Weight lifting Q

Options
This is probably a stupid question, and has probably been asked before but I can't find it so am asking away.

I am trying to build some muscle to help with overall fatloss and health, and so have been learning to lift weights (most I can manage is 45kg, so never super heavy). I have been eating lots of protein, but my calories are still set at 1200...is this alright?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Probably not.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Do not know your size, weight and goals (other than to lose weight and gain muscle) but 1200 cals is pretty low. Have you discovered your caloric needs? Pretty important to know.
    You want to ensure you aren't losing your present muscle mass while losing weight and lifting is a great idea.
    People here can help you out, it is a common concern and definitely not a stupid question.

• kingw363
    kingw363 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I never get how to calculate the amount of protein to take, I have read several times that it is like 1g per lb or so but at least for me that sounds like a lot.
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Hey riffraff, how do I work out my caloris needs? I want to lose about 10lbs, I am classed as 'overweight' but I definitely have more fat on me than I should :s
  • osubeam
    osubeam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 138 and 5'3 and my calories were set to 1200 a day when I started lifting. I found that was not enough and was famished/weak after work outs. I bumped my goal to one pond a week lost resulting in my limit going up to almost 1400. I find this seems appropriate, I just make sure to save enough calories (it's even okay to go a little over) for a post workout protein shake (using almond milk). On lifting days I try and eat a lot of protein so my muscles are happy. I hope this helps!