I want to run...

Options
What are some good apps to help a beginning runner/jogger?

Replies

• hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    elly620 wrote: »

Don't use apps myself i am a bit old school, i just ran then next time ran a bit further, when i got to 5k i would either run further or faster and on good days both together

As long as you put in the effort and ignore the voice in your head you will do fine

• mel02monroe
    mel02monroe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Run keeper is a good running and walking app. It tracks where you went, time, calories, and interval alerts that you can customize.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Start slow. So slow you feel like you're doing a slow-motion mime of someone running. A jog-walk-jog-walk pattern is a good start, and give yourself at least a day off between runs to begin with. Running is great fun but is high impact so be cautious at first especially if you have previous injuries or delicate joints. Get a good playlist!
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k s pretty popular. I didn't car for it and took my own path but it seems to work for a lot of people.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    elly620 wrote: »

NHS Couch to 5Km is a series of podcasts, equally there are several Couch to 5K apps out there.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is one of the best. Runkeeper allows you to friend people and stay accountable.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper allows you to friend people and stay accountable.

Good point. GPS tracking apps include Runkeeper, Endomondo, Runtastic or Strava. There are others but those are the most sophisticated.

Personally I'd recommend Endomondo or Runkeeper, don't rate Runtastic. Strava is very good but has fewer newbie friendly features. It's my analysis tool of choice.

Mapmy fitness is also an option but personally I had all kinds of trouble with it so wouldn't recommend it.