Intermittent fasting and or 5:2 diet

Options
nesian_twin
nesian_twin Posts: 198
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I know 5:2 created by Dr Mosley has its own group in here but it doesnt seem to be active.

Has anyone in here tried IF, whether it be 5:2 or not eg Leangains. How long for and did it work for you? not only as in weight loss but also for more energy, less cravings, more self control, better health as in lower cholesterol and improved blood test results?

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting or whatever eating "protocol" you choose to follow does only one thing. Allows you to adhere to your diet better. Eating at a caloric deficit, no matter if that's 6 meals spread across the day or 2 meals spread across a few hours, will produce the same weightloss results. Where I.F. comes into play is with the extended period of not eating during the day, the hormone for hunger gets quelled for those who have hunger issues, and some feel better eating one or two larger meals than more smaller meals.

So from a weightloss perspective, if I.F. allows you to hit your daily calorie goals easier (for you), then sounds like that's what will work for you. That weight loss will probably cause the other health markers you are asking about, but not because of the I.F. per say, but in general because of the weight loss.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The books by Mosley, Varady and others have good info about health benefits of intermittent modified fasting.

I did ADMF for 3 months late last year and have mixed feelings about it. It was a good experience at the time but I'm not in a hurry to go back to it. I prefer long term to try to eat around 80% 'healthy foods' (produce, lean protein, whole grains, yogurt, etc.) and 20% of the funner stuff (sugar, alcohol, pizza, burgers, etc.) On ADMF I felt like I was flipping that ratio. Not that everyone will do that, and I could've reined it in over time, but I felt like if I was going to have 500 calorie days, I 'earned' eating whatever I felt like the other days. And because I had been calorie counting the 6 months prior, I was ready for that 'fun' food!

But I felt like it was a really educational experience. Learning true hunger and that it's not an emergency was invaluable.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Just came across a new study today from the University of Florida on possible benefits of IF.
    sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/02/150227112508.htm
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I prefer IF. It helps keep me in control. Knowing I have a window of so many hours to get my calories in works for me. If I tried to spread it out throughout the day, I'd graze nonstop and eat myself back into a caloric hole. I usually do a 4 hour window to get everything in. I feel full and satisfied. Works for some, and not for others!
  • jenniferjohnsonament
    Options
    I have been doing intermittent fasting for 8 weeks and have lost 18 lbs. I will tell you some of the things I have done (as a mix of info on the website and suggestions from others) that I feel have made me successful.

On my fasting days, I try to eat very clean. You can make your low cal/fast days out of whatever calories you want technically, but I found with trial and error that when I eat fruit, veggies, and lean proteins I am not only more satisfied but my results are better. I also do not "make" myself eat every calories. If I come in 50 under, that's fine as long as I'm satisfied.

I do not go all out on my non fasting days. I hear some people saying they eat whatever they want with abandon on non fast days. These people will argue that this is the only way to save your metabolism. My issue with careless eating 5 out of 7 days a week is that it's a slippery slope..eventually that turns to careless eating 6 days a week and then careless eating 7 days a week. On my non fast days, I eat a healthy diet of 1200-1600 calories.

I watch my salt intake...I have found that eating in this way tends to make me more sensitive to water weight retention. So in addition to drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day, I keep my salt under 2000mg/day (max is 2300 so I am under that.)

I have one cheat meal a week...I tend to make this Friday date night..but if I have something coming up such as a family get together, I just juggle my cheat meal to that occasion.

On weeks that I am not seeing the results I want, or I had a couple days where I wasn't able to eat how I wanted to, I will occasionally do 4:3 fasting which is adding a fast day that week.

Hope this helps...it is a pretty simple eating plan to follow.
  • jenniferjohnsonament
    Options
    I almost forgot...I do stick to a 16/8 eating schedule. This means if I have my first bite at 8 am...my last is at 4pm. As a result, I normally eat breakfast at 9am-10am and don't have another morsel after dinner.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »
    Intermittent fasting or whatever eating "protocol" you choose to follow does only one thing. Allows you to adhere to your diet better.

I generally stick to an aggressively modified 16/8 format, except for me it's more like 21/3. The benefit, as you point out, is adherence.

It allows me to go out to restaurants, pubs, order pizza, or eat essentially whatever I want, once per day. Six days a week this tends to be relatively healthy home cooked meals, but on that 7th day when my family or friends want to go out for some social eating, I can do it.

Never having to say "no" to a social obligation is what has allowed me to keep my "diet" up for 151 days so far, showing that this is do-able as a lifestyle change and not just a short term restriction.
  • Bogditzy
    Bogditzy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I also do intermittent fasting and works really well for me. I eat between 1PM and 9PM. My body adjusted after a few weeks of doing this :smile:

I tend to get hungry around 12.30pm and eat a lunch of ~ 500 cal. The second meal is around 7.30 which is in the zone of 1200 cal (protein based + all kinds of cheese (I like cheese hehe), avocado, salad, antipasti - artishoken/dried tomatoes/olives hehe)...and towards the end of my eating window I either eat some fruits/ice-cream/whateve I want ...to reach my goal of 2000. Between the two meals I sometimes eat a fruit & nuts.

I really like it this way because I always eat around when I get hungry and I usually don't have any cravings afterwards as I fell full & satisfied.

33 days (lost ~13 lbs - 6kg) and going strong ^_^
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I tried 5:2 IF but I began to dread those 500 calorie days.

Now I am fasting 16 hours each day and eating only between 11AM and 7PM. It's been three months now and it's very very helpful for managing unplanned late night snacking. I think of those 16 hours as critical to the process and I simply won't break my fast for anything.

It has also trained me to tolerate a little hunger and not feel an urgent need to eat at the first twinge.

On days I have social plans for the evening, I just slide the eating window to a few hours later.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Also...if you're interested, look up Alzheimer's Disease (aka Type 3 diabetes) and intermittent fasting. There has been some interesting reasearch, however only on rats, I think.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »
    Intermittent fasting or whatever eating "protocol" you choose to follow does only one thing. Allows you to adhere to your diet better. Eating at a caloric deficit, no matter if that's 6 meals spread across the day or 2 meals spread across a few hours, will produce the same weightloss results. Where I.F. comes into play is with the extended period of not eating during the day, the hormone for hunger gets quelled for those who have hunger issues, and some feel better eating one or two larger meals than more smaller meals.

So from a weightloss perspective, if I.F. allows you to hit your daily calorie goals easier (for you), then sounds like that's what will work for you. That weight loss will probably cause the other health markers you are asking about, but not because of the I.F. per say, but in general because of the weight loss.

TRUE, it is CICO when talking about the longterm. Day to day weight would depend on a variety of things, such as calories burned, water intake/discharge, and food intake/discharge. Any diet is just a specific method for following that CICO rule. I, personally, will not ever fast on purpose, because my body does that on its own. I have 1 OR 2 meals a day, never three when on my high fat, mostly-but-not-always ketogenic diet. The fat keeps me satiated for a minimum 8 hours, and my body runs on fat for energy throughout. Yes, sometimes I get hungry and I am unable to take care of it, so I go a few hours without food, but this is usually after about the 11th-13th hour since my last meal.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I do the 5:2 and I've had great results. Although i think each person is different and what works for one won't necessarily work for someone else. The 5:2 group is active. I just posted on it before.
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    Options
    Thank you everyone for getting back to me! Really appreciate your opinions, advice, stories. Thank you jenniferjohnson for your detailed account of what you do, its a great guideline for me. I feel so naughty having fish n chips tonight but its all within my calories and not something I have every week. I will go back to the 5:2 group thanks karen_fitzgibbon, that and clean eating. What pincushion said (quote):

I prefer IF. It helps keep me in control. Knowing I have a window of so many hours to get my calories in works for me. If I tried to spread it out throughout the day, I'd graze nonstop and eat myself back into a caloric hole. I usually do a 4 hour window to get everything in. I feel full and satisfied. Works for some, and not for others!

I can relate to this. The 5 or 6 meal a day just doesn't work for me, makes me hungrier and I lose control of my appetite and that's not an excuse, it's a blood sugar thing, I am prediabetic.

With IF I intend to learn self-discipline, stick to my fast then enjoy it when I do eat without going overboard. So far so good I have lost 2kg but time will tell whether I can make this a permanent lifestyle change and shall try my best, thank you again!