Is my diet and fitness routine good for losing weight?

Options
jenniator
jenniator Posts: 475 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on my health plan so I know if I'm on the right track or if I need improving. I'm 22 years old and I'm a 5'6 female. I weigh 200.1 lbs. My primary source of exercising use to be walking 5 days a week for 2 hours, but I recently joined a gym 4 days ago and I fell in love with the elliptical trainer. I plan to use the elliptical trainer 5 days a week and for a hour a day. It roughly burns about 450-500 calories for me and I get about 4.5 miles on it. Is one hour of cardio enough or should I work my way up to 2 hours? I also do a little (light) strength training with the machines at the gym for about 10-20 minutes 5 days a week which I hope will help tone me up a little. I know it's not a lot strength training, but I want to start small since I just started the elliptical this week and I am absolutely exhausted after a hour, but I figured it's good to do a little strength training since every bit helps. But I know nothing about strength training, so please tell me how much time per day I should strength train so I know what time I should work up too. I drink 8 cups of water a day and I eat about 1,400 to 1,600 calories per day. The last few days here has been my diet plan: Brinta (50 grams) (a whole-grain type of breakfast that looks like oatmeal (175 calories), a turkey sandwich on whole-grain bread after the gym (210 calories), another turkey sandwich a little later (210 calories), a big dinner (about 1000-1,100 calories) (Tonight was chicken in sauce with rice), and sometimes a snack between 50-300 calories. My snacks can range from fruits or occasionally junk food like chocolate or a few cookies. I'm not sure if it's bad to eat most of my calories at night, but it's what I prefer since it's when I'm the most hungriest and my family always prepares huge meals. Thank you for your advice and please tell me what I can improve on.

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Will you be logging your foods on MFP?
    You should eat back some exercise calories.
    Looks like you need more veggies in your diet. They're great for fiber and fill you up!
    Make sure you're getting an adequate amount of healthy fats and protein.
    It doesn't matter what time and how much you eat at a meal as long as you are in a deficit, you will lose!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Stay the course and congrats on the 43 pounds lost!! IMO any more than one hour on a elliptical is overkill. You are risking injury. Weigh loss is done in the kitchen and exercise is for health. However, exercise gives you extra calories for the day. Meal timing has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • nstock
    nstock Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I would suggest more strength training, or at least switch up your cardio too. People have different opinions on the elliptical, this is my own personal opinion... I think it's the least effective cardio work out. Think about it, could you run for one hour straight? Probably not. Try the stairmaster... that is a SUPER tough cardio work out. You'll probably start off for only 5 minutes, but you could work your way up. Congrats on the loss! Keep it up, you're obviously doing something right :) remember: it's 70% diet, 30% exercise. But, if you do want to tone, strength training is where it's at! good luck!! :)
  • jenniator
    Options
    Will you be logging your foods on MFP?
    You should eat back some exercise calories.
    Looks like you need more veggies in your diet. They're great for fiber and fill you up!
    Make sure you're getting an adequate amount of healthy fats and protein.
    It doesn't matter what time and how much you eat at a meal as long as you are in a deficit, you will lose!

Yes I will be logging on MFP. I haven't had time since I've been so busy, but I always write down everything I eat and check how many calories it is. I also weigh the amount of Brinta I have. I know I need more veggies and I usually have some with dinner. I'm glad meal timing doesn't matter since I've always ate most of my calories at night! :)
  • jenniator
    edited February 2015
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Stay the course and congrats on the 43 pounds lost!! IMO any more than one hour on a elliptical is overkill. You are risking injury. Weigh loss is done in the kitchen and exercise is for health. However, exercise gives you extra calories for the day. Meal timing has nothing to do with weight loss.

Thank you so much! I have been working extremely hard for almost a year. I actually am back 40.2 pounds since I gained a few pounds when I was on vacation in Thailand for a month. But that's alright since it's only once and I really enjoyed myself. I lost almost all the weight I gained and am almost back to where I left off, just 3 more pounds :D I originally started at 240.3 and now I'm 200.1. I'm glad a hour is good for the elliptical since I am really dead after 1 hour!
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I really don't think that you need an hour on the elliptical. You would probably gain more benefit if you broke your workout hour into - suggestion - 30 minutes of the elliptical, 20 minutes of weight lifting (alternating upper body, lower body, and core each day), and 10 minutes of stretching. Or alternate the elliptical one day with weight training the next day. With either, don't forget to stretch.
  • jenniator
    edited February 2015
    Options
    nstock wrote: »
    I would suggest more strength training, or at least switch up your cardio too. People have different opinions on the elliptical, this is my own personal opinion... I think it's the least effective cardio work out. Think about it, could you run for one hour straight? Probably not. Try the stairmaster... that is a SUPER tough cardio work out. You'll probably start off for only 5 minutes, but you could work your way up. Congrats on the loss! Keep it up, you're obviously doing something right :) remember: it's 70% diet, 30% exercise. But, if you do want to tone, strength training is where it's at! good luck!! :)

This is the 4th day I've used the elliptical Trainer, so it hasn't been that long. Is it really not a effective cardio? I've always heard it was one of the most effective types of cardio. That is a shame since it's my favorite machine and I really enjoy it. I have never really been a runner, so I don't care much for the treadmill. I've never cared much for the treadmill, stair climber, or rower. The stairmaster really is a super tough cardio! I can't even last 5 minutes ha ha. But after 1 hour on the elliptical, I am totally out of breath and exhausted. Thank you! I am really proud of my progress and have really enjoyed my time at the gym. I much rather do one hour of cardio in a nice cool environment rather than walk for 2 hours and still burn less calories! I know diet is so important, but I didn't realize it was 70%! I must be doing well since I am losing weight. I also like working out since it has so many benefits. The reason I want to tone up a bit is because I'm worried about loose skin and I've heard strength training helps with that. How many minutes would you recommend I strength train for?
  • jenniator
    Options
    I really don't think that you need an hour on the elliptical. You would probably gain more benefit if you broke your workout hour into - suggestion - 30 minutes of the elliptical, 20 minutes of weight lifting (alternating upper body, lower body, and core each day), and 10 minutes of stretching. Or alternate the elliptical one day with weight training the next day. With either, don't forget to stretch.

I like going a hour on the elliptical since then I burn about 450-500 calories which is nice since I like to eat a little more. I'm already at 10-20 minutes of weight lifting, so that is good. :) I'm thinking to aim for 30 minutes, but I'm not sure if I need longer since I never weight lifted before. I'm not sure if it's good, but when I strength train, I work out all of my muscles with different machines, not just a specific group.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Logging your food is critical to gauging calories in vs. calories out with exercise. I was able to hit my BMI a few years ago with heavy cardio 5-7 hrs. a week on a stationery bike combined with a core workout of between 150-300 reps. using various exercises. Lost 70 pounds in 10 months and hit my target weight of 218 pounds which I maintained for 3 years.
  • nstock
    nstock Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, you're moving, so that's good, but the machine does most of the work for you. If you do really enjoy it, and that is something you'll stick to, then do that. I would try mixing it up though. You can ben really low (almost like a squat), take your hands off and just focus on your legs, go as fast as you can for 1 minute then average pace for 30 seconds (keep repeating). Going at one steady pace isn't as effective as interval training. So definitely interval train on the elliptical if that's what you truly enjoy.

Learn to get comfortable lifting weights, that's how we get the toned bodies. No, you will not be bulky. Start with low weight, and work your way up to heavier weights, you don't want to hurt yourself! As for the minutes... I can't say exactly how long. From personal experience, I used to be a cardio QUEEN!!! and would only do about 30 minutes of strength training 3 times a week. Now, I am focused on strength training, with minimal cardio. It all depends on your personal goals! When I started lifting weights I went on bodybuilding.com and found so many great work out plans for all fitness levels! Don't let the "body building" turn you off, you won't look like Arnold! lol

Keep it up girl!!
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »
    I haven't had time since I've been so busy, but I always write down everything I eat and check how many calories it is.

It takes less time to log foods than it does to write them down. I usually spend less than 5 minutes a day, total, logging my food.

Congrats on your progress so far!!
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I work out 40 minutes when I go to the gym - 20 mins strength training and 20 mins cardio alternating machines so I'm not doing eliptical every day or bike every day, etc.
  • jenniator
    Options
    bigd66218 wrote: »
    Logging your food is critical to gauging calories in vs. calories out with exercise. I was able to hit my BMI a few years ago with heavy cardio 5-7 hrs. a week on a stationery bike combined with a core workout of between 150-300 reps. using various exercises. Lost 70 pounds in 10 months and hit my target weight of 218 pounds which I maintained for 3 years.

I know logging is critical and that's why I always keep track of my calories. Wow congratulations on losing 70 pounds and maintaining! That is amazing. I've lost 40 in 9 months which isn't really fast, but at least I'm doing my best and everyone loses at a different pace.
  • jenniator
    Options
    nstock wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, you're moving, so that's good, but the machine does most of the work for you. If you do really enjoy it, and that is something you'll stick to, then do that. I would try mixing it up though. You can ben really low (almost like a squat), take your hands off and just focus on your legs, go as fast as you can for 1 minute then average pace for 30 seconds (keep repeating). Going at one steady pace isn't as effective as interval training. So definitely interval train on the elliptical if that's what you truly enjoy.

Learn to get comfortable lifting weights, that's how we get the toned bodies. No, you will not be bulky. Start with low weight, and work your way up to heavier weights, you don't want to hurt yourself! As for the minutes... I can't say exactly how long. From personal experience, I used to be a cardio QUEEN!!! and would only do about 30 minutes of strength training 3 times a week. Now, I am focused on strength training, with minimal cardio. It all depends on your personal goals! When I started lifting weights I went on bodybuilding.com and found so many great work out plans for all fitness levels! Don't let the "body building" turn you off, you won't look like Arnold! lol

Keep it up girl!!

It is good I'm using a machine instead of only walking! I really do enjoy the Elliptical trainer which is good since it motivates me to use it 5 days a week. I've tried other machines, but I never liked them really, so I never stuck with them. But the Elliptical Machine feels different for me. It is sad it's lower cardio than the rest, but at least it's something I'm willing to stick too and it feels extremely difficult for me ha ha. I actually do a fat burning and aerobic work out on the elliptical, so it does have high intervals and keeps changing.

I have never lifted weight ever really to be honest. It is just something I started doing a little bit 4 days ago since I wanted to get a little toned. I am starting on small weights and I am already so sore from them ha ha. I never heard of bodybuiling.com, but I will check it out thank you! I am not worried at all about body building since I know I won't get buff or anything crazy like that ha ha.
  • jenniator
    Options
    It takes less time to log foods than it does to write them down. I usually spend less than 5 minutes a day, total, logging my food.

Congrats on your progress so far!![/quote]

I know it's fast to log foods, but I don't always have access to a computer. By the time I'm home, I forget or think what's the point of logging the food in MFP when I already have logged it on paper through out the day and know how many calories I've eaten.
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I think that whatever keeps you moving is what you should do. If you like the elliptical stick with it until you get bored. Or you could add other things to it and switch it up from time to time. One hour is a good amount of time. I once had a trainer who told me to lift three days per week, and on those days to reduce my elliptical time to 30 minutes and wait until after I had lifted weights. You'll find a wide range of opinions, but just keep moving, and pay attention to your results along the way and adjust as needed.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    You can use the elliptical, just throw in some sprints every few minutes...kick the intensity up and raise the resistance. In all honesty, 30 mins is plenty.
    Agree that you should definitely throw in some weight training.
    Eating is fine. Time of day is not a problem, I eat most of my calories after 6pm...that is when I am hungry and have always been a midnight snacker. So long as you meet your target, it is all good.
    Congrats and well done
  • jenniator
    Options
    WOT. Didn't read.

Just eat at a deficit. that's it, in a nutshell.

It's not just about losing weight for me, it's also about being healthier.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I would work smarter, not harder. Two hours of cardio every day is not necessary.

I lift 4-5 days a week and run 1-2 days a week. Nothing takes me more than an hour, unless it's a long run.