IIFYM - Cannot eat to TDEE

Options
KudraM
KudraM Posts: 73 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey all,

I am new to IIFYM and am trying to lose 25 lbs. Age 45, 5'8", 195, 31% fat. BMR is 1516 and TDEE is therefore 1820 at sedentary, 1971 at 1-3 x exercise and 2275 at 3-5 x exercise (which I do). 20% of TDEE is 1456/1971/2275 (seden, light, & moderate; respectively).

I cannot, for the life of me, eat more than about 1500 cals per day during the week. I can, however, easily go over one weekend day when we eat out. So I am eating less 5 days a week and over on weekends (at least one day). I do not know what to do. I am really frustrated. Oh, and I am not losing weight but am losing inches.

Workouts include about 3 days cardio and 3 days strength, with sometimes off day of yoga. I am about to just buy a vat of GNC whey powder to hit the protein numbers (macros currently 35/45/25...close enough for MFP). I am worried that not eating enough will cause me to not lose.

- Suggestions, please!

Replies

• tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I eat my TDEE calories for the week. I eat less five days a week, and enjoy my weekends.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods and fats and no, not eating enough doesn't cause people to stop losing weight. Maybe you have created a diet that is too restrictive and now wondering what you can eat.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    First of all, make sure that you are weighing everything and measuring as accurately as possible, because you may be eating more than you think.

Second, eat full-fat dairy, use nut butters, don't be afraid to use oil/butter in your cooking. You can eat that many calories without as much volume if you're eating more calorie dense foods.

Third, and I do not mean this in a snarky or mean way, but if you were overweight, then yes, you can definitely eat your calorie goals. You got overweight by eating more calories than you burned, meaning you ate over your TDEE. I don't understand this argument at all. If I had those extra calories I would be having an ice cream party, not complaining about it!

That being said, you will not stop losing weight if you eat less than your goals sometimes. Your body will not hold onto that fat - that is a myth.
  • KudraM
    edited February 2015
    Options
    "Third, and I do not mean this in a snarky or mean way, but if you were overweight, then yes, you can definitely eat your calorie goals. You got overweight by eating more calories than you burned, meaning you ate over your TDEE. I don't understand this argument at all. If I had those extra calories I would be having an ice cream party, not complaining about it!"

I became overweight by eating more fat and not exercising. Now that I am exercising, I am less hungry. It is not that the IIFYM is restricitve, its that I am not hungry. I am just trying to strategize for losing weight. So far I am doing what Tibby above is doing, but I am not losing lbs - only inches.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    KudraM wrote: »
    "Third, and I do not mean this in a snarky or mean way, but if you were overweight, then yes, you can definitely eat your calorie goals. You got overweight by eating more calories than you burned, meaning you ate over your TDEE. I don't understand this argument at all. If I had those extra calories I would be having an ice cream party, not complaining about it!"

I became overweight by eating more fat and not exercising. Now that I am exercising, I am less hungry. It is not that the IIFYM is restricitve, its that I am not hungry. I am just trying to strategize for losing weight. So far I am doing what Tibby above is doing, but I am not losing lbs - only inches.

Losing inches is progress. Weight loss isn't linear, and you will not consitently lose that "1 lb per week" like clockwork. Keep doing what you're doing, and make sure you are being accurate with all of your foods. Weigh/measure, as I mentioned above. The weight will come off, you just have to be patient. :flowerforyou:

Also, dietary fat does not make you gain weight. Eating more calories than you burn makes you gain weight. Adding more fat to your diet will not cause weight gain as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    It would help if you opened your diary so people could get an idea of what you are currently eating and then make more specific suggestions...

As Alyssa above suggested - eat full fat ingredients: oil, butter, milk, yogurt... Add avocado, nut butters, a couple of ounces of cheese, wine, ice cream...

I don't understand why it is easy to exceed your TDEE on weekends but nearly impossible for you to eat to it during the week? What are you eating on the weekends?

If this change in approach is very new as you said it was, it may just take time for your appetite to adjust, but if you are exercising more you need to fuel your body for those workouts and your body should be giving you those hunger clues, it may just take a day or so.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely, eating fat doesn't make you fat I'm happy when I go over mfp's fat and protein goals, but stay under my calories :+1:
  • KudraM
    Options
    Good points. I am just going to keep at it and listen to what my body says rather than force feed myself. I am new to this, so time is what I need I guess. Thanks everyone.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I became overweight by eating more fat and not exercising.

You became overweight because you consumed too many calories for your activity level and stats. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat and is a highly essential macro nutrient. 1 ounce of almonds has about 160 calories and is loaded with nutrients and is a good source of fat...avocados are the same. I also like roasting or sauteing my veggies in some good olive oil or avocado oil. There are plenty of highly nutritious foods that are also high in fat...eat them and hit your goals.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods can be your best friends when you're trying to up your calories. By preplanning and adding 100-200 calories to each meal (which should be fairly easy) you can boost your intake to get where you need to be.

This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just want to add that, in our case...

Losing inches = Losing fat

Don't be fooled by an inaccurate tool (the scale). You are eating at a deficit, you are exercising, so you are losing. It took about a month of bouncing between 1-2 lbs for my body to release the fluid it was using to repair and for the work to show up on a weigh-in. Those are the infamous "whooshes" we hear about on threads. I didn't lose 6 lbs of fat in a week. I lost them over several weeks, they were just "hidden" by fluid retention.

Also, you don't have to meet a daily goal. A weekly calorie goal will serve just as well. The important thing is to have an overall deficit and fuel your body for your activity.
  • amandastock
    amandastock Posts: 53 Member
    Options

You are also weight training and muscle weighs more than fat. If you are losing inches then your body is changing so wait until it stops changing to make mods. Perhaps at that point you'll have diff macros to hit.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    tibby531 wrote: »
    I eat my TDEE calories for the week. I eat less five days a week, and enjoy my weekends.

This.

It's the weeks total that counts.

Losing inches is good.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Nutbutters.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be bothered if I were losing inches and it just took longer to show up on the scale. It will, and anyway losing inches is great.

As for the main question, if it works for you, focus on your TDEE-X for the week, not each day. It's perfectly fine to eat less on some days and more on others if it all evens out. That's better than eating to your goal on some and over on others, and for some people it's easier to have some higher and some lower days. (I've been liking eating the same every day but also like to change things up, so I'm thinking of trying a higher and lower schedule again, as I used to do that and it worked fine.)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods can be your best friends when you're trying to up your calories. By preplanning and adding 100-200 calories to each meal (which should be fairly easy) you can boost your intake to get where you need to be.

This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses

+1
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    What matters is the weekly average. It's totally fine to eat less during the week and more on week ends.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

You are also weight training and muscle weighs more than fat. If you are losing inches then your body is changing so wait until it stops changing to make mods. Perhaps at that point you'll have diff macros to hit.

Uh no.