TOM and weight loss

Options
Hi all ive only been following MFP for a week and fri is my weigh in day - but anyday now is TOM - so is it just going to be disheartening to weigh myself - i know i retain water at the best of times especially at this time and i dont want to get on the scales and see they have gone up instead of down but at same time im itching to know if its working!! Any advice please xx

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    if you get on and your weight goes up..dont be disheartened..it'll drop again when the bloat goes away. for me..my weight goes up by sometimes 5 whole lbs during that TOM.
  • mollymoo89
    mollymoo89 Posts: 202
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself if you know you'll be disheartened. Just wait till after ;)
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Your body will fluctuate multiple times a day due to water weight. Best bet would be to weigh yourself at a consistent time or in the morning after you've just crawled out of bed. Just be consistent and don't worry about the temporary water gain.
  • cookiequeen2011
    Options
    You might find that with a different way of eating it changes. For me I now lose more weight when I have my period. Go figure!! And if that doesn't happen for you then remember that it will go afterwards.
  • ceri1980
    ceri1980 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't weigh on Friday I would weigh next week instead. With TOM and your body adjusting to your new eating habits you may be happier with next weeks result!

Good Luck!
  • bridetobe310711
    Options
    WHATS TOM?X
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    WHATS TOM?X
    time of the month...
  • bridetobe310711
    Options
    WHATS TOM?X
    time of the month...

THANKS!! :D
  • xFrancescax
    xFrancescax Posts: 33
    Options
    gosh, don't worry if your weight goes up when aunt flo visits.....she makes me gain up to 7...yes7lbs in that week!! very bloaty.
  • maillekelly
    maillekelly Posts: 132
    Options
    Guys, when you say you gain pounds during your period, do you lose ALL of it straight after you come off it? I'm on period right now and freaking out I feel HUGE!! I haven't weighed myself for obvious reasons, my last weigh in i was 139lb and 5ft8 and going to weigh myself on monday, if i see im 140lb or something will I have to take that that I have actually put ON weight?! I'm so scared I feel bigger than I have done in AGES, im so annoyed I was making such good progress, but I don't see how I could of put on weight I have never cheated, have still been exercising loads and only eat 1200 cals a day! I hate TOM!!!
  • CrisUndies
    CrisUndies Posts: 40
    Options
    I can completely relate! What ive learnt from this week DON'T STEP ON THE SCALE till the end of it! Continue your exercise, watch your sodium and salt intake and the water retention will drop as fast as it started.

Well done on your progess so far! Amazing! :)
  • xFrancescax
    xFrancescax Posts: 33
    Options
    Guys, when you say you gain pounds during your period, do you lose ALL of it straight after you come off it?
    yes weight goes when tom over.