Eating late at night

Options

Replies

• JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yes I've read that this is just a myth as well so I have stopped following the "stop eating 3 hours before you sleep" rule, but hearing other people's stories just reinforces it! Thank you for sharing! I'm going to go eat a banana now :)
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Another great post taso,

I eat about 75% of my calorie intake after 6pm. What has happened since I've done this? I've dropped more body-fat. It's a huge myth. It's like we forget our metabolism run 24 hours a day, and we aren't eating while we are sleeping.
    Our brain needs glucose, lots of it while we are sleeping. If we go to bed hungry we stress out our system and we release cortisol which ends up stripping our muscles for energy.
    Never, ever go to bed hungry.
    There's studies showing you burn more fat, and spare muscle tissue by eating more later rather than earlier. Honestly it makes perfect sense, it just goes against the grain.
  • Fiedems
    Fiedems Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I work 7pm to 7am. Even on my days off, I'm usually keep similar hours. So if I didn't eat at night I would starve.
  • Jessadoo
    Jessadoo Posts: 7
    Options
    This is SUCH a relief! I always get a craving for a snack later on in the evening - I always heard.. don't eat after 8! But most of the time I would be sitting down for dinner at that time and feeling guilty, so this is great to hear. Thanks for sharing!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    agreed. I eat every night before bed.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Yep, me too. I eat around 800 calories every night 1-2 hours before bed. Also consume most of my days carbs at this time.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm a night owl. I work second shift, so I'm often up til 2 or 3am. I go to the gym at night (it's more convenient and less crowded if I go at 11pm!) and I eat late at night. I can't stand going to bed hungry, so I always eat before bed. I think it is more about food choices than it is about what time you're eating. I do workout at night, so that may be part of why I can get away with eating before bed. Though I will say - I do TRY and limit the amount of carbs I'm eating right before going to sleep.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I always save up some calories for my evening snacktime. Hubby and I like to watch movies and eat a little ice cream at night. :) Still loosing! :)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I keep about 60% of my calories for the evening as I know this is the time when I naturally tend to consume the most food. My workouts also take place on the evening.

Play to your strengths, minimise your weaknesses. Weirdly, I have managed to keep my BF% between 12 -15% for most of my adult life doing this (and have also been sub 10% doing the same) amongst other things.

The "eating late at night makes you fat" myth needs to die....
  • CommittohealthCHANGED
    CommittohealthCHANGED Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    :tongue: bump to read later
  • wicklessgal
    wicklessgal Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    So glad to read this as I am ALWAYS hungry later in the evening and was worried about having calories that I was having to finish that late at night. Thank you again for sharing!!!
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    Yep, me too. I eat around 800 calories every night 1-2 hours before bed. Also consume most of my days carbs at this time.

I was just recently told in order to speed up my weight loss I should taper off my carbs throughout the day. I also have a coworker that actually eats her dinner at work around 3:30 pm and insists it's a bad idea for me to eat dinner in the evening, let alone late snacks. So thanks for posting this, great to see so many people succeeding without c
    Cutting out late eating!
  • artemis222
    artemis222 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    This is such a relief. I had been feeling guilty for eating a bit late at night simply so I don't keep waking up at 3AM STARVING.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    The food-at-night myth has gone on too long and it's throwing people off course. It's got to stop.

YES! Thank you! ^_^
  • shelly650
    shelly650 Posts: 319
    Options
    I agree with you! When im going to bed i will always eat something, whether its a couple of crackers or a bowl of cereal! But i always make sure It is within my calories and carbs!!

I use to feel guilty and taught that eating late would make the scales go up........but it never has!!
  • mtf612
    mtf612 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Casein with water every night (1hour to immediately) before bed. I used to use milk but I dont feel the need for the extra late night sugar since sugar and simple carbs turn to flab if they arent utilized - which they wont be if you go into REM sleep.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bump :tongue:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I completely agree.

It isn't WHEN you eat, but WHAT you are eating. I truly believe the "Don't eat after dinner" weight loss theory came about because most people will freely admit that they want to snack on unhealthy foods as they watch tv, a movie, use the computer, etc. It isn't because you are eating at 10pm, it is because you are eating JUNK at 10pm. That is why.

I eat every single night before I go to bed - if I don't, I wake up in the middle of the night starving and will make some horrible food choice. Better for me to eat healthy foods BEFORE bed than to go to bed hungry and end up eating a bowl of ice cream at 4am.
  • highdesertgirl
    Options
    I also eat a snack such as cereal or a skinnycow ice cream bar before I go to bed or I cannot sleep if I am hungry. I've also been doing WW for over 6 months and it hasn't hindered any weight loss for me either.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have been eating late diners since I started to lose weight, I'm done with diner around 10pm, I thought I couldn't eat past 7 hehe!