Freezing meals

Options
Lucy020679
Lucy020679 Posts: 42 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
because I'm an AWFUL cook a friends suggested I try Old El Paso One Pan Rice Meals. I've got it but it makes way to much just for me so I wondered once it is made is it ok to portion it off and freeze it?

Replies

• kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yes! I freeze pretty much leftover everything, since I live alone but like making big crock pot meals. I freeze everything in pre-portioned, microwave-safe containers so that it's easy to grab-and-go in the AM when I head out for work.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    @kyyleeeeee how do you keep it from getting freezer burn? my protions don't completely fill the containers and they get frost on them.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You can ziploc them.
  • Even the Ziploc freezer bags, don't stop frost. I wonder if I were to use a Ziploc container & then put it in a Ziploc freezer bag, if this would prevent it?
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    vacuum sealer!
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    amunet07 wrote: »
    @kyyleeeeee how do you keep it from getting freezer burn? my protions don't completely fill the containers and they get frost on them.

Try putting a layer of plastic wrap or aluminum foil directly on the food as a barrier to air. Also, be sure to use what you've frozen in a timely manner.

• shirayne wrote: »
    vacuum sealer!

I've looked into those but the quality of even the brand names of anything, isn't what it use to be anymore; therefore I don't know if I'd be able to trust it. Especially if I desire to store something long term.
  • megandhight
    megandhight Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Get smaller containers. Whenever there is space for air to get in you will get frost because its pulling the moisture out of your food and the moisture then freezes. I find smaller containers work best and plastic wrapping anything I can
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    janer4jc wrote: »

Try putting a layer of plastic wrap or aluminum foil directly on the food as a barrier to air. Also, be sure to use what you've frozen in a timely manner.

@amunet07 I do what @janer4jc said-- press plastic wrap across the top of the food before putting the lid on. And I try to eat everything within 2 weeks. This seems to avoid freezer burn. I also keep my freezer very empty (pretty much all I keep in it is an ice cube tray and some tupperwares, if I have frozen leftovers), which I've found reduces freezer burn but I don't know if there's ANY science to that lol.
  • megandhight
    megandhight Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    janer4jc wrote: »

@amunet07 I do what @janer4jc said-- press plastic wrap across the top of the food before putting the lid on. And I try to eat everything within 2 weeks. This seems to avoid freezer burn. I also keep my freezer very empty (pretty much all I keep in it is an ice cube tray and some tupperwares, if I have frozen leftovers), which I've found reduces freezer burn but I don't know if there's ANY science to that lol.

Actually there is. Lol. The fuller your freezer is the longer it takes for something to get frozen and the quicker it will get freezer burn. Leaving your freezer door open helps speed up freezer burn because the freezer temp skyrockets and stuff starts to defreeze and then refreeze.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You should wrap food properly or put them in closed containers. You will always know how old your Label foods. Smaller containers are the best for freezing meals.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Lucy020679 wrote: »
    because I'm an AWFUL cook a friends suggested I try Old El Paso One Pan Rice Meals. I've got it but it makes way to much just for me so I wondered once it is made is it ok to portion it off and freeze it?

I don't know about freezing anything with rice. Not potatoes either, and it has little to do with freezer burn. Whether or not you create an airtight seal, there is water in all our foods, and some freeze better than others when that water goes through a freeze-thaw cycle. Rice and potatoes become mealy-textured no matter what you do. Potatoes just fall apart after they're frozen and thawed.
  • dogsarebears
    dogsarebears Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this in the freezer, but short and medium grained rices tend to hold up in the fridge better than long grain rice....so maybe that applies to the freezer too? Has anyone tried this?