Running

Options
I've been trying to get back into running but I keep getting these horrible cramps! They're mainly isolated to between my lower calves and ankles. Anything I can do?

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Check your shoes. Are they old? Replace them. Are they brand new? Maybe they need to be broken in a bit.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    It does sound like a shoe problem. Make sure you have properly fitted shoes with good support.
    Or, how long are you running for and how fast? Maybe you started out too aggressively?
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Three things initially come to my mind knowing absolutely nothing about you.

Warm up and stretch before your actual run (I tend to walk the km to the park down the street from my place so my muscles are warm, do some dynamic stretches, then head on out) and remember to stretch (static) after your runs as well.

If you're just getting back into running, you're probably using old shoes that need to be replaced. New shoes might completely solve your issue.

Or, pick up a foam roller and roll those calves out! I started back into running after an ankle injury and had the pain you were talking about simply because I'd been so limited in the stretches I could do for a few months.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    check your shoes and also do calf raises while standing on the edge of a step

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]29509743.png[/url]
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Deep tissue massage also helps. Calf pain is pretty common for runners, even experienced ones. Also, hopefully you are not using zero drop shoes. They work for some people, but they also get a lot of people hurt, and usually that is in the calf region
  • LadyFlexible
    LadyFlexible Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My shoes aren't old but they're not new either and they fit comfortably. I run for 10 minutes each weak and try to run at least 5 mil/hr.

Perhaps I am being too aggressive
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I found that new shoes with more or less support, will help as well as keeping at it, little by little. Baby steps are crucial! I went to a New Balance store and talked to the staff. They were helpful and showed me a few options. I also learned to pace myself and do a mix of walking and jogging with LOADS of stretching before and after (with ice and ibuprofen if needed). Good luck!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Get fitted for shoes.
    Do a warm up walk/light jog and active stretching.
    Run slower.
    Increase your foot turnover.
    Stretch/roll after.

If all fail, try running at a different time of day.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Three things initially come to my mind knowing absolutely nothing about you.

Warm up and stretch before your actual run (I tend to walk the km to the park down the street from my place so my muscles are warm, do some dynamic stretches, then head on out) and remember to stretch (static) after your runs as well.

If you're just getting back into running, you're probably using old shoes that need to be replaced. New shoes might completely solve your issue.

Or, pick up a foam roller and roll those calves out! I started back into running after an ankle injury and had the pain you were talking about simply because I'd been so limited in the stretches I could do for a few months.

Definitely all of this!
  • LadyFlexible
    Options
    I think I do need to learn to warm up and stretch.
    I have one question though? What calf rolling?
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    May need more electrolytes (Sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium).
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Check your form. I know I used to get crazy sore shins when I first started running, because I was heel-striking - with calf issues, I would guess you're running "on your toes", so to speak. I went to a "good form running clinic" at my local Fleet Feet (specialty running store) that I heard about when I went in to get fitted for new running shoes (do NOT buy your first pair from Dick's or the internet - go to an actual running store). I learned how to run with a mid-foot strike, and ALL of my pain went away.

Other things you can do - slow down your pace, shorten your stride and increase your foot turnover ("ideal" is 180 steps per minute...check your turnover by counting how many times your right foot hits the ground in one minute - if it is less than 90, you need to work up to 90)....warm up before (5-10 minute walk, or 5-10 minutes of standing exercises like marching/jogging in place, butt kicks, high knees, etc)....stretch REALLY well AFTER you finish (hold your stretches for 30-60 seconds - and NEVER stretch cold muscles)....foam roll as needed (another thing your local running store can advise you on)...sometimes, if I really pushed hard and I'm still tight after stretching and rolling, I'll use the heating pad. :)

ETA - also, make sure you're getting enough sodium, potassium, and magnesium. Deficits in any or all can cause muscle cramps. I used to get HORRIBLE, debilitating toe cramps while swimming before I started tracking my intake of those 3 items.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I run... A lot. I'm currently training for a half. Several things come to mind. It could be any of them, none of them or all of them. I don't profess to be an expert by any means...

Even if your shoes fit comfortably, they may not be the right shoes for you and how you run. Get fitted at a running store. Pay a little extra for the shoes. Take your current shoes with you. They'll look at the wear on them, watch how you walk, run, etc. Most will even let you try shoes and bring them back (yes, even used) for 30 days.

Make sure you're stretching before and after you run. A lot of people are great at the before the run or the after the run, but not both.

Drink plenty of water. Cramps can come from lack of hydration (but you're not running great distances at this point, so not as likely).

Walk before you run. If you've not run in a long time, walk some before you run and after. Or take a few steps back and just walk for a few weeks.

Foam rollers do help or massages (you can massage your own calves)

Consider yoga, strength training, other cardio to help your body on non running days. It works the muscles differently from running, can help improve your overall fitness level, etc.

Go slower. No matter how slow you run, you're still running and you're still better than every single person sitting on the couch saying that they can't do it.

Don't quit... Keep trying and keep working. Every runner had to start some time. And the one thing I know is no matter when you start, you can become a great runner if you want to.

Running stores are also great places to meet runners, learn more tricks and tips, get support, advice, etc.

• Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I don't get cramps but my calf muscle tighten up alot esp since there is a hill right when I start out my door, but when i warm up my calves loosen up. eat a lot of banana's and almonds and drink lots of water.

I'm planning on a 10 miler today after work and ate three bananas and been drinking a lot of water already. I'll have one more banana before I head out with a handful of almonds.
  • LadyFlexible
    Options
    I won't lie I haven't' been good on my potassium/mag and water. I probably do need to warm up and stretch before I run. So I will start doing those things. Also I might do some swimming at least once a weak to give myself a break. I actually already do strength training but I might need to extend it to leg work outs as well.

What's rolling btw?
  • LadyFlexible
    Options
    I'm sorry for necroing. I tried stretching and warming up and it helped a little. It turned out I had gotten into a bad habit of cat walking while I ran. So I'm ready to get back into the races again! :D
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Most likely cause is trying to do too much, too soon. What is your fitness level, how much can you comfortably run, etc?
  • LadyFlexible
    Options
    I try to be exercise for, at least 10 minutes, everyday. 30 at the most. Albeit I've had a hard time tracking lately. I was able to run at least for 12 minutes but I'd these horrible cramps in my legs and then I had to start reducing the minutes. I'd try to sprint while running.
  • CraziiMaddii
    Options
    Sretching, yoga and a foam roller (research self myofascial release) as well as staying hydrated with an electrolyte drink will all help stop cramping.