Staying committed

Options
Prettyinpink82
Prettyinpink82 Posts: 7 Member
edited February 2015 in Getting Started
Hi everyone. I am starting my weight loss journey and am having difficulty staying committed and breaking habits that i have had for years! Was wondering does anybody have any advice or ideas about how you were motivated to stay on this journey? Also tips and support are always welcome!!! Thanx in advance!

Replies

• Trayjay33
    Trayjay33 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi Prettyinpink82, it may be hard to hear but motivation has to first come from you. How badly do you want to lose the weight? No matter how much encouragement and support you get from others unless your ready it may not keep you going. Some things that helped me finally get off the cycle of starting & not finishing was being tired of failing, watching my health get worse with the extra weight, growing out of my clothes and having to wear bigger sizes, being tired and having less energy. To keep going I'm looking forward and not backwards. I don't want achy knees anymore, I don't want to whine over not finding a close parking space or having to eat out at fast food restaurants that are unhealthy. Due to my love of Carbohydrates I needed help by weight loss surgery but that has had its own struggles because it's not an easy fix. I actually had 2 surgeries and complications but this time I'm more successful because I'm not doing it for attention or due to low self esteem but for me. I log in to my fitness pal everyday, I try to get protein first and keep my meals low carb and low sugar. I limit fruits and starchy vegetables. I also talk to others I trust when I go through tough times because I have a history of being an emotional eater. I get about 8 glasses of water in and stay away from high calorie drinks. I am also a Christian so I have determined my focus is on God more and everything else will fall in to place of my new normal. I hope for the best for you. Friend me if you would like to. Take care, you can do anything you set your mind to.
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Someone on these forums recently wrote that motivation doesn't matter as much as commitment and habits. That struck a chord with me. Motivation will come and go (especially true for me), but I can at least stick to my commitment, and work on healthy habits too. Good luck in your journey.
  • k8325
    k8325 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Make yourself try a habit change for 3 weeks...and I would do one or two healthy habits at a time instead of changing everything all at once. If after 3 weeks it isn't working, try changing something else. For me, It was a commitment to walk on the treadmill for 30-45 minutes a day and to not eat fast food (with the exception of Subway). When I didn't feel motivated to go to the gym, I made my self at least put on my gym clothes, and if I didn't feel like going I didn't have to. And then once I was dressed I would say, just go to the gym and if you really don't want to do it you can go home. And then once I was at the gym, I would say, just do it for 10 minutes and if you really aren't feeling it...but I would end up walking the 30-45 minutes. As I got fitter, I got faster on the treadmill and eventually did a couch to 5k program. For eating habits, I started meal planning...that really helps with avoiding fast food because fast food is SO convenient. Packing wraps/sandwiches and snacks and keeping them with me helped avoid the fast food. You will be surprised at how just changing two things will naturally lead to a healthier lifestyle! By the end of my journey (I HAVE since gained but due to a medical condition and large life changes that lead me to forget my good habits) I had lost 70 lbs and actually enjoyed activities I used to dread!
    Keep in mind that weight loss involves a simple plan, but is NOT easy. Slow and steady wins the race, and even if you only lose 1 lb a week, by next year you will have lost 52 lbs and that is waaaaaay better than nothing.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat less and move more, you'll lose.
  • Prettyinpink82
    Options
    K8325! These are awesome tips and thanks for your advice! One day at a time! Im in it for the win! Lol! I will definitely keep you posted on my progress! Thanks again!
  • Prettyinpink82
    Options
    TrayJay33! That is what i love to hear! Honest opinions! It does start with me, every now and then i just need a push or something to remind me of how to stay on track! Not to get discouraged! I will do this! Thanks again everyone for your tips!
  • AmyH2323
    AmyH2323 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    One of the things that is really helping me this time is logging my food every day. It helps me stay on track. I track every thing I put in my mouth. I actually started my diet in November. When the new year rolled around my resolution was to drink more water and to keep track of every thing I eat. I set little goals for me to reach each month. I didn't put all this weight on over night so I know it will take time to get it off and keep it off. I also love reading others success stories on here. It helps me keep on going. My new goal for Monday is to start walking on my treadmill every day after work. Even if it is just a few minutes a day. I am going to get on and try and go farther every day. You can do this.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    BAM She Nailed it.
    k8325 wrote: »
    Make yourself try a habit change for 3 weeks...and I would do one or two healthy habits at a time instead of changing everything all at once.
    Keep in mind that weight loss involves a simple plan, but is NOT easy. Slow and steady wins the race, and even if you only lose 1 lb a week, by next year you will have lost 52 lbs and that is waaaaaay better than nothing.

Rather than re-posting my message from another MFP op go to this link and check the two posts I made on page 1. The links in the second post are probably the most important.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/31484407#Comment_31484407
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Well for me it took losing a loved one to Type 2 diabetes that finally got me motivated to do this seriously, that and the fact I am prediabetic and doctor has given me the warning that I will get Type 2 if I dont lose weight but please don't wait for something like this to motivate you!
  • rnjcb
    rnjcb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's been said somewhere before, but make small changes first. Let them stick, then move on to another change. Trying to overhaul your entire diet or add exercise when you haven't done anything physical in a long time usually leads to frustration.
    I speak from experience here.
    It will add up, and you will see changes. Best of all, those changes will stick much better.
    Best of luck!!