great way to work up to a 5k.