if you plateau do THIS

Options

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    The truth is that yes people can plateau. My sister has been working her butt off literally at boxing burning 500 calories per day and has been working on that last five pounds for 3 months. It's not always as simple as people make it out to be. Our bodies get used to our routines and try to stick at the same weight- we all are different too. What worked for one person doesn't mean it's going to work for everyone. Changing it up- eating a bit more for a short while and changing up your exercise is probably the best advice I have heard- and if this involves taking a break for a week or so then do it, but go back to your calorie deficit after a short time. I don't believe that starvation mode exists, and does upping your calories for the long term probably doesn't make sense, upping them for a week, changing your body's routine and increasing or just simply changing your exercise routine can all have positive effects on the dreaded plateau.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I took a break during the Christmas holiday and when I got back at it the beginning of January I lost some more weight. Losing weight is not just a physical thing, it's a mental thing, and, yes, sometimes we need a break. For some, losing weight is a real challenge. I worked my *kitten* off last year, literally. I desperately needed a break!

Now that I'm close to my goal, it's getting harder to lose. I keep going up and down with my weight, but I haven't had a significant breakthrough in weeks. I also get really frustrated when I see people on here say, "If you're eating at a deficit you'll lose. Period." Nope. Not true. At least, not for everyone. I constantly eat at a deficit, and the scale has not budged in about a month. And, yes, I work out. I used to have a Bodymedia armband so I know how many calories certain activities burn. Now that I don't have it, I estimate, and I always estimate on the low side for my calorie burn, just to be safe. And, yes, I measure. My measurements have not changed either. No, I don't weigh my food, but when it comes to portions, I sometimes log a greater amount, just so that I'm not logging too little.

I'm hoping it's just my winter fluff, and the last of my flab will go away when the weather warms up. *fingers crossed*

At any rate, you just have to learn to take any advice on given on here with a grain of salt. Weight loss is not a one size fits all type of deal. Our bodies are different and our lifestyles are different so what works for some might not work for others. Glad you found something that helped you. It helped me too, and it might help someone else out there struggling.

1) An armband doesn't guarantee the accuracy of calories you're burning at all.
    2) Estimating calorie burns isn't accurate at all either, even if you're being conservative because you don't have a baseline of what is actually accurate so your conservative estimate is still just a guess.
    3) Same as 2. You're estimating and there's a very high chance you're highly inaccurate. That's just what happens when you try to eyeball. Even leaving wiggle room can be inaccurate because you are still just guessing.

None of this is justification for saying a deficit doesn't work. If you aren't accurately logging, you can't really know if you're in a deficit. Advice given by people here is based off facts and experiences to help fellow posters.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    So people gave you good advice, but it wasn't what you wanted to hear. So then you did exactly what people told you to do in the first place, except in your mind, it was all your idea. Their advice worked, and now you're back, giving the exact same advice using different wording than the original advice.

Yay!
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Last time I hit a plateau, I quit MFP...Gained 20 pretty fast. Then went back on and lost that 20, plus 20 more...I don't believe MFP is keeping anyone from losing.
  • crystalstinson7
    crystalstinson7 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    FYI, I've lost over 50lbs with my inaccurate logging and taking a break, so does that not also qualify as experience? However, I wasn't giving advice, or seeking it, although sometimes people can't help themselves when it comes to adding their two cents. I was simply stating that I, too, had been in the OP's shoes, and that what she did also worked for me. If I want advice on how to lose weight, I'll start my own thread. But seeing as how I've had success on my own, I don't think I'll be asking for advice anytime soon. Also, asking for advice on here is often like asking to be slapped in the face. Not exactly a fun activity, in my opinion.

OP, I also meant to say congrats on the weight loss! :)
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    A plateau will end if you are eating at a deficit. The fact that you changed your exercises or changed your underwear has noting to do with it.
    Changing your exercises is entirely relevant. Someone who just started running is going to burn more calories than someone who has been doing it for a while.

The exercises that kept you at that deficit 3 months ago, might not get you there now because your body is more efficient and burning fewer calories. So try something new and see what happens.

ETA* OP, taking a break, ie burning no extra calories is obviously not the answer.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Congrats to OP for doing what worked for you! Doing the same thing and expecting different results is irrational - change is good.
  • hidee14
    hidee14 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thank you for mentioning this. I also have been stuck for the past few months, also have been told eating too few calories (1200-1300) - How is that possible, eat less & not lose? May have to try your suggestion, take a break for a month, then give it another go.
    BTW- what is afp :\

it doesn't have to be a month try a few days to a week, if that doesn't work then try a month. the idea is to get your body un accustom to eating within your calories. i meant mfp sorry :)
  • hidee14
    Options
    No going to maintenance for a few weeks or months is what you can do to break it is what I think they meant. Maybe? :)

i tried that at first and it still didn't work i had to completely stop, but everybody is different.
  • hidee14
    Options
    im not sure why you think its novel advice, i see the same advice posted for others all the time. theres lots of tricks and tips for overcoming plateaus, different bodies respond to different things. and oftentimes, our bodies just need a break and need to be in maintenance mode for awhile.

glad it worked for you though lol

I'm aware that other people do similar things i just wanted to post my advice, because when i asked for help i didn't get it. I just thought it would help.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about plateaus, but I take breaks on a very strict "whenever I feel like it, and every time I visit my parents" basis.

Some only a few days long, some a few months long. You're not going anywhere, mfp isn't going anywhere and my fat didn't go anywhere.

Still lost weight just fine. Maybe slower than I would have otherwise... such is life.

Sanity + Enjoyment >>>> Fitness
  • hidee14
    Options
    So let me get this right, if you plateau you should just quit?

I'll pass on that little pearl of wisdom.

not quit take a break for a while then come back. i ended u quitting because i got frustrated with no one helping me.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I know when I quit....I gain.
    No more breaks for this guy. I may take a weekend to recover, maybe heal up some sore muscles but never take a break from eating at maintenance of modest deficit when trying to lose.

Again...that is just me.
  • hidee14
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Oh I'm sure it would break my plateau alright, and my weight would move... just not in the right direction.

don't knock it till you try it ;)
  • hidee14
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    hidee14 wrote: »
    About 5 months ago i plateaued at 150lbs. i tried EVERYTHING and I have to say that mfp was no help, all people told me was that I wasn't eating enough and I got so discouraged that i just quit mfp all together for about 6 months. I recently started counting again and my weight has started dropping again. I believe it was a few things 1 my body needed a break 2 i needed to change my exercises. I'm so excited to lose my last 30 pounds yay :smiley: so the reason I'm posting this is just incase there is someone out there who has a similar situation and mpf isn't helping and just saying you're doing everything wrong, try this! :smile:

Just curious what happened to your weight during your 6 month hiatus, and did you change your eating/exercise habits? Did you gain weight during that time, and now you are seeing some of that increase start to come off, which is not the same as breaking a plateau.... I'm not trying to diminish it, just saying that you are likely seeing the same results as any new person who is just starting on the program because you likely had weight increase during your 6 month break that is now starting to come off.

I'm glad you are having success now OP, but "quitting the tool" isn't what helped you break your plateau.

my weight fluctuated about 3-5 pounds. the only thing that changed was I stopped exercising.
  • hidee14
    Options
    So people gave you good advice, but it wasn't what you wanted to hear. So then you did exactly what people told you to do in the first place, except in your mind, it was all your idea. Their advice worked, and now you're back, giving the exact same advice using different wording than the original advice.

Yay!

the point wasn't to raise my calories it was to stop worrying and just eat healthy things.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    The truth is that yes people can plateau. My sister has been working her butt off literally at boxing burning 500 calories per day and has been working on that last five pounds for 3 months. It's not always as simple as people make it out to be. Our bodies get used to our routines and try to stick at the same weight- we all are different too. What worked for one person doesn't mean it's going to work for everyone. Changing it up- eating a bit more for a short while and changing up your exercise is probably the best advice I have heard- and if this involves taking a break for a week or so then do it, but go back to your calorie deficit after a short time. I don't believe that starvation mode exists, and does upping your calories for the long term probably doesn't make sense, upping them for a week, changing your body's routine and increasing or just simply changing your exercise routine can all have positive effects on the dreaded plateau.

Of course people plateau,. In fact, I've been on an intentional plateau for about a year and some odd months. A plateau has nothing to do with needing to "change up" eating or exercise, it has to do with the miscalculation of calories in and/or out. As we get smaller we need less calories to function, and many people forget to recalculate calorie goals with each ten pounds lost.

Also, it's easy to underestimate calories in and/or overestimate calories expended, which can kill a deficit pretty easy.
  • auntyp147
    auntyp147 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »

I would not advise quitting at all! If you feel that you are in any sort of 'plateau', I would say re-evaluate your goals, calorie intake and exercise. And grab a measuring tape.

Track measurements and how your clothes fit. Take comparison photos. Eat at maintenance for a week and/or take a full rest week if you want to change things up, but don't quit! Your body is still making progress even if you don't see it on the scale each week, as long as you're staying active and eating well.

But if you quit, well...then you're not making progress at all, but likely backtracking.

This happened to me too and probably lots of other people out there. I don't worry too much about what's on the bathroom scale anymore - its just a number. I just want to maintain good eating habits and get fit, so keep track of that on MFP - its only an app after all.

No offence to the developers of MFP intended :smiley:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    A plateau will end if you are eating at a deficit. The fact that you changed your exercises or changed your underwear has noting to do with it.

But....clean underwear.
  • TOBEADIME
    TOBEADIME Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

But....clean underwear.

First this^^^^ hahahahahahaha, you are awesome. second, a break can be good, a day or even two, but back to the original post, 6 MONTHS???? And you are relying on MFP people to HELP you???? You are the only one that van hold yourself back. You Are in control of your body. You cant blame people on this site for your plateau. But Good on you for getting back on track and getting to where you want to be.