Need some advice guys.

Options
2»

Replies

• cornerofgreystreet
    cornerofgreystreet Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Alot of the symptoms that you mentioned are signs of anorexia. I hope you have success with your doctor and find somebody that can get you the help you need. Wishing you all the best.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    All I can say is, I'm glad you're getting some help. I really hope you don't fall victim to the fear and keep yourself healthy. MAJOR best wishes and please keep reaching out to us too.
  • ballwebhost
    ballwebhost Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Cornerofgreystreet, thats what terrifies me most! Is I have looked up information on the internet and from watching programs on television, I show all the symptoms of anorexia except for being underweight which I don't know if you actually have to be clinically underweight for anorexia.
  • cornerofgreystreet
    cornerofgreystreet Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Cornerofgreystreet, thats what terrifies me most! Is I have looked up information on the internet and from watching programs on television, I show all the symptoms of anorexia except for being underweight which I don't know if you actually have to be clinically underweight for anorexia.

I don't know either to be honest with you. I do know that the symptoms you have may indicate an eating disorder. Please follow through with seeing your doctor and be safe. I think the most important thing is that you recognize you have a problem and want to do something about it. Eating disorders are nasty business but there is definitely hope for recovery. You can do it!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you have an appointment with psychologist, you really need professional help with this issue. Eating disorders, food obsessions, whatever you want to call it, are not easily dealt with without the help of a professional.
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you are seeking some professional help. If your obsession is impacting how you function in your every day life you need to address it. Good luck in your journey.

Agree.

I'm afraid I can't give you advice, and I'm glad I'm not tempted to. I just want you to know that you have people who are listening to you and who are willing to encourage, support, and befriend you.

Now, with that said, I have to ask: How are you doing with the friends you have, both here and in real life? Do you have just regular guys you can talk to in real life? Are there some others online that you're able to share about this, openly, in a regular and consistent way? I'm just asking because for me the most transformative thing in my decades has been to get involved with a group of men where we've gone beyond joking and preening and jabbing. (I'm _so_ not advertising - just telling.) And I found that having some guys to tell all these painful things to and to have them listen to me has been an enormous freedom and release. Because I suspect you might just need to find some people who accept you as you are and with whom you can share these things.

Yeah, that last sentence is close to advice. But it's not. Sometimes people hear that ("you need to do X") and see it as advice that they can't follow and it just adds more of a burden. Don't treat it that way. Think of it more as "here's what I found, and it's really worked, but if it doesn't work for you, that's great, too - don't dig yourself deeper."

Good luck with your appointment. Your doctor will help you work this issue, and your friends here on MFP will be around to listen as well.
  • ballwebhost
    ballwebhost Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you are seeking some professional help. If your obsession is impacting how you function in your every day life you need to address it. Good luck in your journey.

Agree.

I'm afraid I can't give you advice, and I'm glad I'm not tempted to. I just want you to know that you have people who are listening to you and who are willing to encourage, support, and befriend you.

Now, with that said, I have to ask: How are you doing with the friends you have, both here and in real life? Do you have just regular guys you can talk to in real life? Are there some others online that you're able to share about this, openly, in a regular and consistent way? I'm just asking because for me the most transformative thing in my decades has been to get involved with a group of men where we've gone beyond joking and preening and jabbing. (I'm _so_ not advertising - just telling.) And I found that having some guys to tell all these painful things to and to have them listen to me has been an enormous freedom and release. Because I suspect you might just need to find some people who accept you as you are and with whom you can share these things.

Yeah, that last sentence is close to advice. But it's not. Sometimes people hear that ("you need to do X") and see it as advice that they can't follow and it just adds more of a burden. Don't treat it that way. Think of it more as "here's what I found, and it's really worked, but if it doesn't work for you, that's great, too - don't dig yourself deeper."

Good luck with your appointment. Your doctor will help you work this issue, and your friends here on MFP will be around to listen as well.

Hey,

Thanks for your reply.

To be honest, No to your answer about having regular guys that I can talk to.. I'm not a person that easily makes friends, and don't really have that many, none that I could talk so openly about this topic to, which is possibly why I am so worried about acceptance.

I appreciate what your saying and thank you for taking the time to reply, I'm glad that there are people there that will listen and not judge either. !

Thanks again everyone for your replies :)
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Keep us posted how it works out.

Let me tell you from experience - when you start the journey of discovering where your pain comes from, you want the *solution* right away. It can take a bit of time, and there will be a few twists in the journey.

It's really important that you not think "I *have* to get better" but that you realize "I'm *going* to get healthy." And it may be that you discover some things about yourself you didn't think about before, and that you find strength you never exposed and weaknesses you'd never admit.

Which is OK, because it's not a contest. And we're not going to exclude you.

It was a very brave thing you did, posting this. I admire you for that.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    I'm glad you have an appointment with a psychologist.

I have no experience or education to give you any advice on this other than to encourage you to keep that appointment and be open to the help that is offered you.

Best of luck to you and here's to your future happiness! :flowerforyou:
  • chennette
    chennette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I too believe you are headed inthe right direction. I am an emotional eater and I have issues with eating without thinking when I don't want to deal with issues at hand.
    I am not a Pyschologist; however, I believe you are trading one obsession with another and the bottom line is to see what is triggering the obsession with food. It could be control or the lack there of. Check out this web site as well: www.shrinkyourself.com. Try it; it's worth a try to happiness.

One LOve!:love: