OVER 40 - TOUGH WEEK - PLEASE HELP

Options
Please let me say that I am not usually a Debbie downer.

I understand that this weight loss thing is a life style change that takes time and I am not going to give up. BUT!!!!!! This week for some reason has just been so frustrating for me. I just finished my last week of the Medifast diet. $250.00 worth of terrible tasting food for the past 4 weeks and 11 lbs is all I have to show for it. I remember 2 years ago I would have lost at least 15 lbs with this type of calorie restriction without exercising. This past week I did 1 hour of cardio ( spin cycling) EVERY....SINGLE.... DAY ! I counted calories down to the last grape. I have the FitBit tracker connected to my account but I did not eat back exercise calories and the scale didn't budge!! Plus, I ordered a new heart rate monitor with the chest strap so I would be able to monitor my calories burned during exercise more accurately and my package got lost in the mail! Another $50.00 wasted!

I am just frustrated with myself for letting my weight creep back up to this point. I am so tired of thinking about what I can and cannot eat ALL OF THE TIME. It is consuming ME!!!! If there is anyone, male or female, professional or not that could give me some advice I would appreciate it! I have been a MFP member for a few years now and had managed to lose close to 30 lbs but as I have stated before I've gained it back and the same things I did 2 years ago are NOT working this time. I mean, I thought it was as simple as calories in v/s calories out. I know that I am missing something but I just cannot figure out what!

Age-42
Gender-female
Height-5'4"
Begining weight- 207
Current Weight-195.8

Body shape - pear (don't know if this has anything to do with anything but wanted to give as much detail as possible to anyone that may be able to help)

MFP- calories needed to maintain - 1,536
MFP-suggested calories for weight loss -1,200

Thank you to anyone that can help or anyone that is willing to say they can relate.

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    IT IS CONSUMING YOU.... and way too much,, you need to take a chill pill, back off for a bit and regroup,,,how bad do you want it??? you need to focus, eat well, sleep well and exercise... it will all come together for you.First, I suggest drinking a bottle of wine and unwinding............. kidding.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    My stats are similar to yours but I am OLDER (Yikes, how did that happen?). I know science and lots of people on these boards say calories in, calories out but when I am in a stall...I have to change up what I eat. I am doing 1200 calories a day, not eating back exercise calories at all and trying to get the majority of those calories from lean proteins, fruits and veggies. Trying to eat unprocessed foods mostly. That means for me, I eat a lot of chicken, celery, snap peas, apples, and whatever else fits into those parameters. It has been working for me this time around and I'm down 15 since restarting 1/4 (from 203-188). I almost forgot to mention...gallons of water! Don't forget that detail!

You are doing all of the right things, One of the things I've noticed about my lifelong thin friends is that they don't think about food. those of us who struggle with our weight have it on our minds constantly...what can we eat, what can't we eat. I'm always amazed when people tell me the "forgot to eat", that NEVER happens to me! :-)

It sounds like you are super frustrated, but you know that you are doing the right things. Take a chill break, whatever that is for you...a walk, some yoga, a glass of wine (if you have the calories for it) and know that it is a process that will take some time!
  • procyonlupus
    procyonlupus Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    First of all, breath, it's okay! We don't need all these fancy gadgets and such to lose weight, all we need is determination and a steady diet. Maybe see your doctor if you're not losing weight? Are you healthy, thyroid issues, etc etc? Relax, get back to the simple basics, track your food, and LET YOURSELF ENJOY YOUR MEALS. Like you said the food they sent you tasted TERRIBLE! Look online for some delicious healthy meals, things you enjoy making and eating! It doesn't seem so bad, and soon youll realize you dont have to give up the treats, just eat them in moderation.
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Some people find that more cardio doesn't equal more weight loss for them. Have you tried reducing the cardio to like 30 minutes and adding strength training. Even at home you can do a fairly challenging workout with your own body weight. I have been struggling with weight for a while and I will share what I have learned.
    1) Get more water. Real actual water not diet soda or other types of drinks as water is essential to almost all functions of the body.
    2) Get more sleep. Try for 8 hours a night if possible. Sleep is essential to allow the body to rebuild and makes you feel great.
    3) Try not to stress. Stress actually causes hormonal changes that make weight loss much more difficult.
    4) Try to think about food differently. See it as fuel for your body instead of just something that tastes good. I swear but keeping this mentality will help you to make better choices about foods.
    5) Get more fiber and more protein. Both will help you to fuller longer, which will help you to maintain your calorie goals.
    6) Try to be patient as hard as it might be. If you allow your body time it will adjust and you will lose weight.
    If you want any other help or suggestion just ask. Good luck!
    Renee
  • loriedillon515
    Options
    Hey and don't forget, you are on here for a reason. You are doing the right thing, so pat yourself on the back for that. I am 44 and totally can relate to the "what worked 2 years ago doesn't work now". I have been at a plateau for the last 2 months and have tried changing my exercise routines and my diet and still am stuck. But in the end I know I will not give up, no matter how frustrating that is. 11 pounds in 4 weeks is good and you should be happy with that. It is better to lose it slowly so it stays off. Isn't that what they always say? ;-) My suggestion to you would be change your exercise. Spin class is good but you are only working part of your body. You really want a cardio workout that evolves all the muscle groups, not just legs. Add weight training in there too as muscle burns fat. :-) Keep up your good work!!!!
  • spellly
    spellly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I always used say as soon as I hit 30s my metabolism hit the brakes. But now that im a few years into my 40s I think its in reverse. Each day is a challenge. Each emotional bump on the road makes me want to run for a big mac or an entire pizza! But then the next day comes and I realize that I am doing myself no favors by abusing my body with food. Take a deep breath. Allow yourself to be upset and sad and angry. But then pull yourself up by your bootstraps and start again. You can do it! Have faith in yourself. One day at a time - an old slogan but a good one.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the scales and work on your diet and exercise plan for you, for doing the right things for your body. Fat loss will come, but it won't come on your chosen schedule. Honestly, most of the frustration that I see around here comes with the observation that the scales aren't moving or are moving too slowly or are moving in the wrong direction.

I had to do that. I gave my scales away and am waiting for the day that my size 18 jeans won't stay up without a belt. Meanwhile, I'm learning how to eat appropriately rather than hurrying to the kitchen every time I'm bored or want to stuff uncomfortable feelings down with food. These are important things, and I don't need the scales to tell me whether or not I'm succeeding.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have similar stats but I am older. My weight loss rate is similar; it does not melt off. My calories per day are 1,650. When I started exercising my weight loss temporarily stalled but over time it has helped me be more stable.

I suggest you stay the course without spending money on expensive weight loss plans. Take the long view and I am sure your efforts will eventually show.
  • bring444
    bring444 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I went through a similar weight loss stall last year. I was counting calories and down to 1400 a day. I did at least one hour of cardio everyday, plus some strength training and rock climbing at the gym a few time a week.

I didn't lose a single pound! Something I discovered is that when I cut back on calories, my body freaks out and I start to retain as much fat as possible. I think that I also stop building muscle which is important for fat loss. So I've been doing a lot of research over the past year to figure out my folly and finally find a weight loss plan that works and is easy to maintain. It's been so much fun to research the female body, that I'm in the process of changing careers to become a personal trainer to help women understand their bodies better.

This is what I've discovered works best for me.
    First, cutting back on carbohydrates. Not to an extreme level, but definitely cutting out all refined sugars and grains. A friend of mine who is a nutritionist, convinced me to go paleo, and I feel amazing! You don't need to be that extreme, but I think eating a "lean and green" diet will help you feel great, and slim down. I eat a lot of green veggies (broccoli, brussels sprouts, leafy greens), meats (chicken, grass fed beef, salmon), eggs. When I feel like I need more carbs after working out, I go for fruits (berries, apples) or starchy veggies (sweet potatoes, squash, potatoes). If you eat grains, I would just choose whole grains and limit the amount you're eating, and fill up on veggies.

Second, high intensity interval strength training. I've come to believe that hours of cardio doesn't do hardly anything for fat loss, and if you want to lean down the best way to do it is with strength training, especially if it gets your heart rate up. I'd suggest either, doing sprint intervals (on a bike or the treadmill), and/or doing strength exercises with weights in intervals that gets your heart rate up. You really only need to do these high intensity workouts for 10 to 30 minutes at a time. Just as long as you put in your maximum effort.

I'm in the process of building a website and fitness program for women. Neither of them are finished yet but you can check out my videos to get ideas for the types of strength exercises you could do as part of a circuit. Here's the videos:
    http://trueformstrength.com/videos/

I have an 8 week training program for women developed that I plan to sell on the site, but if you're interested, perhaps you could test it out for me. Let me know if that is something you would be interested in.
  • karensuegill
    karensuegill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have been on my weight loss journey for a little over a year now. I am 58 and eat about1500 calories a day and try to exercise 5 days a week, usually 45-90minutes a day. Most days it's 45 minutes. I have lost almost 50 pounds. I have done it very slowly and I am using no program, just eating healthy and exercising regularly. I have lost and gained weight many many times and each time I have regained the weight plus a little more. What I have finally discovered is that you have to change your thinking about food and exercise before you can permanently change your body. Most weight loss programs will work for a while, but 95% of people who use a program gain all their weight back. I read a book called Never Say Diet by Chantel Hobbs. She teaches you how to change your brain and how to get off the weight loss weight gain merry go round. You need to find a healthy eating plan you can stick with for the rest of your life. You need to quit giving food all the power and take control over food. Quit stressing and relax. It should not be a race, but a journey.
    Stress can sabotage your weight loss efforts. Add weight training. When you have more muscle, you burn more calories. It sounds like you are not eating enough calories. You need to eat enough calories or else your metabolism will slow down and burn less. Also don't let the scale define your success. There are lots of other ways you can experience success such as smaller clothes sizes, having more energy, becoming stronger, etc. I've kept a journal of all my successes along the way. I go back and reread my journal to remind myself of how far I have come when I get discouraged or hit a plateau. I give myself a cheat meal once a week. I celebrate my successes by shopping for new clothes or new jewelry or taking a little trip. You have to reward yourself along the way for all your hard work. But you have to change from the inside out if you want it to be permanent. Best wishes on your journey. Relax and enjoy it. It shouldn't be a punishment. It should be one of the best things you've ever done for yourself!
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. everyone has given me sound advice. I'm goin to take it easy for a couple days and rethink my mind set. Thank you all so much!!
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Try intermittent fasting and/or 5:2 diet - see documentary:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lxyzc

Like you, I've had a gutsful of all the fad diets out there and I dont care what anyone says, IF is not fad diet, I plan it to be a lifestyle change and even my doctor recommends it! and as far as I am concerned, the qualified medical professional is the expert, nobody else. It is not starving, do I look anorexic to you? lol

You still get to enjoy the foods you want to eat (within reason, I still keep to my limit by tracking in here). It also helps you to lose those cravings and all of a sudden my urge to overeat has suddenly gone. I lost 2kg in the first week (I am new in here hence I have no stats showing yet).
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and lost 65 pounds last year. Working on getting 30 pounds off this year, the last phase of my weight loss. I stalled between Jan and Feb, losing and gaining the same 5 pounds. I decided to stop worrying about it till just before March and now I am totally back on track. I think I just succumbed to that cold winter drive to store fat. Now I'm geared up for the spring and ready to tackle more weight loss. I don't expect to lose a lot each week but I will focus on adding more kettlebell weight workouts to my cardio. Also I'm eating more vegetables, preferably raw, with hummus. I refuse to let age or whatever excuse keep me from my goal. If it happens this year, great! If it takes more time...ok. And moneywise, if I feel like splurging on wild blueberries or other healthy food, it's worth it. But I am too stubborn to pay $ to some company for their food or follow a certain diet.
    Good luck to you! It's all worth the effort.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Actually you are doing quite well. 11lbs in 4 weeks is over 2lbs a week. I would ditch the medifast rubbish and learn to cook nutritious meals for your family. Make an appointment to see a nutritionist. For example breakfast could be 1/2 cup steel cut oats with some fresh blueberries on top. Or 1 egg cooked in 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil with mushrooms and spinach.
  • gidget415
    Options
    You are doing great! I am just wrapping up the first two weeks of South Beach and I've been losing well, but not nearly as fast as I would in my 30s. I also seem to need a lower carb diet, cutting out refined sugars and things like bread and pasta. I will start to slowly add more carbs back in next week while keeping an eye on my MFP calorie goal, so it will be a hybrid program but it seems to work for me. :)

I think we need to remember that this is a process and those 11 pounds are gone. Deep breath, be happy about those 11 and now it's time to focus on the next 5 or 10. If you start to focus on the big numbers to goal, it gets overwhelming fast.

Do you do yoga? That and strength training seems to help me budge off a plateau. Be creative, but give it all time and congratulations on the loss!

• cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thank you