Need help

Options
im starting calorie counting and I'm limiting myself to 2100 calories (it's a start). I feel hungry all the time and I know it's the whole "stomach shrinking" but it sucks none the less. Was wondering if you all had any suggestions on food that won't bust my calorie limit that will make me full.

Also looking into protine supplements. Any help there will also be much appreciated...

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you reduce a lot of your high calorie density foods you'll feel better. For example you need 70 cups of spinach to meet the same amount of calories in 1 cup of flour.

You can cut your fat back a little too. There are 9 calories in one gram of fat and only 4 calories in one gram of carbs or protein. Just make sure you're still eating fat because it's essential. You want quality fats like omega 3 from fish or flax, and some from coconut oil or olive oil. Avocado is great too, but another calorie dense food

I suggest a quality whey protein isolate or concentrate without any flavors or fillers. I use one called Promix and love it. Avoid any ion-exchange filtration of the protein powder. It's a cheap method that damages the nutrition and health promoting aspects of the protein. If the brand doesn't state what filtration method they use, assume they are using this one because it's cheapest, and avoid it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    tgkirn wrote: »
    im starting calorie counting and I'm limiting myself to 2100 calories (it's a start). I feel hungry all the time and I know it's the whole "stomach shrinking" but it sucks none the less. Was wondering if you all had any suggestions on food that won't bust my calorie limit that will make me full.

Also looking into protine supplements. Any help there will also be much appreciated...

Your stomach doesn't shrink.

How much fat and protein are you eating?
  • tgkirn
    tgkirn Posts: 14 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • tgkirn
    Options
    tgkirn wrote: »

Your stomach doesn't shrink.

How much fat and protein are you eating?

That's why I put it in quotes lol...I'm getting about 75 - 100 grams of both a day looking back at my last few days (with a day or so at 50g)
  • Ni_kki
    Ni_kki Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? What about your fiber intake ?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What are your stats

Age, height, weight, weight loss per week goal, activity level excluding exercise

What kind of foods do you like to eat? Do you cook?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Above questions, plus, are you eating back exercise calories?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Your protein sounds quite low ..I'm a 5'8 woman and my protein goal based on 0.8-1g protein to 1lb LBM is 100 g
  • joeykay818
    joeykay818 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Fiber is your friend. Wheat berries and farro and quinoa are awesome. 1 cup of each is about 300 calories. If you make up a batch, especially of the wheat berries or farro, and add berries, half cup of blueberries, it will fill you up for a bit, and its actually tastes pretty good. Water also helps, but so do nuts, almonds are a great snack to get you from one meal to the next.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to up your proteins and I imagine fats (keeps you sated longer).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Raw or veggies can help with the feeling of volume -- cut up broccoli or cauliflower, green beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein as mentioned above. I generally follow this: Multiply my weight by .8 and eat that many grams or more. Multiply my weight by .4 and eat that many grams of fat or more. My other calories are whatever I want (carbs, fat, or protein. )

Protein and fat help a ton with feeling full.
  • tgkirn
    edited March 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    What are your stats

Age, height, weight, weight loss per week goal, activity level excluding exercise

What kind of foods do you like to eat? Do you cook?

5'10" currently 210 (started 220) 30 years old, would love to loose 2 lbs a week and relatively active. I don't have a desk job and I try to work out at least 3 days a week so far (Don't want to just burn myself out this early and quit). Like to cook and can cook if given the time.
  • tgkirn
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Above questions, plus, are you eating back exercise calories?

I'm going to try to stay under my calorie intake allowed per day no matter how much I loose during exercise.
  • tgkirn
    Options
    This is why I was looking into protein supplements or powder to get more protein.