help - lost my willpower!

Options
Last Sunday I weighed myself after trying really hard all week eating about 1000 calories a day but I hadn't lost anything! Since then I've not been able to count calories anymore and have been eating all the wrong things. I want to get back on the diet but just can't seem to find the motivation if its not paying off. Any advice?

Replies

• kiwimcg
    kiwimcg Posts: 9
    Options
    Have you tried doing a low carb diet?? This is very effective for some people. I am doing the Primal diet at the moment (done 2 weeks now) and Have already lost 2 kg with little effort. Might be something to look into? You need to find what works for your body - and perhaps you are like me where calorie counting isn't very effective?
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    That is the problem with willpower - one tends to lose it. The better approach is lifestyle change and making small changes one at the time, rather than trying to go down to 1000 kcal.
    Your body will resist losing weight in starvation mode.

You should have at least 1200 kcal (although that is difficult to sustain in long term too), but you should try and eatback any exercise calories you earn. It sounds scary - but it does make you lose weight.
    Make a list of easy changes and start with that first.. Lower the bar on what has to be done - eat a bit more and choose healthier and more filling options, do 10 mins of exercise for starters, etc.
    Do not give up just because you are not doing it ALL at once.
    Small steps!

Good luck!
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    Also, it really helps to make friends on here. Most peope are in the same boat and very supportive!
    Send some invitations :)
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Well, no better time than now to jump back on the wagon, right?

1000 calories is probably just too low for your body. You may have simply shocked your system, you may have made it think you were starving! Try starting over and meeting at least 1200, or set your weight loss goal a bit lower (.5 lb a week) and eat a bit more. Some people simply need more calories!

Don't give up.
  • chrisallcock
    chrisallcock Posts: 173
    Options
    just keep goin, we all have our bad weeks, the key is not to let it dis-hearten you although i know its hard, juzst tell yourself you wont let the fat win, shout at your scales if you have too then plan your week ahead and give your body fat hell :)
  • Fr4z
    Fr4z Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Stick with it and you'll get there...it can sometimes be a long road but well worth the end results.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    we dont always lose weight each week..

our bodies adapt..dont get discouraged..when this happens all it should tell you, is its time to switch things up. try upping your intensity or change workouts..change up your calorie intake.

to keep plateaus away, make sure you're changing your routine every few months.

just keep at it..its not always about losing weight..its about eating healthy and living a healthy lifestyle..
  • jellicat
    jellicat Posts: 6
    Options
    wow - lots to think about. Thanks so much for the advice and support. I'll give it a go upping my calories to min 1200 and maybe cutting out carb. Don't have time to exercise which is a major problem as i have 2 kids - one is 4 months who I'm still breastfeeding so i need to be around for him all the time. Need to be bikini ready by end of month though!!!!
  • jellicat
    Options
    juzst tell yourself you wont let the fat win, shout at your scales if you have too then plan your week ahead and give your body fat hell :)
  • jellicat
    Options
    love this quote!!! Will keep telling it to myself! ;)
  • CirrusSky
    CirrusSky Posts: 3
    Options
    Wow, I just read this thread and a massive red light went off in my head. You are consuming about 1000 calories a day and breastfeeding??? I am not a nutritionist, but even I know that that is borderline irresponsible. The most basic search on Google will show you this:

"If you are breastfeeding you will need to eat an additional 500 calories a day. You may safely lose about four to five pounds each month without reducing your milk supply as long as you eat at least the minimum number of recommended servings. Weight loss should be gradual." (http://www.cpmc.org/services/pregnancy/information/postpartum-nutrition.html)

"In fact, she says, if a mother isn't feeding herself with enough nutritious foods, the number of "dirty diapers" goes down, a sign that your baby may not be getting enough to eat." (http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/your-nutritional-needs-while-breastfeeding)

Are you sure that you are taking proper care of yourself and your baby? This may sound harsh, but you may need to re-evaluate your 'need' to be bikini ready versus your health.

Good luck!