low calorie snacks

Options
hi
I have just strted calorie counting and think I am doing OK.

I originally started with my settings to loose 1lb a week and I was very easily living on the 1600 I was allocated. I lost 1lb a week for the first 2 weeks then decided to change my goal to 2lbs a week.

1200 is much harder to stick to!

I think i'm Ok for meals but I would like to find some low calorie snacks. I usually snack on fruit but its getting a bit boring.

Has anyone found some good low calorie snack foods? (I'm in the UK) I manage not to snack during the day but in the evenings, when my husband is stuffing his skinny face, it's hard!!

Thanks
Karen

Replies

• michay
    michay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think I have an addiction to hummus, but you can have 2-3 tbsp of hummus (Eating Right brand is what I eat but there are a lot out there. Sabra has the best roasted garlic in my opinion) and lots of carrots, cucumber, pepper strips, celery, etc, for 100-150 cals. And it's filling!
  • mfdl1
    mfdl1 Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi,i have just joined and from the uk. I know how you feel as I have eaten nothing but fruit and veg meals,i think my husband is unfair to as he is also skinny and sits on the settee at night and munches on crap,i wouldn't mind so much if he would do it elsewhere.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    In the UK too - I have things like Ryvita with spready-cheese triangles or Philly cheese with sweet chili, couple of slices of ham
    I also bought a few treaty snacks - Soreen do little tiny schmoo malt loaves less than 100 cals
    Ryvita Thins are also v nice - I have the multi-seeded flatbreads.

I also allow myself little treats like the diddy pots of Ambrosia Rice Pudding.
    I also manage to fit in, on occasion, things like Tesco's Creme Caramel as an occasional desert that fits in my logging.

Hope that helps
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Have a look out for the Tasty Little Numbers range. I found them in one of those Whistlestop type shops at Paddington Station last week. The ones I had were some sort of corn snack, I think, and there were a few different flavours. They tasted good, and plugged that little hole But the best part is that they're an even 100 calories per bag. The packaging said that they also do other foods at 200 and 300 calories per serve. Might be worth Googling?

If not, then Snack A Jacks are pretty good, either the jumbo size ones or the smaller packs and they come in sweet and savoury flavours. Otherwise my old standby is any of the powdered chocolate drinks in the tea and coffee aisle of the supermarket. They're only around 40-60 calories per serve.
  • sukifr
    sukifr Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    quavers, skips or ww crisps are low in cals
    mini snack bars like small 2 finger kitkats, a curly wurly is only 115cal (i think),
    satsumas are good for peeling and munching on whilst watching tv
    popcorn
    frozen grapes?
    if i fancy something crunchy i do a big bowl of chopped up apple, carrots, celery etc and whilst my hubby is watching tv tucking into M&M's, maltersers, pringles etc i crunch away on my treats :-)
    it's not ideal, far from when you are used to eating 'junk' but it's all about conditioning yourself to what needs to change.

In the past and i'm talking 12yrs ago now - when I lost 4 stone attending Slimming Magazine Clubs I also was on 1200cals a day and I used to save 250cals for my evening treats when the kids had gone to bed, i'd have a bag of quavers and a curly wurly a satsuma. It felt like I was being naughty, but it was all in my daily allowance, and it did work!
    Freezing chocolate bars like curly wurly's makes it take longer to eat as the caramel goes all chewy. mmmmm curly wurly oh i've gone off in a trance now mmmmm :-)
    Hope this is of some help? it depends i suppose what kind of person you are sweet or savoury?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You will only sabotage yourself if you don't eat enough calories and are hungry. BTW, below are some general guidelines to follow based on achieving a normal weight (not your goal as that can be over extended). Also, if you exercise, you can eat more. So workout and eat back 50% of your calories. This will put you around 1700-1800 calories which should keep satiety in check and allow you to enjoy your weight loss. Also, think protein or fats with snack... they are better for satiety.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • vonda_571
    Options
    i made a really delicious homemade granola bar.
    1/4c. honey
    1/4c. coconut oil
    1/4c. brown sugar
    1 tablespoon cocoa (optional)
    heat these over the stove more no more than 2 min.

2 cups oats
    1 cup rice krispie cereal
    1/4 c. almonds, nuts, choc chips, dried fruit, etc (optional)

mix the oats and cereal in the honey mixture until well coated. press into an 8x8 container. press firmly to help the bars stick together. If you don't press firmly the bars will fall apart.

You can't taste the coconut so if you really like the taste you can always add more.
  • UKChloeT
    Options
    I need some low cal snacks from the UK too!
    I've got 12 weeks to lose 10lbs....it's do-able but I'm worried about Christmas!!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Consider a range--anywhere between 1200-1600 rather than one or the other. Eat the 1200 only if you really aren't hungry and aren't feeling tired, emotional, or anything else that could indicate that you didn't eat enough.

They aren't low calorie, but a serving of nuts can be very satisfying and filling. I often have them in my 1200 calorie days, and I don't go to bed hungry. If I'm hungry, I eat. Some of the unsweetened lattes or cappuccinos at coffee houses are a great snack. Fruits and veggies of course. A hard boiled egg with a pickle for salt cravings.
  • serenalesley
    serenalesley Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Alpen Light cereal bars are about 70 cals each and are really yummy, loads of different flavours too (I love the cherry bakewell ones). Also, snack on a hard-boiled egg, make a few at a time and bung in the fridge, they're great at filling the gap. Carrot sticks and pieces of fruit pre-weighed and portioned into low-cal baggies are also great. :)
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I've just found this post (it's 3 years old) and I find it really interesting. Since then I have lost almost 4 stone with slimming world and now exercise 4 times a week. I'm a totally different person. I have come back to MFP to help me loose more body fat whilst maintaining my lean muscle mass. I have 1400 calories a day and am not finding it hard to stick to at all (so far!). In fact I have been well within my allowance every day except Friday which is my cheat day and even that was within my weekly allowance.

For the record I have Alpen lights, oranges or veggies with humous for my snacks :)
  • Missbodyrocker
    Options
    Make sugar free jelly and have it with a muller light yoghurt. Any crisps under 100 cals, ryvita with peanut butter and banana, home made soup veg only, blue ribands, kit kats, chomps, crunchie 's, crackers with low fat cheese traingles, cold meat straight from the pack, warburton thins with whatever..
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I've just found this post (it's 3 years old) and I find it really interesting. Since then I have lost almost 4 stone with slimming world and now exercise 4 times a week. I'm a totally different person. I have come back to MFP to help me loose more body fat whilst maintaining my lean muscle mass. I have 1400 calories a day and am not finding it hard to stick to at all (so far!). In fact I have been well within my allowance every day except Friday which is my cheat day and even that was within my weekly allowance.

For the record I have Alpen lights, oranges or veggies with humous for my snacks :)

Awesome work.