Logging over eating

Options
okay so I am running down everything I am eating. I am having a bad day a bit depressed and I have resorted to eating garbage. What is the point of writing everything down if your behavior will not change??

Replies

• haraheart
    haraheart Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Maybe seeing the rubbish in all its glory and breakdown of constituents will help. I am not trying to lose weight (yet) just seeing what my normal diet looks like. Looks like cr@p today but the calories and fat of a percentage of what I've eaten is a wake up call
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Just getting into the habit of logging is a step in the right direction. Logging and weighing will make you more conscientious of your intake. Likely if you weigh and log your behavior will change over time. Things we observe change because we are observing them (hawthorne effect)
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with daily cal goals. I work on weekly cal goals, so if I have a bad eating day I can still work to be inside my weekly goal on the other days. To do that I need to log the bad eating to the best of my ability.
  • sharonocallaghan1956
    Options
    I just think that it helps to focus your mind on exactly what you are eating. Si much of what we eat is actually what is termed as mindless snacking - just eating stuff without actually registering that we are actually consuming anything. Logging everything makes you mindful and that is the key to success I believe. Even if you are having a bad day you are mindful of it and you can realise what you need to change. Keep going it does get easier and your habits will change.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    you're writing it down because it is what it is. This is a platform to help you keep track of your intake, whether it goes above or below your goals, and will help you understand how your intake influences your goals.

You also can't blame other things on you not changing your behaviour - seems like blaming depression (been suffering since I was a child, myself) and "garbage" here. You made the choice to eat everything you did, assuming you went over your caloric needs then you - consciously or not - decided that the ramifications were worth it. So tomorrow eat how you normally do. Eat how you plan to eat for LIFE, and it will probably help you reduce these kind of over-eating scenarios.

If all you did was eat "garbage" within your caloric needs though, then uh.. there isn't a problem.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    If you eat it, own it! Period, or this will not work. If you are having a bad day so be it. Tomorrow is another day but today still happened, good or bad.
  • Jaygee13
    Jaygee13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ate nearly 3000 calories and I have a feeling today will be over too. I have logged everything and I suggest you do too because it helps you to understand your eating patterns and what your weaknesses are. The more I log what I am over eating, the less I want to do it. I hate reading how much I have eaten! I hate seeing it and realizing how bad it is for me. It makes me want to stick to my goals even more because then I can't deny how much I really have eaten. It's easy to say "oh well, I've gone over, no point logging" but then you fall in to the trap of eating even more because you can't see it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    To stop the slippery slope and to not give yourself the feeling that it doesn't matter

Log it

Move on

And sorry you're having a crappy day
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with daily cal goals. I work on weekly cal goals, so if I have a bad eating day I can still work to be inside my weekly goal on the other days. To do that I need to log the bad eating to the best of my ability.

This.^^
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I forced myself to log what I did to myself yesterday. In the past if I knew I was going over I might quick add 1000 calories but I really need to start being more strict with myself. I ate it-I log it. Plus I want my data to be as accurate as possible when I'm calculating calories/macros for certain goals.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Nightfly01 wrote: »
    okay so I am running down everything I am eating. I am having a bad day a bit depressed and I have resorted to eating garbage. What is the point of writing everything down if your behavior will not change??

Writing it all down IS a behavior change. That's AWESOME that you are doing this!!! I've had moments of sadness/depression on my journey too- I think everyone does. Focus on what you're doing RIGHT! A great start is seeing what you're eating. Be kind to yourself. Try to be your own friend. Keep logging, and maybe set a goal of when you're willing to start cutting out 200 calories a day. Then you can start that way and see what happens. 200 calories a day will help you lose about 1/2 pound a week, which might motivate you to do even more. It's also a number you might find easy to reduce. Good luck to you. You can do it! And know we're all here cheering for you.
  • Nightfly01
    Nightfly01 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I got a tell you depression is a *kitten*. It is crippling
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You log it, so you can see where the problem in your diet is and take steps to rectify it. This isn't going to be perfect everyday, but your logging can be.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Focus on something you can do. Doesn't matter how small. Set a goal you know you can accomplish and go from there. There's no timer on getting healthy- so take your time . Hugs to you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Maybe your behavior won't change overnight...but logging (everything) can help you change your behavior in the long run.

Maybe cut yourself a little slack and realize that this *kitten* isn't overnight...you don't just do a 180* and completely change the way you live overnight. Maybe take some baby steps...learn to swim before you jump into the deep end, etc.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I got a tell you depression is a *kitten*. It is crippling

Sorry to hear you are under the storm cloud... :disappointed: If you need help, please see a professional or reach out to a trusted friend, colleague, or pastor just to talk.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    There is only one person that can change your behaviors. It's up to you.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Your body logs it, so you may as well do the same. Besides, who are you doing this for? Nobody else cares as much about this as you do, so????? Everybody has a bad day some time. Anybody who says s/he doesn't is lying--maybe to him/herself, maybe to that imaginary somebody s/he thinks will condemn him/her--but lying. And some of us have bad WEEKS.

Just don't let it stop you. Every day is a new day. Start over. (If that sounds like failure to you, read it as A NEW BEGINNING.)

Some day you may look back at this and think, "How could I have done that?"
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I log both the good and the bad. Seeing those red numbers usually reigns me back in and stops me from doing it again.

• greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    During a recent trip with too much going on and not enough time for myself, I allowed myself to stop logging. Besides breaking my streak (50 days!) I have no idea what I ate or how much for almost a week. It turns out that despite having company sponsored meals most if the time I managed to not gain anything. I expected to see a weight gain, but didn't. Now I wish I knew how I did it.