Olive oil

Options
olive oil is turning out to be my nemesis! What should I use instead?

Replies

• Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options

What are you using it for ?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Why? How much are you using?
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Most oils have similar calorie counts, to my knowledge. So, portion control.

But it's good fat so if it's the fat you're worried about, it's fine.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Some people use the sprays...I don't really know what they are. I only cook with .5 tablespoon so I never thought to try.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Use a Misto Sprayer with your own olive oil in it. It works really well.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I also normally limit myself to a half tablespoon when I cook with vegetable/olive oil, it's more than enough for my purposes, I rarely ever use more than that because of the high calories. I don't know of any oils/fats that don't have a high calorie count. You'd be surprised how little oil you can get away with when cooking, maybe simply try limiting the amount you use?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Why not just measure out how much you need/can fit into your plan?

As an alternative, you can use sprays like Pam.....but beware that the 5 calories listed is for a 1 second spray. If you are trigger happy, those calories can add up too.

Alternatively, I like to cook with butter quite a bit. But once again, measured out.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Even Weight Watchers advocates about a tablespoon of oil a day. It gives you long term energy even if it is expensive ( calorie wise). Just measure carefully.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Your bigger issue is likely the portions you are using.

cooking oils and whatnot all have a similar calorie count.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    If you live in the UK, frylight is pretty good. You could use it when you don't want to use a lot of calories on oil, and then use oil when you can afford the calories.
  • samistarz
    samistarz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hijack but are the calories in the olive oil actually consumed if using it for cooking as opposed to putting it on salad etc?
  • arditarose
    Options
    samistarz wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack but are the calories in the olive oil actually consumed if using it for cooking as opposed to putting it on salad etc?

Yes. They are consumed.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Yes and there is nothing wrong with that. Log it, make it fit.
  • samistarz
    samistarz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks both. But mega oops! I've probably been a bit liberal with the cooking oils without logging... Although still been steadily losing weight so it's not all bad! Thanks!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Some are. If there is oil left in the pan after cooking it can be tricky to know exactly how much is actually being consumed, but definitely some of it is.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Thanks both. But mega oops! I've probably been a bit liberal with the cooking oils without logging... Although still been steadily losing weight so it's not all bad! Thanks!!

Yeah, once you start eating less, you'll lose weight. As you get smaller and closer to goal that olive oil will make a difference. I only have a 250 calorie deficit a day...so a table spoon of olive oil (120) calories would take away half my deficit!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

You can cut the oil used in some dishes by adding liquid. Sauteeing, for example. Add a small amount of oil and just enough water or broth to evaporate during cooking.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Butter?
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Butter?

Butter has the same calories as olive oil, it's just solid oil.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,927 Member
    Options
    Butter?

Butter has the same calories as olive oil, it's just solid oil.
    Butter has fewer calories than olive oil because of the milk solids in butter, which generally make up about 16 to 18%.