Planner or track as you go?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I plan ahead...let's just say I've never had to start a thread like, "UH OH...I only have XXX calories left for dinner...HALP!" It's not like I don't know what I'm going to eat during a given day...might as well log it ahead of time so I know where I need to make changes or tweak things.

Exactly! ! Pretty much what I was "trying" to say. :grumble: :smiley:

• lcdblue1026
    lcdblue1026 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I kinda do both, I typically take left over dinner for lunch and my breakfast is a protein shake. So I usually pre log that and if I know what I'm having for dinner I will prelog that as well. Then I make modifications depending on what I actually eat. This tends to work for me as it gives me an idea as to where I'm at but I don't have to be fanatical about it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my day the night before or in the morning. I make adjustments if I need to but usually not much.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my day the night before, sometimes up to two nights before. That way, I can look at my macros and be sure I am eating balanced meals and staying in my goals. This also helps me make sure I pack my food to take to work with me. The days I don't take my food, I eat out and blow my day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I prelog what I know, then change quantities as I go.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I prelog my day every morning. This way I can tweak things if I'm over or under. If I log as I go or log after I've eaten, it may be too late as I may have unintentionally gone over.

This.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I normally log the day before. But I went a little crazy this week and have things logged til next Saturday. I still change things as the day goes on. But I can cook all my own food and we usually plan days in advance for eating out. So the dinner usually does not change.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I pre-log. Sometimes I end up changing things around but I like to have a plan.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I usually go day to day but sometimes I prolog the day before I have breakfast if I know I'm going to have a busy day.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I would looooooove to be able to plan ahead... unfortunately, every breakfast hubby makes is different every morning... I never decide a head of time what I'm going to be eating... there's like 9 different breakfast potatoes in my recipes.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead for me works best or else I just go "stuff it"
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I log the day before, but of course allow modifications. I have to get meat out of the freezer the night before, so might as well work out what I'd going to do with it. I also just feel more in control, it's easier for me to not go ballistic with a bag of Doritos if I already have snacks etc planned out.

Maybe closer to goal I'll relax the reins a bit, but with about 170 pounds still to go, I NEED to stay in control.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, before I go to bed I know what I'm going to wear tomorrow. Sure, sometimes I'll change my mind and wear the flouncy white blouse instead of the cute tight red top. But in general, this helps me space out my clothes and make sure I've got reasonably coordinating outfits available until my next laundry day.

Why would my food be different, really? Pre-planning helps me use up the food in my fridge without wasting stuff, know what I need to buy the next time I go grocery shopping, as well as stay within my macros on the regular.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    More as I go. Sometimes there are days like tomorrow where I know what I'll have for breakfast/lunch and I can prelog, but it's rare.
  • junthree
    junthree Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I plan out and pre-log, especially weekdays. I just finished entering all my food for the next 6 days. Tomorrow I will spend a few hours cooking and prepping all my meals and snacks for the week. Then each morning I just grab and go.

By pre-logging, I can make adjustments as needed. If my calorie count is a little high, I can cut a few calories by eating 3/4 cup of yogurt instead of a full cup for breakfast. If my calorie count is a little low, I can add an extra ounce of chicken at lunch. It helps me balance out my calories through out the day.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I prelog what I know, then change quantities as I go.

This. I have a "typical" breakfast that I build my day around, so it's a little easier on the days I stick to that meal. I'm not rigid about keeping to what I've pre-logged, though.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    junthree wrote: »
    I plan out and pre-log, especially weekdays. I just finished entering all my food for the next 6 days. Tomorrow I will spend a few hours cooking and prepping all my meals and snacks for the week. Then each morning I just grab and go.

By pre-logging, I can make adjustments as needed. If my calorie count is a little high, I can cut a few calories by eating 3/4 cup of yogurt instead of a full cup for breakfast. If my calorie count is a little low, I can add an extra ounce of chicken at lunch. It helps me balance out my calories through out the day.
    So glad I am not the only one who does this. I love seeing what I can fit in the day. It does change but, I plan about a week in advance.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I generally pre-log. I know what I'm eating for breakfast and lunch most days, and then I can kind of swing it for dinner. Plus, I just like planning things :)
  • amoynoodle
    amoynoodle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I pre-log every morning or the night before... i often cant pre-log dinner as i dont know what il have, but i pack all my snacks and lunch to bring to work with me every day, so theyre all logged. I love knowing how many calories i need to burn at the gym so i can fit in some chocolate for my dessert - then i can look forward to it all day! haha. Without pre-logging i think this whole weight loss thing would be a lot harder for me.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I plan the whole week ahead. On Friday I plan out the week's menu anyway for my grocery shopping list. Might as well pre-log in MFP as well. :)