I miss feeling FULL

Options
So far I've been doing well but I really really miss the SUPER FULL feeling I had before changing my diet. It's been 7 weeks and my stomach capacity has shrunk but I miss the super satisfied "I can't fit another bite in" feeling. Any suggestions on low macros food that will give me that "stuffed" feeling I've been craving? Not everyday, of course, just want to occasionally feel that I'm beyond satisfied. These cravings come mostly at night.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    All I can think of is veges...but is it possibly to distract yourself/occupy your mind with other things?

Find a hobby that occupies your mind and hands this may help keep the craving at bay.
  • MaternalCopulator
    MaternalCopulator Posts: 125 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    vegetables.... I've been working on this for a while, as not eating a lot leads to a binge at times... eat for volume and you can eat more...

Another way to say it would be to eat less calorie dense foods... 400 calories of broccoli will certainly be a lot more food than 400 calories of poptarts (one package).

ETA: It's not just vegetables... but as you log your food, take note of things that have relatively low calories, and just pick those items more.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I do know what you mean. And while I could recommend veggies like spaghetti squash or drinking lots of water... I would also recommend that you try at the same time working past the feeling.

One of the things you need to think about is the long term. Maintenance. Ongoing life is going to call for listening to true hunger and satiety. Real satiety and true hunger signals don't revolve around that over stuffed feeling. So it really is best to learn to eat slowly, chew thoroughly, and take your time so that you come to learn what being full with less actually feels like. You'll be surprised.
  • GoalWeight165by2018
    Options
    Tofu Shirataki noodles. I think they are 15 calories a cup. At our grocery store, they are in the fruit and vegetable section, with the tofurkey and sprouts. They are noodles, but not bread noodles, mushroom noodles, and they are only 15 (ish?) calories for a cup. Use that, with some reduced calorie alfredo sauce, spinach, mushrooms and shrimp...it's AWESOME! HUGE volume for not alot of calories.
  • tnwlkr43
    tnwlkr43 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    According to your journal you eat the same thing every day for lunch and supper just about. If this is the case I suggest you trying adding a variety and try to do 1 protein 1 starch and 1 non starch. I usually have some type of meat, and several veggies.

Personally I dont want to feel stuffed because I was miserable when I felt that way...

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm very rarely 'full' anymore, even eating at maintenance. And that's with eating a lot of veggies (sometimes over a pound worth at one meal).
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat goes a long way for me to be full. At first, since I was so used to eating large quantities of food, I would put anything I cooked on a large pile of various leafy greens. Definitely upping my protein has made the biggest difference in keeping me full.

Last night my last food intake was 2 baked chicken thighs and I was very stuffed from them. It was what my calories allowed and it was almost too much to eat.

Are you eating enough overall?
  • nesian_twin
    Options
    My cravings come at night time as well, esp when I cant sleep, lack of sleep another known cause for weight gain. If I could have a good nights sleep every night, that's half of my problems gone already.

I think I know that full feeling you mean, it's like totally satisfied to the point where you can't eat anymore.

I eat till I feel 80% full cos I know if I go to 100% or even above that! as I used to, I will only gain weight and I wont lose. My want for weight loss, looking good (yep vanity) and better health is far above my want for that full feeling you described.

But here's a question - can you not save up your calories and have one great big cheat meal to have this full feeling at least once a week?
  • nesian_twin
    Options
    and here's another idea, homemade chicken veg herb soup, this recipe in particular which I might have before dinner as a sort of entree to help me feel full. For me it really is "magic" :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDymuFbGMeM
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    1 - Enjoying that stuffed feeling is what got you into the shape you are now
    You're learning to modify your behaviours, and that will have to include listening to your body to know when you're full. Eat more slowly, mindfully, enjoy your food (texture, flavor). Stop before you think you're full, wait 10 minutes (do something different), see if you really want to eat more.

2 - Get some variety in your food!! You seem to have the same thing for several meals, or for days on end. It's possible you're wanting to eat too much because you're bored.

3 - More protein, more vegetables. Protein helps with satiety (feeling unhungry), vegetables give you bulk & weight & fiber, which signal your stomach that you're full. I can make a _huge_ mess of veggie stirfry (we're talking starting with maybe 6 cups or more of veggies), add some chicken or tofu, and still have a meal that's 400 cal or less.

4 - Not so many calories spent on treats will give you more calories to spend on satisfying food. Keep treats as treats, not as everyday things.

5 - There are many days in your diary where you're below your goal of 1425 calories. In the last 2 weeks, 7 days have you dangerously low, below 1200 calories. If you're feeling hungry, eat them all.

At the same time, don't overeat. Ignore exercise calories. They're a bonus toward losing weight. (That's what my doctor & dietician told me.) It looks like you're only over on calories 3 days, and within 100 calories, so you're doing pretty well there.

2/27 1181
    2/26 1503
    2/25 1366
    2/24 753
    2/23 1506
    2/22 1456
    2/21 701
    2/20 1082
    2/19 1196
    2/18 1239
    2/17 1208
    2/16 1054
    2/15 1299
    2/14 906

51637601.png
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Lower calorie foods = the obvious answer, but I agree with one of the posters above who asked you to really work on getting past that need. I think that is one of the big differences between obese people and normal weight people. We should eat only until we are not hungry, not until we feel stuffed. I also harbor some fondness for the stuffed feeling - but it is not good. Even with low calorie food - it is stretching your stomach - possibly increasing reflux as the food gets pushed into the esophagus due to space issues and that can cause strictures. One of the reasons we get overweight - or even obese- is that we do not have the right cues to stop eating. For your sake, I think it is time to reevaluate what you are using food for. It really should be to fuel our bodies, not to fulfill our souls. If you really think about how you feel physically when you do that - it is no more comfortable than that mild hunger you feel with calorie restriction. So we must be assigning some nostalgic yearnings to that feeling that are misplaced.
    - Enjoy your food, and I hope you find something that works for you to accomplish your goals.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ok I should probably have read your diary before answering.

Seriously, you can't complain about not feeling full if you're eating less than 1000 calories some days. It's like complaining that you don't have money for lunch when you have $20 in your pocket. I don't get it.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    sorry if I did the same thing. You should not need to feel overstuffed - but I did not mean to encourage someone to be happy about the hunger feeling either.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    your body does not need the amount of food that you typically need to eat to get that "stuffed" feeling. learn to eat smaller portions of healthy meals, and you will find yourself feeling and eating better, and being satisfied with those portions.

and stop wasting calories on snacks like cheese puffs and other junk. they're essentially empty calories and will not fill you up at all.
  • nono706
    nono706 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I think I want something to put in my mouth, but I'm pretty sure I'm not really hungry, I have a cup of tea, a glass of water, and take my vitamins. When I feel like mindless eating, I eat sliced carrots or celery sticks. Sitting in front of the TV used to really trigger my desire to eat, so I either get up and do high knees for a few minutes, or I file my nails and give myself a manicure.

Once a week I like to save up my calories and eat something I really enjoy as a treat. Last week my husband and I had three slices of pizza and a beer each.

It's true that you need to move beyond that feeling of wanting to be very very full. But baby steps in the right direction will still get you there.

• KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    When I want that 'full' feeling I make curried vegetables, stirfry, or soup. Check out Red Lentil Sniffle Soup (google). I add an extra 4c of water to the recipe. I really like it, and it's not super high on calories, and it really fills me up.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    How many meals are you eating a day? On one of my yoyo diets I ate 6 small meals a day and never felt close to full. Each meal kept me wanting more and I couldn't stop thinking about food. I couldn't keep up with it. I now eat 3 meals and do feel full although usually not stuffed.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    lauraldrum wrote: »
    So far I've been doing well but I really really miss the SUPER FULL feeling I had before changing my diet. It's been 7 weeks and my stomach capacity has shrunk but I miss the super satisfied "I can't fit another bite in" feeling. Any suggestions on low macros food that will give me that "stuffed" feeling I've been craving? Not everyday, of course, just want to occasionally feel that I'm beyond satisfied. These cravings come mostly at night.

I'd say: work to rid yourself of that desire.

or eat a lot of soup.

Also, what are "low macro foods"?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Skip breakfast and use those calories for extra dinner. Lol