Time to suck it up, buttercup

Options
Well, what can I say. I'm 33 and used to run 5k's and now the only running I do is to Starbucks everyday. That has changed...

It's been a week since I decided to get my butt in gear and say goodbye to the old and hello to the new. My first weigh in was 169 on the 2nd. In six months my fiance and I will be getting married on board the Carnival Conquest and set sail with 85 of our friends and family to journey to the Caribbean for 7 days. I want to rock the dress and the boat, and not feel like I need to hide under the unbrella the whole time. This past Saturday I found my perfect dress... and against the advice of everyone there including my mom, soon to be mother and sister in law, and weding consultant I bought and fully paid for a dress that by all means was a little snug. Why- for inspiration. I knew that if I had gone up a size then that's giving me legroom for added weight. I don't need any legroom...

So, here I am. I found MFP after finding the ap for my Droid. Immediately began using it and now I'm hooked. Just like my C25K ap, I needed something that would hold me accountable. And given the ease of use... it was a perfect solution whether I log in online or on the Droid.

So, here goes... starting weight is 169 (I just can't bear to say 170 and since the scale didn't click that last digit....) with a goal of 130 by November. I am 5'1 and based on my doctors advice and recommedation, I feel its a reasonable time frame to loose the weight, with an average of 1 to 2 pounds per week. My plan is to take is slow and steady and focus on the short term rather the long term.

All in all, from what I see on the forums there's alot of women out there just like me. We aren't looking for a super model body, just toning in the areas that need it to show off our curves. We know we need to get in shape, but between a full time job, raising kids and taking care of the house.... sometimes we let our health fall to the wayside. Then we look in the mirror and realize it's time to suck it up buttercup and get our arses in gear.

Looking forward to the future..... focusing on the present!

Marissa

Replies

• Rebjones612
    Rebjones612 Posts: 408
    Options
    Sounds like you got it all together.
    Congrats on your upcoming wedding~! ;)
    I am sure you will look awesome in your dress.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • MomofTeens
    MomofTeens Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You have already achieved the hardest part.....finding the determination and will to do it! You can do this! Just remember that the first few weeks are the hardest and after that it will become a healthy new habit. Just find time to log in to MFP everyday!
  • Traciebee68
    Options
    Great post - totally hear what you're saying. Been married 9 years, we used to hike and run races all the time, now its TV and take out. Time to say goodbye to the couch and hello to salads and running shoes. Good luck on your goal and congratulations on your upcoming marriage! This seems like a great site and a big help in achieving our goals!

-Tracie
  • mussmom
    mussmom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I love your post! I too recently found mfp. I have lost a total of 13 pound since I started my "life change", three since joining mfp. I love how it holds you accountable to those calories. I didn't log on last night because I totally blew it with dinner-just crappy food-and I woke up in the middle of the night and was actually kinda happy I felt a little icky. I told myself that that was a good thing to feel that way-a good reminder to eat well. Good luck-and am proud of you for buying the snug dress! I think as runners we need a goal in sight. You will do this and look great at your wedding!
  • Dancinblind
    Dancinblind Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate the kind and encouraging words. Honestly, the hardest part has been driving past Starbucks every morning since the 1st instead of driving through it. When I got online and tallied up my favorite drink at a whopping 415 calories, and the quilty fact that I indulge in one sometimes two a day... I knew I would do myself a huge favor by passing them up. Not only to my waistline but to my bank account. I was never really a calorie counter before but having done it today for the first time and seeing my target caloric intake made me really open my eyes to just how bad my daily Starbucks trip was. So instead of sipping a carmel machiotto at my desk while crunching numbers in the morning, I'm sipping a cup of hot green tea enjoying oatmeal :o) It's babysteps... one day at a time.
  • WhyW8
    WhyW8 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I hear you - you have to get back to being the you that you used to be! I had given up on running for a while and got so out of shape, now I'm back but sort of hit a plateau until I found this site. Your goals sound totally achievable in the timeline you have and with all the support you will have I think you will do great! maybe even better than you expect at this point! I got married in the Bahamas and it was the best! Feel free to add me if you want!
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and 20 years ago I used to go to the gym 5 days a week for 2-3 hours a day. Never counted calories before I found this site. I was drinking 5 or 6 cans of mountain dew a day. I can totally relate to drinking tons of calories. Started at 183 on March 16, down to 165 now. You can do it! Just beware there will be bumps in the road. Best wishes on your fitness journey and also your upcoming marriage.