How can I cut calories without having to cut out the foods that I like?

Options
A typical day of food for me goes like:

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs, 1 oat bran bagel, 2 slices Colby jack cheese and a cup of grape juice.

Mid morning snack: a banana or a low fat yogurt or like a handful of plain Cheerios.

Lunch: a steak or a pork chop with a salad and Russian dressing.

Afternoon snack: during the weekday, I always get a customized vanilla bean Frappuccino from Starbucks with Java chips, a shot of white mocha syrup and caramel sauce.

Dinner: typically a meat and pasta dish like spaghetti and meat sauce or baked ziti. I take a dinner plateful no seconds.

Snack: I usually drink a cup of Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate before bed.

There are some things I don't think I can give up like red meat (I hate chicken, turkey and fish), the Frappuccino or the pasta. Is there anyway I can eat them and still lose weight if I just burn the calories through exercise?

Replies

• zap5
    zap5 Posts: 38 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    One word, moderation
    dat breakfast, make that one slice of cheese, half a cup of grape juice and incorporate some great h20
    skip out on the russian dressing
    daily fraps from starbucks? nah, weekly, make it a treat, twice a week if youre rly that into it
    skip the hot chocolate before bed, unnecessary sugars
  • procolorer
    procolorer Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Just eat smaller portions- weigh them out to get an accurate calorie count. If it fits in my calories I eat it. :)
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If you log everything, how far over are you going? You don't have to give up any of that forever, but if you are going way over your calorie goal eating that way, you may have to choose which things to enjoy each day out of your list of stuff you like.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Have you calculated the calories of your "typical" day? How far away are you from being in a deficit? You have to do some finagling. If you want the starbucks, you might need to have an ounce less meat, or use a lower calorie dressing than the russian. Etc.

Remember to weigh everything on a food scale.
  • zap5
    Options
    also relax on the red meats, maybe alternate between steak and chicken daily and start throwing in some fish and beans as alternates to add to your pastas
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros or flexible dieting.
    80% whole or minimally processed foods, 10% of the somewhat questionable, and 10% of whatever you want.

How it looks:
    2000 calorie day:
    1600 cals of minimally processed food
    200 cals of questionabke food
    200 calories of delicious yumyums

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I know this is not the answer you want, but there's no way you can maintain a healthy nutrition balance by drinking grape juice, a frapacchino and a cup of hot chocolate every day. That's probably half your daily calories in the form of pure sugar!
  • Eagerlylookingforward
    Options
    You really need to cut out carbs in your liquids, so the daily hot chocolate and fraps need to be sugar free. In fact if you can cut them out you will notice a huge savings in calories. There are other noodles that are made with rice, yellow beans, udon etc. try them instead of regular pasta. It may take a few tries, but you really will start enjoying them more than regular pasta.
  • arditarose
    Options
    You really need to cut out carbs in your liquids, so the daily hot chocolate and fraps need to be sugar free. In fact if you can cut them out you will notice a huge savings in calories. There are other noodles that are made with rice, yellow beans, udon etc. try them instead of regular pasta. It may take a few tries, but you really will start enjoying them more than regular pasta.

No
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give up anything you love, just cut down on the more calorie-laden stuff. Think sugar and starchy carbs, plus the stuff that sneaks up on you like dressings and condiments.

Mix half as much grape juice with some sparkling mineral water to make a spritzer.

Try eating only half the bagel each morning, with one slice of cheese.

Try sugar free cocoa. If you use milk, try almond milk instead.

For the pasta dinners, try cutting about a third of the amount and adding a salad. Look for some new, lower-calorie dressings...either vinegar or yogurt based, as they can be delicious and save a LOT of calories.

And definitely save the Starbucks for a treat, not an everyday snack.

Maybe not eat red meat every meal...branch out with some delicious poultry and seafood dishes which will save some calories. With the right spices and sauces, you can hardly tell that meat sauce has turkey instead of beef.

Keep real portion sizes in mind...for proteins, that's the size of your palm. A 12-ounce steak is like 3 meals, not 1. There's nothing wrong with mixing proteins, either. A smaller piece of steak with some shrimp on top for an extra low-cal protein punch is a good choice. You still get all the flavor, but don't have to worry about the extra calories.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

No

Care to explain why? :smile:
    I often see just plain "NO" as a reply here. Which isn't really a helpful response at all

• galgenstrick
    Options

No

I often see just plain "NO" as a reply here. Which isn't really a helpful response at all

I agree, it seemed like pretty good advice to me.
  • rnjcb
    rnjcb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It may not be for everyone, but I make my own frappucinos at home. I use almond milk, a scoop of protein powder and coffee flavoring (Oregon Trail makes different flavors that give a little coffee taste with vanilla, caramel or mocha). I use my Nutra Bullet to blend together and my total calories for the drink are around 150 (give or take, depending on how much almond milk or flavor mixer I use). Much less than the Starbucks equivalent.
    I would also get creative with the dressing...the creamy dressings tend to be pretty high in calories. Consider making your own in batches to use over several days.
    It's still amazing to me how quickly calories add up when we add to our foods; like dressing or flavoring for our drinks.
    Best of luck!
  • arditarose
    Options

No

I just don't think it's really appropriate to tell someone they're drinks need to be sugar free. Will you save calories? Sure. You can eat regular pasta too. If the OP wants to try noodles made out of yellow beans, fine. I also don't know how someone could just assume that another person would start enjoying yellow bean noodles better than regular pasta.
  • OhReally42
    OhReally42 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You could try the sugar free options for the Swiss miss, I drink that at times when I'm at work and it's usually 60 calories vs 120, as for the frappe I'd suggest to keep it weekly too. I love frappe's too but I'd drink my week away if I still drank them that often =P (I could never get rid of red meat either, I like chicken more but I still can't do it so I don't blame you)
  • zap5
    Options

[/quote]

I just don't think it's really appropriate to tell someone they're drinks need to be sugar free. Will you save calories? Sure. You can eat regular pasta too. If the OP wants to try noodles made out of yellow beans, fine. I also don't know how someone could just assume that another person would start enjoying yellow bean noodles better than regular pasta. [/quote]

...shes asking for help on how to cut back calories while still having the things she wants..where is your logic

• arditarose
    Options
    zap5 wrote: »

I just don't think it's really appropriate to tell someone they're drinks need to be sugar free. Will you save calories? Sure. You can eat regular pasta too. If the OP wants to try noodles made out of yellow beans, fine. I also don't know how someone could just assume that another person would start enjoying yellow bean noodles better than regular pasta. [/quote]

...shes asking for help on how to cut back calories while still having the things she wants..where is your logic

[/quote]

She said she wants pasta, so I assumed she meant real pasta. Sorry. Carry on.
  • zap5
    Options
    zap5 wrote: »

I just don't think it's really appropriate to tell someone they're drinks need to be sugar free. Will you save calories? Sure. You can eat regular pasta too. If the OP wants to try noodles made out of yellow beans, fine. I also don't know how someone could just assume that another person would start enjoying yellow bean noodles better than regular pasta.

[/quote]

She said she wants pasta, so I assumed she meant real pasta. Sorry. Carry on.[/quote]

your comments still provided nothing lol but ya we'll carry on

• galgenstrick
    Options

No

430 calories in a grande frappuccino, 170 calories in 8oz. of grape juice, 138 calories in 1 packet of swiss miss.

That's 738 calories completely wasted. I think it's completely appropriate.
  • arditarose
    Options

No

430 calories in a grande frappuccino, 170 calories in 8oz. of grape juice, 138 calories in 1 packet of swiss miss.

That's 738 calories completely wasted. I think it's completely appropriate.

Touche.