Always over sugar!

Options
pflei014
pflei014 Posts: 6 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I am consistently over my sugar intake, but still have a good amount of calories i could eat on a daily basis. Does anyone have any tips for me? Im not eating dessert type foods very much, i think a large amount of the sugar comes from fruit. I eat about 2-3 servings of fruit a day, but isn't this a good thing? I need tips to stay within my sugar goal!

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You can ignore the goal if you like. IMO, your total calories are more important. (Assuming you're not on a special medical diet.)
  • nesian_twin
    Options
    If you're not prediabetic or diabetic, then eating fruit as your main sugar intake is absolutely okay!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The MFP sugar goal is notoriously low. Unless you have a medical reason, don't worry about it :drinker:
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    edited February 2015
    Options
    or you could change your settings and as a guide (quote):
    According to the American Heart Association (AHA), the maximum amount of added sugars you should eat in a day are (7): Men: 150 calories per day (37.5 grams or 9 teaspoons). Women: 100 calories per day (25 grams or 6 teaspoons).
    Daily Intake of Sugar - How Much Sugar Should You Eat Per ...
    authoritynutrition.com/how-much-sugar-per-day/
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals the NEW dietary guidelines will include specific limits on sugar. But this means ADDED sugar.
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/19/nutrition-panel-calls-for-less-sugar-and-eases-cholesterol-and-fat-restrictions/

If you're interested in that, consider tracking your sugars separately if you eat much of ANY heavily processed foods. Consider that ketchup, bread, dressing, etc, etc etc etc contain added sugars. If you limit your heavily reminded carbs/sugars then most of your sugar will be from fruit/vegetables, which should be fine.
  • pflei014
    Options
    Thank you for your tips!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    or you could change your settings and as a guide (quote):
    According to the American Heart Association (AHA), the maximum amount of added sugars you should eat in a day are (7): Men: 150 calories per day (37.5 grams or 9 teaspoons). Women: 100 calories per day (25 grams or 6 teaspoons).
    Daily Intake of Sugar - How Much Sugar Should You Eat Per ...
    authoritynutrition.com/how-much-sugar-per-day/

whoops, I blow that out everyday ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - calorie deficit = weight loss. Sugar only comes into play if it puts you in a surplus or you have some kind of medical condition; absent of those two factors, you can eat sugar and you will be fine. Additionally, the MFP recommendation is insanely low and I track it just out of general curiosity, and as a point of reference to show people that you can eat 60+ grams of sugar, be healthy, and lose weight….
  • pflei014
    Options
    What does OP stand for?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    pflei014 wrote: »
    What does OP stand for?

original post or original poster

in this case you started the thread so you are the OP …original poster
  • pflei014
    Options
    Ohhh hahaha thanks!
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    What does OPP stand for? And are you down with it?
  • pflei014
    Options
    I am new to my fitness pal. I have only been doing it for about 2 weeks now but in the first week i lost 3 lbs! I haven't yet weighed myself for the end of this week but i notice a weight loss difference already and i feel healthier which to me is most important :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    pflei014 wrote: »
    I am new to my fitness pal. I have only been doing it for about 2 weeks now but in the first week i lost 3 lbs! I haven't yet weighed myself for the end of this week but i notice a weight loss difference already and i feel healthier which to me is most important :)

awesome …

just try not to fall into the mind set of "good" and "bad" foods. There are no good and bad foods, there is just food that your body uses to fuel bodily functions. So you can incorporate ice cream, cookies, etc into your diet, just balance it out with chicken, fish, rice, vegetables, etc, and make sure that you hit your calorie/micro/macro targets for the day
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Like said, sugar is unimportant for weight loss. Unless medically required, there is no need to even monitor sugar intake. Chances are that with a varied diet, your sugar intake (both natural and added, because.... sugar is sugar) will balance out just fine.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Like said, sugar is unimportant for weight loss. Unless medically required, there is no need to even monitor sugar intake. Chances are that with a varied diet, your sugar intake (both natural and added, because.... sugar is sugar) will balance out just fine.

Not according to MANY health professionals, and health organizations. But yes, technically, for a number on a scale to go down, it may be not necessary to monitor sugar.
    Chances are with a Standard American Diet, you're eating too much for health.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Not according to MANY health professionals, and health organizations.

and MANY on the other side so those are full of BS ….

so are you saying that sugar consumption will hamper weight loss in a calorie deficit?
  • kitkatbird
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

so are you saying that sugar consumption will hamper weight loss in a calorie deficit?

No she is saying it won't hamper weight loss but that doesn't mean it won't hurt your health. If I ate a calorie deficit where my diet was all sweets I'd lose weight but I would be skyrocketing my chances for developing diabetes and other health problems. My insulin levels would be so high all the time that my blood cells would become immune to it thus my blood sugar levels would remain high.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    kitkatbird wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

No she is saying it won't hamper weight loss but that doesn't mean it won't hurt your health. If I ate a calorie deficit where my diet was all sweets I'd lose weight but I would be skyrocketing my chances for developing diabetes and other health problems. My insulin levels would be so high all the time that my blood cells would become immune to it thus my blood sugar levels would remain high.

and there is the straw man argument…that train is never late…

No one in this thread advocated a diet of ALL sweets. What people are saying is that you can eat sugar in moderate amounts, be in a deficit, hit your calories/micros/macros, and you will lose weight and be healthy.

60 to 100 grams of sugar a day is hardly a diet of ALL sweets….that is what my sugar looks like and I am not any where near 100% all sugar consumption …my diary is open by the way ..

this may be the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard...