Options
2»

Replies

• Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Ditch Dr. Google and see a real doctor.

Yup. This. I self-diagnosed & turns out it wasn't even what I thought it was! Go see a podiatrist.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Get a nighttime foot brace and wear it. It is about $30 from Amazon.com. I have had great relief using then ( I got one for each foot).
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    My dad has flare-ups of this when he was doing multiple physical jobs in his 40's for awhile, he was in bad shape for months. I'm showing some of the early signs too, so I keep my calves and feet stretched to avoid the painful twinges. I'm barefoot around the house, but never go any significant distances or exercise without good supportive shoes.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I've had it twice. I vote for don't run at all and swim or cycle instead.
  • Spedangie
    Spedangie Posts: 108 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Find a podiatrist--and if you can find one that specializes in sports related conditions that's even better. Find a store that specializes in working with runners--NOT places like Dicks Sporting Goods or Athletes Foot, Foot Locker, etc--those stores just want to move shoes, not consider what you might need according to your foot structure and running habits. I agree that physical therapy, particularly a therapist that does ASTYM treatments could be very beneficial; at least it really helped my Achilles tendon issues. You will likely need stretching and some type of orthotic and rest-to keep running is not a good idea in any way right now! An anti-inflammatory medication might also be indicated.
    I think the key is getting the help of a good podiatrist, he or she can then help you with all the varied items that might be needed to treat and alleviate your situation. Good luck!
  • zeiset777
    Options
    I had it for a year, at it's worst I was crawling around the house and wasn't working. After being off for about 8 weeks, I started getting a little better. Arch supports, good pair of Brooks Adrenaline shoes, rolling my feet on a rolling pin, ice, hot water, and epsom salts, and def. check out this website!!!! https://www.facebook.com/PlantarFasciitisSurvivalGuide
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Arch supports are essential. Good shoes all the time whilst its painful. Pain management until it settles.
    Avoid distances without support. I have no idea whether you can run again for exercise.
    My plantar fascitis went away with the above and weightloss. Currently a couple of years since I had it. I swim.
    Its caused by the ligment in your foot over stretching as you push downwards (gravity etc.) because of arch dropping and or foot position ie shoes correct it.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    chucksel wrote: »
    OH YEAH! You'll know for sure if it is PF if when you get up in the morning and it is real sore to walk on for a bit until you "break it in" and it gets better/livable.

To be fair, this can also describe Achilles tendinitis--insertional AT can manifest as heel pain pretty similar to when PF shows up that way.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Orthotics could very well be the answer.

If the shoes are right there shouldn't be a need for orthotics.

I'd suggest that in this case switching to a minimalist shoe appears to have caused a problem but it's not clear what that problem is. It could be PF, although from the meagre description of symptoms I'd say that's less likely than other issues, that orthotics could exacerbate.

As many are saying, the originaor should get a proper diagnosis.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The best thing I did was get to the GP, then the podiatrist for orthotics and exercises. I took up dragon boat paddling for cardiovascular fitness as bush walking was out for about three years in my case.
  • brandybee74
    Options
    I had my husband build me a box for stretching my calves. It sits right next to the bed and it's the first thing I do each morning. Preventive maintenance at this point as I haven't had a flare up in a year or so. The box is great and was very easy to build with a bit of scrap plywood that we had around. This isn't my box, but it looks just like this one.
    v7coacipdg9a.jpg

This is a great idea! Stretching essential. I also iced my heel and arch and that helped. I also found that rolling my arch along a tennis ball or water ball was helpful too. Stretching goes a long way with making your heel and arch feel better. Good luck!